CB skip 1/3/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Back when we had licenses and callsigns mine was KMA1004. Now put that in phonetics.

(sarcasm off)

I hate to bust your bubble but every trash talking power mic, linearized potty mouth in the NYC area says they're in Brooklyn and in northern NJ they're all in Newark. No challenge there, with all that fuzz audio, amplified RF power and big beams it's like listening to broadcast stations with crappy audio and the guy behind the microphone all wigged out on drugs.

freqs

That is not a long skip ive herd Texas from Michigan but most call sign's are just #'s they make up .Most #'s or call sign's are used on upper and lower sidebands or the freeband not on AM CB.
Most CB guy's run power 1000 watts and more ive seen 10.000 watts amps its nuts .I have been off
CB for a few years .the only time I use it now is for trips .Detroit like most big cities are CB trashcan's .

kb2vxa

Banned
"...not really busting my bubble, picking up New Jersey is still a significant skip."

You missed the point, sporadic E or "short skip" is hardly significant especially when they're using broadcast power and big beams. Give it time, when the sunspots come back you'll be hearing stations thousands of miles away IF you can hear ANYTHING through the jumble of noise. Way back before the madness my very first skip was a guy in Colombia, yup, South America on 5W AM and a ground plane. Now THAT'S a challenge, something you don't hear every day, but with the power they're shoving up the pipe now it's a snap.

Oh and BTW, what I said about Brooklyn and Newark comes from experience since I used to live in the area. Besides "skip shooters" saying they're somewhere they're not those cities are absolutely NUTS. I say that in a kind way since I had many friends who actually did live there and it was a laugh factory late at night when the kiddies went to bed.

Now here's an idea, if you don't have a ham ticket already... get one. Since talking over 150 miles is illegal on CB and it's going to get nasty in the next few years a General Class license will do you justice. When we start getting significant sunspots propagation will improve to the point where you can literally work the world legally and you don't need a lot of power to do it, 100W or less and a modest antenna, even 5W will suffice under good conditions.

"...most call sign's are just #'s they make up .Most #'s or call sign's are used on upper and lower sidebands or the freeband not on AM CB."

Actually they're ALL made up since the FCC dropped the license requirement years ago. That one I mentioned previously was a goof on people, Kiss My A 10-4, my real one was KMD7606.

gewecke

Banned
From Charlottesville, VA I was picking up CB radio frequencies with call signs from Brooklyn, NY, Newark, NJ, and Indiana.

Anyone else?

I was using a stock antenna on my bcd996t.

I once knew a guy named skip,and he had a cb too!:lol::roll:
But call signs? This was either back in the day or a case of dimentia,right?:p
n9zas

auxscan

I bought a cb thinking it would be fun. turns out its trash talking drug addicts hogging the air. i regret ever buying it. i still use them on road trips like someone stated. i turn the squelch all the way up and use channel 38. never had a problem or interference on that ch.

Im trying to get my ham ticket but during the wait, i'll stick to FRS & MURS.

CB radio needs policing! where the heck is the fcc. every little goon stepping over each other, cursing. to all the parents out there. keep your kids on frs. it much more safer. except for NYC GMRS ch 20. but besides that, its very well respected.

they won't own up.

I have heard couple of potty mouth hams my self on the air. One apparently got drunk and used the “f” word and received a warning letter with a copy of the recording. This ham still denies the incident and considers himself to be a victim.

You can put the truth into their face and they still will not admit it..

He apparently was a president of a Ham Radio Club. What a great example.

Delta

The Citizens Band can still be fun sometimes, usually early morning when the drunks are asleep. But, like someone said about the difference in area makes a huge difference. So true! Also, I'm a ham and not all hams are crappy people. (But you can find crappy people like described almost anywhere) However, The "Good ol' Boy" system is in full effect here in the local ham community. Once I experienced what the people and the clubs where really like, it was a real turn off.

Status
Not open for further replies.