• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Radio: Realistic TRC-217

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbitdude22

Hello,

Just yesterday I happened to acquire a Realistic TRC-217: 40 CH CB Transciever
I have always been a radio scanner and my scanner could not pick up CB so I have never really learned much about CB until now. I will try to start looking for some general info on the internet; if you have any suggestions, that would be great.

But the real question is if there is an availible manual somewhere online for this transceiver. So far I have had no luck. So anybody out there have any places/suggestions?

gcgrotz

Radio Shack has lots of that stuff on their site, it may require a lot of digging around - I don't find their site to be the easiest to navigate - but they do have manuals.

n2mdk

Actually there really isn't much to that handheld CB turn it on set the squelch set it to one of the frequencies and listen. They don't scan they are more appliance than anything else. Try listening to channels 16, 22 seem to remember most of the crap was on those frequencies. It's been a long time since I used "chicken band".

CherokeeKid

4 year member here of CBRADIOFORUM.COM tons of info and good guys there, post this question there and youll get a real answer.

trace1

Turn On/Off switch to the On position, adjust volume, adjust Squelch, select Channel, press Push-to-talk button, begin speaking, release Push-To-Talk button, wait for response...

See not hard at all to operate this little CB radio. ;)

Attachments

• temp%20036.jpg
    temp%20036.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 17,413

redbird1999

I just got one too. Tune to Channel 19 - which is the "trucker's channel" - just listen or wait until you hear a truck go by and ask "Anybody got their ears on for a radio check?" If they can hear you, they will respond, never fails. It's a surprisingly strong for a handheld. Good Luck!

femustang

Manual for trc-217

Hey there
I see you have had a few replies on this but none seem to have a manual for you. While I tend to agree that this is a pretty simple radio to operate I also understand that tha having a manual for finding out things like specs for a charger/power supply (in this case two different items) would be handy. That said I also have recently purchased a pair of these and they came with all of the origional papers. The manual explains all of the basic functions, describes how to use the charger and, even includes a schematic. If you have not found a manual already I could scann this one and email it to you. HAve a good one

wilhelml

I just saw your post (femustang - from Jan 2010) about having a manual for a TRC-217. Although it is now Oct. 2010, I would like to obtain a copy of the manual. I would be willing to pay reasonable reproduction costs.

Thanks.

femustang

trc-217 manual

Hi There
I did not hear back before so I never got around to scanning the booklet, the Radios are currently in my storage unit but I will be going over there tomorrow anyway so i will pull the booklet and get it scanned for you. is there a particular format you prefer? I can do it as a photo, document, or a pdf file. Have a good one
Dan

wilhelml

Trc-217

femustang -

Sorry it took me so long to repley. Any format that is convenient for you will work. However *.pdf or *.jpg would be the easiest for me to use.

Thanks for you help.

xerodoc

Hey there
I see you have had a few replies on this but none seem to have a manual for you. While I tend to agree that this is a pretty simple radio to operate I also understand that tha having a manual for finding out things like specs for a charger/power supply (in this case two different items) would be handy. That said I also have recently purchased a pair of these and they came with all of the origional papers. The manual explains all of the basic functions, describes how to use the charger and, even includes a schematic. If you have not found a manual already I could scann this one and email it to you. HAve a good one

Could I ask you to email me a copy of the TR-217 user manual? I need to see in external power cord specs. If you have it in PDF format, that would be ideal. Let me know if you need my contact info and I'll get it to you. Thank you in advance.

xerodoc

Thanks for the schematic. It'll come in handy if I have to repair these in the future. I figured out that the input current should be 600ma.

ka2wey

DC power needed for TRC-217

The dc power requirements for a 4 watt cb radio or handheld cb is a 13.8 volt power supply capable of delivering
at least 2 amps. It preferably should be a regulated power supply. You will need a this type of power supply to obtain the full 4 watts of rf output.

Last edited:

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
I would just google it, as I'm not sure Realistic is even around anymore. Reason cb won't pick up on a scanner is that it is very low power hf or shortwave radio. Scanners only pick up vhf/uhf frequencies, junless you pick up a shortwave receiver. Check your local radio shack also, as they were the only place I ever saw Realistic equipment sold

rexgame

Drexel Hill, Upper Darby Twp, Delaware Co, Pennsyl
I would just google it, as I'm not sure Realistic is even around anymore. Reason cb won't pick up on a scanner is that it is very low power hf or shortwave radio. Scanners only pick up vhf/uhf frequencies, junless you pick up a shortwave receiver. Check your local radio shack also, as they were the only place I ever saw Realistic equipment sold

You only saw Realistic equipment sold there because Realistic was a Radio Shack brand of Tandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.