• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cb radio question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run mobile with a Wilson 1000 antenna I was wondering if in North America mostly Canada I haven't heard anything all week am and ssb I hope my radiodistribution still receiving all I hear is noise no skip coming in either is this normal

blakews2217

If you turn the squelch most of the way down you should hear a fair bit of static and little words here and there. If not you should check over your antenna and cable. If it all checks out, so an swr check. If it's low then I'd be lost or thinking that your areas dead. But I'm in Illinois ( near stl) and I hear someone in downtown Alton with probably a kilowatt on ch6 all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I run mobile with a Wilson 1000 antenna I was wondering if in North America mostly Canada I haven't heard anything all week am and ssb I hope my radiodistribution still receiving all I hear is noise no skip coming in either is this normal

Same here.
After 20 years of not having a CB in a vehicle, I purchased one for an upcoming road trip that will take me half way across the USA and back.
I'm a radio guy by trade, so I've got all the high end test equipment.
I've got a permanent NMO mount on top of a full size truck. I installed a Larsen NMO-27 on it.
I adjusted the antenna using a $20K+ piece of test gear out of my shop, and it's 1.03:1 SWR on channel 19.
Good antenna, tuned dang near perfectly.
The radio is right on frequency, 10hz off channel, which isn't even worth trying to adjust. It's receives just fine locally. Power output is a bit low, but that doesn't impact receiving.

Not hearing much here in California. If I get out away from town and power lines, I can occasionally hear someone, but not much.

Probably just dead atmospheric conditions at this point. I'd need to look and see what amateurs on 10 meters are saying about conditions to be sure, but I'll go with that.

NC1

If all your connections are good, and your squelch is open so you can hear all the background noise, keep listening to channel 6. If you are going to hear anything at all, that is where you will hear it first.

I was given 3 CB radio's (1 HT, 2 mobiles) and I occasionally turn them on from time to time just out of curiosity. I find that when I am expecting thunderstorms, the CB band seems to open up a little better than usual. Right now I expect storms tonight and I am hearing a lot of skip activity on channel 6, with somewhat less chatter on 21 and 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.