• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Radio Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

UV is a bit higher than 10Mhz, so I stand corrected. But it didn't use an antenna as we are discussing, so, I dunno. I've got a bunch of secret squirrel stories but I would have people at my door if I told you.

A neighbor of mine who worked on secret squirrel "laser beam" stuff said his lab was working on UV vertical optical communications reflecting from cloud formations and atmospheric water vapor. There was an Australian hammy who built a pirate station using modulated mercury vapor lights to go quite a distance.

RFI-EMI-GUY

UV is a bit higher than 10Mhz, so I stand corrected. But it didn't use an antenna as we are discussing, so, I dunno. I've got a bunch of secret squirrel stories but I would have people at my door if I told you.

The stuff my neighbor regularly worked on, when pointed at a target determined the coordinates from afar and landed GPS steered munitions at the feet of enemies, usually, except once, when the coordinates defaulted to home after changing batteries, oops.

brizzotheizzo

I'm looking to purchase two CB radios & two antennas. Prefer mobile.
Myself: I reside in an apartment. I have ability of placing an antenna outside my window which will rest on a stable building.
The person I hope to communicate with resides 15 miles away. They have full ability for an antenna no restrictions.

Does anyone have recommendations for Mobile CBs, Amps & Antennas.
In advance thank kindly for any suggestions:giggle:
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to mention that you could probably talk to your friend on a good side band CB at that distance. A stock side band CB can easily cover 15 miles.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
With coming of the next solar cycle, even SSB 15 miles may not be possible local comms.

brizzotheizzo

With coming of the next solar cycle, even SSB 15 miles may not be possible local comms.
With side band, you get a 12 watt baseband signal. “Skip” is not required for 15 miles of coverage , and therefore is not dependent upon the solar cycle.
Me and my buddies talk on side band when we go on 4-wheeling trails. We talk over 15 miles ALL the time. No problem. We use side band instead of regular band, for this very reason. The coverage is better , and the range is ALWAYS triple.

Status
Not open for further replies.