CB radio straight from database won't scan in SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortoma61

I updated both my full database and firmware yesterday, tried it again but still won't work. I have a Uniden SDS200. I get "Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan" error if I save CB radio frequencies direct from the database and make it a favorite, then select it by itself in "Select Lists to Monitor" in the scanner. I used both Sentinel to save it from the database and also BuTel ARC536PRO software. Does the same thing in both software systems.

Not a really big deal because if I want C.B. radio bad enough, I can create a new conventional favorite list from scratch and enter the C.B. frequencies by typing them in or use the much quicker copy and paste method. I guarantee you it would work then! But just wondering why this will not work properly as it should, directly written to the scanner? Could someone else try it to see it it's a dud for them too? If it doesn't work then somebody ( me maybe ) should submit to radioreference as a non-functioning part of the database. Anything else I have ever saved and written to the scanner has worked except for one DMR trunked system in my local area. But I got that working and also submitted that to RR admins. That was due to LCN numbers not being right. But this C.B. radio thing has me stumped and wondering. If anyone has the time, go ahead and try it, especially if you run a Uniden SDS200. This is really a strange one!!

mortoma61

Make sure the correct Service Type that is assigned to those channels is turned on in the radio.
I have no idea how to do that in the radio. Only had it a month and I work more than I'm home. Please explain how to do that. When I posted I tried to indicate I was fairly new to this game but 'power user' folks always seem to think you're at their level. Baby steps, please...Thanks

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
If you are just using the scanner
1 press menu
2 scroll down to service type
3 press enter or yes
4 scroll down and press yes for each service you want to turn on or off.
5 press menu until all the way back out to scan

mortoma61

If you are just using the scanner
1 press menu
2 scroll down to service type
3 press enter or yes
4 scroll down and press yes for each service you want to turn on or off.
5 press menu until all the way back out to scan
Ok thanks! For some strange reason, I changed every single freekin' frequency ( one by one, I hated it ) to 'Custom 1' service type and then they scan. I don't understand why 'Other' service type did not work and Custom 1 did! I also don't understand why it can't be in the database the right way to begin with. But thank you all for helping me out. I actually will not probably scan the CB radio service anyway since nobody uses it anymore and modern scanners only add the freqs. below 30Mhz as an afterthought anyway. The sensitivity for low freqs. like these on the SDS200 means someone would probably have to be within a mile of me for me to even hear them anyway. It was more that I just didn't understand why it doesn't "work right out of the box" from the database like it should. At least if you ask me anyway.

mortoma61

Look under view 4th icon says edit profile
View attachment 70176
Now I understand what you are talking about. The 'Monitor' column is the same thing as setting your 'Select Lists to Monitor' in the list in the scanner when you push the squelch button and the select 'Set Scan Selection'. So yes, when I first had the problem I did set the "CB radio" favorite to 'On' in my 'Select Lists to Monitor'. So that was never the problem. I thought I made it clear that I had it set to scan as the only favorite to monitor at all in the whole scanner but it gave me the "Nothing to Scan" message. So it was kruser that gave me the right advice, it was service types all along that was the issue.

brettbolt

Is there any way to edit an existing favorite list frequency in Sentinel? Whenever I click on the frequency field it never lets me change it. Same with some of the other fields.

The only way I could figure out how to do it was to manually edit the .hpd file in a text editor.

rcool101

Feed Provider
Is there any way to edit an existing favorite list frequency in Sentinel? Whenever I click on the frequency field it never lets me change it. Same with some of the other fields.

The only way I could figure out how to do it was to manually edit the .hpd file in a text editor.
In Sentinel ... top menu is a Star..Click on it. Edit Favorite Lists

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Ok, will try that!

Glad you figured it out! The "Other" Service Type was likely turned off. Custom 1 may default to On so that explains why that worked when you changed all the channels to that service type.

Since these type scanners came on the market, it seems that disabled service types may make up for the majority of reasons why users radios still won't scan.
I'm glad someone pointed you in the correct direction in getting to the service type settings in Sentinel or through the radio's menu's. It can be confusing.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Since these type scanners came on the market, it seems that disabled service types may make up for the majority of reasons why users radios still won't scan.
I'm glad someone pointed you in the correct direction in getting to the service type settings in Sentinel or through the radio's menu's. It can be confusing.

Such an easy thing to overlook when programming. Once you solve the 'Nothing To Scan' dilemma, you won't forget it ever again. That, and checking the Download and Monitor boxes for systems you want to listen to. Someone here made a checklist to refer to when the Nothing To Scan dialog pops up. Anyone having problems usually solve them by going back over the programming and making sure all of those items are correct. Simple things, but very frustrating if you don't know what to do.

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.