CB/scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clint649

Is there such thing as a scanner/cb as in cb or scanner built in together as one?? I dont want to add more holes than necessary in my new jeep.....Thank you in advance....Clint

methusaleh

If your goal is to be able to monitor CB while also listening to other services, most modern scanners include the CB frequency range in their coverage.

If you want something that will TX on CB freqs while monitoring others, the closest thing you will find legally is a CB that will also receive WX freqs.

jsjazz

I remember back in the 70's Allied / Radio Shack used to make a CB with a "public service" tuner. You could get it in a high band or low band model. CB back then was 23 channels only. I'm sure it's not what you're looking for, but just thought I would mention it!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Many years ago,(the 70's) there was a company called "Handic" they came out with some bright orange cb's that if I remember correctly were swedish made.
At any rate, these were both handhelds and mobile units and one of the mobiles had a tuner of some sort in it. It was either a vhf or fm tuner (88-108mhz.)
They were kind of odd,but cool, like me of course! :D

n9zas

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I wish there was such a creature! My Cobra 29 lx is a great cb radio with modern features and the ability to scan the cb channels and the weather channels, but no dice on the VHF HI / UHF stuff you are probably thinking of. That's why I carry my PSR-800 with me.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

What type Jeep? Assuming you have a JK, I believe a full product line is available, now. You could install a center console from which has a DIN mount, and install the scanner in there. Then you just have to worry about where to mount the CB and external scanner speaker.

They also make an overhead rack, which installed between the factory roll bar and the windshield, and fits the CJ, YJ and TJ, and is available with upto two DIN mounts. These mounts include a grille opening, for the built-in speaker. I don't know if it is available for the JK.

Check these vendors:
www.quadratec.com
www.4wd.com

cacherjoe

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You could go with a smaller scanner. Something handheld or maybe the HP1. Might save you from the excessive holes as they would allow for a windshield mount.

CheezeHedInWisconsin

Premium Subscriber
the Uniden BCT15/396/996 scanners have a CB search feature, and the Midland 75-822 handheld CB has a channel scan feature (which was why I bought it).

There's one problem, however, and that is some of the CB users operate illegal rigs with tons of power on channel 6. It effectively negates the CB scan/search features because every time the receiver cycles through the channels it stops on channel 6 when the "cowboys" are transmitting, which is practically around the clock...especially if you upgrade your antenna to one tuned to the CB frequencies. Worse yet, these guys talk gibberish, there is no factual information on channel 6 that is of any use to anyone on the road (or even people listening at home for that matter).

The Uniden models can lock out channel 6, but as far as I can tell the Midland CB cannot when it is in scan mode. If the Midland unit could lock out channel 6, or if there was such a thing as an after-market channel 6 attenuator, I would be super-happy with the radio and recommend to everyone, especially if they were interested in the channel scanning feature. Without such things, I cannot in good conscience recommend it if CB channel scanning is what they want. Sure, it has the ability to do so, but as long as the cowboys on channel 6 are doing what they are doing, the scanning feature of the Midland 75-822 is worthless. As previously stated, Uniden's receivers can lock the channel out, but you have no way of transmitting like you do with the Midland unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.