CB Radio Direction Finding Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

iloverf

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for a good CB Radio direction finding setup.

I thought about buying a DDF2020T - but it says 100mhz and above.

Thinking about something like this for portability and the ability to have a waterfall/spectrum scope.
Recent 10-15W RS-918 SSB HF SDR HAM Transceiver Transmit Power TX 0.5-30MHz V0.6 MCHF with a magnetic mount antenna to get close and then switch to some kind of handheld loop once I get close.

Anyone that's done this want to share some tips? A specific setup? Thanks

iloverf

Premium Subscriber
A waterfall/spectrum scope on an SDR is infinitely more useful than a standard CB radio. For example, we have an agitator that (most likely) has multiple antennas with varying gain/polarity & also has an amplifier and likes to vary its output power from almost no power to hundreds of watts. This may fool some into thinking there are different stations making the transmissions - with a spectrum scope, I can see the transmitters "signature" - (AM source I'm after) how far right or left of frequency they are, harmonics, etc. and easily determine it's the same transmitter. Additionally, signal strength can be more accurately and linearly displayed. I guess that wouldn't be necessary in all situations, but with this particular RF source it would be helpful.

Looking for a commercially made antenna or some detailed plans for the right kind of loop antenna.

Back in my CB days we had a guy who did nothing but cause a lot of hate.. "CB Savage" was his handle...
So we decided to hunt him down and "kill" the interference...
Didn't matter how much power he put out or where he transmitted from with the ability to triangulate on his location..
Let's just say our scare tactics made our airwaves clean and clear again!
I used a loop antenna just like this depicts.. (although I can't seem to find anything else on it) here is info I found:

antenna-mag-loop-coupling-gamma-dims.jpg
This info came from: 80-20m Mag Loop

WB9YBM

I'm looking for a good CB Radio direction finding setup.

I thought about buying a DDF2020T - but it says 100mhz and above.

Part of the situation is that with the antenna set-ups the RDF systems use, the antennas need to be a certain distance apart (I once read 1/4 wavelength), which is going to be a bit cumbersome at 27MHz!

iloverf

Premium Subscriber
We'll see how these do...

SuperFudd

Once upon a time, long ago and far away, There was a CB jammer about 1/2 a block away. He would get crazy drunk, fire up his "dirty" linear and tear up the band. Messing with him could be dangerous so what I did was switch my walkie talkie to low power and transmit into a dummy load. Then I would record him and play him back to him. He figured I was maybe 5 miles away. This drove him to the point that he no longer had any fun so he found other ways to waste his time.

Status
Not open for further replies.