• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Radio use in Massachusetts

Robert831

Hello

I am getting frustrated with my new Uniden PRO501TK. I have it in my car, running off the car battery with the antenna on the roof. I am traveling up and down route 24 not getting anyone. I can hear plenty. Even stopping in the 24-rest stop no one answers my radio check. No trucker has their cb on??

Robert831

Thank you prcguy. I only have AM I am debating on getting an AM/FM President CB. I just hope this radio actually works. Granted its a hand held but I have an antenna on top of my car. I am now debating if I should buy a second one to test it.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Thank you prcguy. I only have AM I am debating on getting an AM/FM President CB. I just hope this radio actually works. Granted its a hand held but I have an antenna on top of my car. I am now debating if I should buy a second one to test it.
A President McKinley will get you SSB (no FM domestically) and you should hear more. You will need a decent antenna to enjoy it. An NMO-27 Pulse/Larsen properly installed in a hole and tuned is recommended.

Curious what you are using for batteries. Hopefully not those popular lithium ion AA cells with USB charge port built in. That is like installing a noise jammer inside the radio.

Robert831

I am running it right off the car so no AA batteries. Cigarette lighter adapter that came with the radio. I know skips rolling but I just can't believe no one answering me.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I realize FM is new but in reality, is USB and LSB just better having than FM

FM is very new to US. You are more likely to hear EU/UK skip that is in FM mode. If you are monitoring in FM mode, no wonder you heard nothing.

As far as performance, the sole advantage to narrow FM is a bit better noise elimination. However, radios sold in US don't have CTCSS tone squelch, so you are likely to have annoying squelch noises from AM/SSB in FM mode.

LSB and USB are well entrenched in US and all of NA and SA countries. SSB signal power has all of the energy is in the modulation and the SSB has better sensitivity, as the RX has a narrow filter concentrating on the selected upper or lower sideband.

Robert831

Thank you so much for this information. My uniden HH I am trying now is only AM I am still not getting anyone to answer me.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am running it right off the car so no AA batteries. Cigarette lighter adapter that came with the radio. I know skips rolling but I just can't believe no one answering me.
If you are hearing stuff and they are not answering you, it is due to 1) A lot of stations running excessive power. 2) Your very low power radio and poor antenna (Not really "high gain" they lied. ) cannot overcome the noise of thousands of stations on the channel. An NMO-27 permanently mounted on your vehicle will give you a leg up. I have worked some DX with that arrangement on a big groundplane , an E350 van. In my expereince with CB, unless you have a big amplifier and huge antenna you are only going to hear those far distant stations. Yet at night you may be able to talk 20 miles across town very clearly.

slowmover

SKIP Problems in Noise Abatement.

It’s not easy for me, either. An over $1,000-system. Big trucks are more difficult. But, . . it can be done.

Do truckers still use CB Radios?

I’ve gone into detail about when one is most likely to hear truck drivers on air (as well as where) for situations just like yours. As an on-air local (time & place) others will come to expect to hear from you.

Think of truck drivers as the base requirement: able to speak with them and it’s likeliest you’ll be speaking to all others as well.

Minimum Gear Requirements as addressed above have to go up in ability (price), and needed externals plus the necessity of best installation due to the prevalence of both Skip and the jerks crowding AM-19 and other channels.

New England is something of a special case as it’s isolated from the rest of the US as a trucker experiences it. Difficult to get in or out from the major N-S and E-W routes. Thus much truck service is by locals traveling outbound to regional DC and back (versus the prevalence of national truck firms elsewhere). NE is almost another country, truck-wise.

NE drivers are home every night thus there’s very little on-air truck chatter overnight.

A CB which scans would bring up the likeliest channels on which locals speak to each other and thereby greatly increase your chances of contacts. Their friends and families are also likeliest to be on those channels (largest CB user group).

As also noted, SSB increases success. Pre-dawn and post-dusk are “best” for local and regional these days using any mode.

Mobile CB hasn’t the advantage of an 18’ vertical antenna 30’ in the air. Contacts are fleeting. A really weak signal can get you ignored as second response isn’t possible. (Pay to play).

There’s no substitute for best mobile antenna system + clean DC power and a radio with DSP either integrated or as an external.

Some years back I used to run Philadelphia to central Maine through Massachusetts on IH-90 over to IH-95 and didn’t have much problem in getting other drivers to respond. But it’s different than the rest of the US (as above) as it’s nearly ALL locals only. Very different than The Great Plains.

Your desire to make it so is commendable and will carry things through.

The section on RF BONDING is suggested as integral to the antenna system:

Mobile Install Bible

Last edited:

niceguy71

Hello

I am getting frustrated with my new Uniden PRO501TK. I have it in my car, running off the car battery with the antenna on the roof. I am traveling up and down route 24 not getting anyone. I can hear plenty. Even stopping in the 24-rest stop no one answers my radio check. No trucker has their cb on??
I know it's been a while since you posted, just throwing my two cents in... one I am 14 miles from the Burger kings on 24 you mentioned... I am just getting back into CB and keep buying handheld CBs to play with until I get my base and mobile stations up...I have 25 so far!!!... guess I have an addiction ( damn you E-bay) I have the Randy II... real nice CB! but I do range tests from handheld to handheld a lot.. I put a camera on the handheld at home on a back yard picnic table and then take the dog for a 2 or three mile walk the old Radio shack handhelds with the long antenna's work great.... most of the new ones like the PRO501TK you have are truly junk! the amazon 51 inch antenna's help .. maybe a half mile with the 51 inch antenna ...the rubber duck is good for a 100 feet. no comparison to the old base loaded Radio Shack handhelds.... I know your PRO501TK came with an magnet mount car antenna but they only let you get out a mile or two... pretty terrible antenna's.... now the reason for my 2 cents... for the last few months I keep a Handheld next to my nightstand while sleeping and on the coffee table while watching TV.. switching handheld CB's sometimes the President Randy with a 51 inch antenna sometimes a cobra with a Cobra HH50 with HA-TA telescoping long range antenna...... for the 3 months I've been playing I have heard NOTHING on channel 19 .. I hear skip on 6 and 11 I also hear side band from channel 35 to 40 but nothing on 19 so I think CB is mostly dead in MASS... also Massachusetts topography of little up's and downs don't allow CB's to get out very far.

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
So true is a desert here in Ma for CB I have a Radiodity in car and a Randy President FCC in the house next to all my scanners and the only thing I hear is CH 6 skip and maybe CH11 NO 19 ever even in the car. I have been on CB since the 60s and this is the worst now, But even my 2meter rigs are quiet now all so. And 440 Forget It.

niceguy71

Steve did you do the mod on the radio city?? I watched the easy mod on the Radio city 27 and see the power go to hmmm was it 10watts I forget. But that little cb with the mod looks like it really kicks butt....

slowmover

Until you get a decent antenna systems, your experience will remain the same.

On a mobile: Minimum 5’ tall & closest to 14’ total height.

I gave my son a complete system for his car and it included a TOP competitive antenna, a SIRIO 5000 Performer. The extra-long thin whip can take many interference strikes.

Best is a permanent roof mount. A mag mount gives up performance but is an adequate placeholder until then.

The Randy in my testing (other threads) is easily almost as good as a Uniden 880. Both are now obsolete in performance.

It’d be best to step up to an AT5555-N2

IMG_3433.jpeg

IMG_3010.jpeg

A PRESIDENT Harrison has the required NRC, and at this time may include the new Digi-Mic free. Small size, but without SSB, etc.

IMG_3085.jpeg

slowmover

Until you get a decent antenna systems, your experience will remain the same.

On a mobile: Minimum 5’ tall & closest to 14’ total height.

I gave my son a complete system for his car and it included a TOP competitive antenna, a SIRIO 5000 Performer. The extra-long thin whip can take many interference strikes.

Best is a permanent roof mount. A mag mount gives up performance but is an adequate placeholder until then.

The Randy in my testing (other threads) is easily almost as good as a Uniden 880. Both are now obsolete in performance.

It’d be best to step up to an AT5555-N2

View attachment 144324

View attachment 144325

A PRESIDENT Harrison has the required NRC, and at this time may include the new Digi-Mic free. Small size, but without SSB, etc.

View attachment 144326

I’ve gone into depth in the, “Do truckers still use CB”, thread as to who, when, where. I’ve been thru MA, and have truck driver friends in New England. No, it’s not as busy as some other regions.

It’ll be up to you to get on-air and see who else is sitting around waiting for someone else to speak up.

niceguy71

I’ve gone into depth in the, “Do truckers still use CB”, thread as to who, when, where. I’ve been thru MA, and have truck driver friends in New England. No, it’s not as busy as some other regions.

It’ll be up to you to get on-air and see who else is sitting around waiting for someone else to speak up.

I was a shipper at a large factory in Mass from 1985 to 1998 most of the stuff that came in and out of the factory was on rail road cars. we also had two local trucking companies they would go to NY and Vermont and pick up and drop off... seem the rest of the country would truck it to NY or Vermont and just stop.. then we had to send the locals to pick it up.... funny state