cb scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemill12

i programed the 40 cb freq in my scanner to tune in to the truckers. but cant seem to get anything in any ideas

dangitdoug

Lots of ideas, but not enough info from you.
Are you close to a freeway where cb's would be prevalent?
Handheld, base or mobile scanner?
Antenna set-up?

Doug K

mikemill12

mobile pro 97 using the attenea that came with it thats why i was wondering if there was a different attenea that would help. yes im right off a major truck route and catn seem to pick anything up on it.

drew6553

do you have the cb frequencies set to am? If you have it set to fm its not going to pick up as well in my experiance

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
mikemill12 said:
mobile pro 97 using the attenea that came with it thats why i was wondering if there was a different attenea that would help. yes im right off a major truck route and catn seem to pick anything up on it.

If you want better reception in the CB band, use a CB antenna. Logical, no?

k9rzz

Yeah, make sure you're in AM mode. I'm 3/4 of a mile from the freeway that runs between Chicago and Minneapolis and there is a lot of trucker traffic on the CB. With an outdoor wire, or ham antenna, I can hear them 10 miles away, with my VHF scanner antenna, I can only hear the very closest guys.

You might try an 8 ft wire strung vertically out the back of the scanner. That may help.

John K9RZZ

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ditto. Bigger (longer) antenna. Must be on AM and you're wasting time scanning all 40. Channel 19 is all you need.

CLB

It'd be better to buy a CB. There's usually someone selling them at a flea market pretty cheap.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
CLB said:
It'd be better to buy a CB. There's usually someone selling them at a flea market pretty cheap.
This may be true, but a CB antenna or one in the 27 MHz range is still needed. Of course, one on the roof is much better. Also, make sure that the connector at the end of the antenna lead will fit your scanner (or CB if you buy one). If not, an adapter will do.

mikemill12

cb

i am within range of the truckers it is set up for am. but still nothing. ive been looking for a antenna for cbs but only thing ive been able to find is a high performance vhf antenna.
any ideas where to get a good cb attena for a handheld scanner..

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Pro 97 has CB in it's search bands

Press the SEARCH button twice and it's all set to scan CB bands.......

FUNC / SEARCH makes it search....mine always defaults to MAN.......

I usually have to be right up on a truck - or within a few huundres yards before the crappy stock antenna picks up anything.

My 2055 with a MNO mount Hustler in my van works alot better......will do what you want 1/2 to 3/4 mile or so or more.

Nothing to listen to around West Memphis, AR but hookers & the chrome shop.......

Lotta trucks on the ride home....just too spread out with no one to talk to.

trace1

bubbaearle said:
Nothing to listen to around West Memphis, AR but hookers...

Think I've seen a few of "them" walking down the side of the street on our way through there from Alabama to Jonesboro.

gcgrotz

mikemill12 said:
i am within range of the truckers it is set up for am. but still nothing. ive been looking for a antenna for cbs but only thing ive been able to find is a high performance vhf antenna.
any ideas where to get a good cb attena for a handheld scanner..

Thats an oxymoron. No such thing as a good cb antenna for a scanner. They have to be shortened so much they become very inefficient. Ask any firefighter that worked with low band radios. The handheld was lucky to be able to talk out of a building back to the truck.

At a minimum, go to RS and get a magmount CB antenna, put it on a metal file cabinet at home or on your car roof. Should pick up for a few miles anyway. Search on line for CB antennas for a good base antenna if you're really serious.

Good luck, but IMHO there is a lot more interesting stuff to listen to than truckers!

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Make life easy on yourself...

Go buy a new, cheap CB and a decent mag mount antenna. Do as other said and mount the antenna on a metal file cabinet or use it on your car.

A scanner is poor choice for listening to CB traffic anyways. The receiver is not tuned for "optimum" performance there, and no scanner antenna will work very well.

memphisbill

Speaking as a trucker, there has to be something more interesting than listening to CB, even static.

Status
Not open for further replies.