• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Radio OK Nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I used to chat with my then-girlfriend in the mid-90s. She lived about an hour away so that gave us more time to chat. I had a radio that looked similar to the PC68LTX today, with SSB functionality.

russbrill

Confronting bad actors across the radio works. Kind words. Persistence.
You’ll get support.

We now live in a nation where the majority couldn’t install and tune a CB without real help. The ones that can (are on the air) aren’t so many.

They already take pride in it. Address that part of their being.

I've noticed that also... Installing an antenna on the roof with a mast and guy wires Amazes the Smartphone crowd. Most youngster can't seem to do anything without an App :cool:

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I've noticed that also... Installing an antenna on the roof with a mast and guy wires Amazes the Smartphone crowd. Most youngster can't seem to do anything without an App :cool:
More than likely, it bores them. I find they don't seem to have any interest.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Does your radio have the SCAN feature? If yes, then use it, you'll find activity...

Haha, funny... The only CB radio I have left in my Arsenal is my Juiced up Galaxy DX 2547... there was a time that Channel 20 and 21 was active with networking related to react. Trucks moved up and down at one time, as I say there is no CB antennas on any of the trucks. Channel 29 used to be a nice chat channel for four wheelers on the move but that's going back over 10 years.

No unfortunately CB is dead as a doornail here.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So I live fairly close to a truck stop and one of my favorites was the lot lizards actually had handheld CB radios, hahaha.

Looking for a good time, I'm over by the air pump LOL.

russbrill

Haha, funny... The only CB radio I have left in my Arsenal is my Juiced up Galaxy DX 2547... there was a time that Channel 20 and 21 was active with networking related to react. Trucks moved up and down at one time, as I say there is no CB antennas on any of the trucks. Channel 29 used to be a nice chat channel for four wheelers on the move but that's going back over 10 years.

No unfortunately CB is dead as a doornail here.

Without the SCAN feature, you'll miss a lot of activity. I have heard several conversations between vehicles (Hwy 99) this morning, and none of them were on 19 or 17..

WB9YBM

Without the SCAN feature, you'll miss a lot of activity. I have heard several conversations between vehicles (Hwy 99) this morning, and none of them were on 19 or 17..

Radio Shack used to have CBs that scanned, but I think this goes back about 40 years. Sounds like there might be others out there I haven't heard about yet?

WB9YBM

It sounds like there's at least a little bit of interest still out there--I don't know if it's enough to get a resurgence going. Maybe if a few of us started putting up a bit of a profile--a basic set-up in the car or at least a modest base station antenna maybe there'll be enough people asking what that's all about to get more people interested/active? We might not need the mobs like there used to be back in the '70s, but at least a few groups...?

p1879

Hopefully 11m skip will pick up slowly over the next few years--it is now legal to communicate beyond 150 miles on CB. There are frequent openings where channels 30+ are active with skip conversations, mostly in LSB, even now, but there are seasonal variations on how often this happens. Someone here noted channel 38 is a good indicator of propagation openings, it can be pretty popular with DXers.

CB thrives in many rural areas, and it is an important safety measure on many USFS logging roads, which have the proper channel posted. As trucks come down the grade, they announce that they are coming because the roads are narrow and they are hauling big weight under the influence of gravity. They are trying to get out as many loads a day as possible, and logging trucks careening down a mountain road are best encountered when you are expecting them--or better yet safely off the road.

Some old CB radios and some easily erected antennas would have been a godsend to isolated villages in Puerto Rico after the hurricane devastation. Arguably, they had a more robust communications capability in the 1980's during the CB craze. Message handling and routing, however, would have been problematic though, but it beats no communication at all.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep I always had a CB from the mid-60s to maybe early 90s. Always had one in the car through the 70s and 80s. I probably owned more 23 Channel units than 40 channel units.

My Galaxy DX 2547 has a feature that scans Channel 9 + 19. As I say for a while I would monitor the 11 meter CB band and programmed it so it scanned all 40 channels on my Icom r75. Since I live where the PA Turnpike meets the the Jersey Turnpike I would get a conversation once in a while between two trucks passing through. What amazes me is I'm in a heavy Trucking industrial area and I never see any CB antennas anymore.

russbrill

Yep I always had a CB from the mid-60s to maybe early 90s. Always had one in the car through the 70s and 80s. I probably owned more 23 Channel units than 40 channel units.

My Galaxy DX 2547 has a feature that scans Channel 9 + 19. As I say for a while I would monitor the 11 meter CB band and programmed it so it scanned all 40 channels on my Icom r75. Since I live where the PA Turnpike meets the the Jersey Turnpike I would get a conversation once in a while between two trucks passing through. What amazes me is I'm in a heavy Trucking industrial area and I never see any CB antennas anymore.

It's about 50/50 here when it comes to CB antennas on Commercial Trucks.. I'll bet about 8 out of 10 Owner Operators have a radio installed in their trucks. However, when it comes to company drivers the number is probably much lower.

K9DWB

QRT
I was a truck driver for 11 years. All trucks I drove had a CB except those on the first job, which took up 4 years. Let's see, I started with a Cobra 29 NW with WX. I bought it with a questionable peak/tune. A week later it was modded to run a Texas Star 250. Next was I think it was called a Mirage DX48, similar to a Galaxy but it was all black. I traded that at Bob's CB I80 in PA to buy a Magnum S9. Later that got Nitro knobs at a truck stop in VA. Then I bought a Galaxy 98VHP but never used it as the truck company I worked at had a very strict "no touch battery" rule. Last radio and likely the one I liked best was the Stryker 497HP. Not to mention a lot of antennas, some dual and some with a single driver's side. I did all my own installs and SWR checks. The part I disliked was the way CB went downhill being overrun by ignorant foul mouthed idiots. When my back EA's injured too much to drive the trucks, I sold my radios. But I just found the Texas Star in a box of truck stuff recently in the shed. Just me, I'll likely not pick up a CB mic again.

Status
Not open for further replies.