• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Radio help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don57

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to purchase a CB Radio for a couple of upcoming road trips in 2022 and 2023. I own a 2016 Honda CRV so there is not much room so it would have to be compact. If possible I would like one that is capable of scanning through the 40 channels. Does anyone have suggestions on a radio and installation ideas ? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
As far as scanning goes I would highly recommend the President line of CB radios that have the ASC feature. It does an exceptional job of bypassing both natural and manmade noise and only stopping on actual CB transmissions. The only downside I have found in this is that the scanning is carrier operated only, there is no provision for a timed scan control. Always busy channels will always tie up the scanning feature. Maybe someday President will add timed scan control to the menu. I have the President McKinley radio, it is DIN sized. That may help in your situation.

slowmover

Antenna system matters most. The specific radio is almost an afterthought, by comparison.

SIRIO 5000 (lay over style) on PL-145 mag mount can’t really be beat for the type.

How to get coax out of vehicle is the problem to solve.

As a temp solution I’ve used memory foam with a “drilled” hole and a hard piece of tubing. Close window on the whole. Have to compress fairly far, so cut to spec.

An NMO-mount antenna would be a far better solution.

Agreed on PRESIDENT brand.
McKinley model isn’t big and offers “more”.

An external speaker brings up RX not apparent with most built-in speakers. KES-5 (used) is bomb-proof and time-tested. Could be mounted firing-forward into drivers footwell from under seat.

The earlier you start the more time you’ll have to become acquainted with use. It’s not plug n’play as to what’s to be heard.

Some radio traffic follows patterns, some does not. Accent, dialect and “bad” or poor radios in use by others only complicates matters. Many users thus just give up early on. Choose to be offended or can’t correlate what’s heard with what’s seen.

Some US regions don’t have much chatter. Mainly population-densityTime of day plays a role = late start driving at 0930 thru 1900 may not hear as much. In metro areas it’s from 0530 to 0900; afterwards it’s wrecks & lane closures.

AM-19 carries most truck traffic, 15, 17, 21 are GTG to keep tabs on.

Truck drivers tend to keep a radio on low and are monitoring for key words. “Mile Marker” is the big one, direction of travel is another.

See recent thread on Interstate travel.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
CMX760 Bearcat Off-Road Compact CB Radio with Mic Display
CMX760 Bearcat Off-Road Compact CB Radio with Mic Display

I had the CMX560, the little brother of that radio.
Not a high tier radio, but fit the need I had very well. I rarely use CB any more, did heavily at one time. I needed a small radio that wouldn't take up space on the dashboard. I mounted the RF deck for that behind the rear seat in my truck. The cable to the mic is a standard 4 pair RJ45. I ran an extension cable and just put an RJ-45 jack under the dash. When I needed the radio, I could just pull the mic out and plug it in. When I didn't. it just got rolled up and put away.

If you are just looking for something to monitor local traffic and make a few local contacts, that radio properly installed might be a good option for you.
-Power the CB directly off the battery to get clean DC power. Avoid the urge to just use the 'cheap and easy' cigarette lighter plugs. Those are a good source of noise.
-As said above, your radio is -only- as good as your antenna. Don't spend $100 on a CB and then hook it up to a $20 antenna and expect it to work like a $100 radio. It's not, it's going to work like a $20 antenna.
-External speakers can really help with intelligibility. If you have room for one, it's a good upgrade. The small speaker in those hand held mics will give you poor audio.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
+1 for the CMX-760. I have started using them for the fleet of vehicles I support, when CB radio is called for. Good performer, & reliable.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
As far as scanning goes I would highly recommend the President line of CB radios that have the ASC feature. It does an exceptional job of bypassing both natural and manmade noise and only stopping on actual CB transmissions. The only downside I have found in this is that the scanning is carrier operated only, there is no provision for a timed scan control. Always busy channels will always tie up the scanning feature. Maybe someday President will add timed scan control to the menu. I have the President McKinley radio, it is DIN sized. That may help in your situation.

Are you able to lock out those always busy channels from the scan?

K6EEN

I have this radio --- the form factor and features are interesting. It went bad (will lock up in TX mode until you unplug the power cord) after a few months of use. Had to go to a more bullet proof radio - Uniden BC-880 and BC-980SSB series. See some of the CMX-760 negative reviews on Amazon, it definately has issues with production quality, though as a concept, it is a great idea.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Maybe I've been lucky re production issues / reliability. But so far have gotten no gripes from customers. They don't transmit all that much, but I'd hear about it if there was ever a problem. Some folks might go (and have gone) weeks without realizing that the company VHF radio isn't getting out because they tore the antenna off - again - but the less-used CB radio, they're right on it.

Ravenkeeper

I am looking to purchase a CB Radio for a couple of upcoming road trips in 2022 and 2023. I own a 2016 Honda CRV so there is not much room so it would have to be compact. If possible I would like one that is capable of scanning through the 40 channels. Does anyone have suggestions on a radio and installation ideas ? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I was going to run with the CMX760 in our '16 CR-V, until my wife went and traded it in on a MB GLC300. PLUS, she watched "Joy Ride" with me and no longer wants to have a CB in her car.

Status
Not open for further replies.