• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Radio OK Nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TampaFred

Still kicking in Tampa, lots of good folks and lots of jerks, including the ”legend in his own mind, world famous” silver daddy/29. Some things never change, but that dude is the worst of the worst.

J805

I spent alot of time on the CB about 10-15 years ago and did some T-Hunting too. I recently plugged in my old Cobra 148 to see what all was still going on out there and it was pretty quiet compared to what it use to be. I live about an hour north of Los Angeles. I think everyone is too busy on facebook and texting now..lol

FiveFilter

CB usage for social small-talk amongst strangers has largely fallen victim to the many digital devices on the Internet out there.

But for many truck drivers working on the Interstates, the CB radio is still the only and thus the most valuable tool for short-range communications between random strangers relating to road safety and how to get through or around traffic blockages.

As noted earlier, the use of CB is often more prevalent than ham frequencies, and much of that is due to its value to the working stiffs out there on the Interstates.

And yep, there are some misfits especially around some of the big cities who seem to be missing something in their lives so they try to fill in the voids by getting on the 11 meter band to create and/or dominate the conversation. But nothing's perfect.

TampaFred

And yep, there are some misfits especially around some of the big cities who seem to be missing something in their lives so they try to fill in the voids by getting on the 11 meter band to create and/or dominate the conversation. But nothing's perfect.

That's the perfect description of Tampa, all the surrouding areas are pretty mellow, lots of old timers and guys that just like radio, not that theres not a bad apple here or there from time to time, but as you said nothing is perfect.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Every single time I drive on a highway. There are spots of Texas where there is very little CB traffic; however, the IH35 and IH45 corridors are pretty active. IH20 varies depending on your location. Many people don't realize the benefit of having one. Yes, there is all that mindless drivel that drives most folks nuts. However, I have lost count of the number of times truckers have helped me steer around significant road situations such as the interstate shutting down, etc. I have followed their guidance through the back roads. Most of the truckers I encounter are solid. I dusted mine off during the eighties and never looked back. Soon, I will be adding a Shure Microphone to my rig.

I also find radio traffic on interstates in Missouri, Oklahoma and some parts of Iowa.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Very quiet in N. Macomb County, S.E. Michigan. I left a CB on for a few days checking CH9 & 19 and only heard a couple radio checks. I also checked upper channels typically used for S.S.B., quiet also. That would be a good thing if I wanted to actually use C.B. among local friends or from home to SUV. But if I wanted to talk to others, I think it would be pretty lonely.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
CB's pretty quiet here in Western NJ but when the band's open, uh boy! Some truckers are heard occasionally though as my QTH is near Route 31, the main artery running South to North. Lots of trucks. I have Channel 19 in my shortwave receiver's memory and check it daily to see if the band is open.

PACNWDude

I supporting a large fleet of semi tractors that all have Cobra 29LTD Classic radios installed in them, which do get used along the I-5 corridor. There is less traffic, and newer radios are built a lot cheaper and less robust than their older counterparts, but they are still in use. There are days when some of the maintenance bays look like a Loves Truck stop, with Cobra radios and FireStik antennas strewn about. While the tractors come pre-wired for CB, and have dual antennas mounted to the outside mirrors, only one is wired to where the radio is mounted in the headliner.

For vehicles that are going into the logging roads and hills, CB is still a must. It may be the only way to know what is travelling down the secondary roads.

NC1

CB is very active around here. I know of 5 channels that are used by the locals on mostly a daily basis - sometimes mornings, and sometimes evenings. Occasionally there are conversations on 8 to 10 channels. Many of those people are also on the Amateur repeaters and simplex. Also, GMRS is getting popular around here and almost all the repeater pairs are taken and used often during the week.
Weekends are busy in the morning but not so much during the day. On Friday and Saturday nights I will find people on all 3 services into late night, and sometimes into the wee hours of the morning. If there are a few who have been drinking all afternoon and evening it makes for a hilarious and dicey conversation.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
CB radio is alive and well on the interstates and here in my neighborhood. We have a loosely organized Neighborhood Watch group here that utilizes CB Channel 5/25 as well as GMRS/FRS for coms for weekend 'patrols'. I don't think anyone actually goes out and patrols unless there is a situation unfolding. Mostly folks monitoring with scanners and putting the word out when something happens. I use a Galaxy DX-2547 base station with an Antron 99 vertical antenna outside. In the realm of the radio spectrum, CB radio still has a presence.

JD
kf4anc

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Still kicking in Tampa, lots of good folks and lots of jerks, including the ”legend in his own mind, world famous” silver daddy/29. Some things never change, but that dude is the worst of the worst.
I spent alot of time on the CB about 10-15 years ago and did some T-Hunting too. I recently plugged in my old Cobra 148 to see what all was still going on out there and it was pretty quiet compared to what it use to be. I live about an hour north of Los Angeles. I think everyone is too busy on facebook and texting now..lol

A few years back, I did a t-hunt on a loud mouth, outside Detroit. It was fun to mess with his head, when he was acting up. I would ask him about stuff around his house, and he would get quiet, quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.