CB traffic in Rutherford County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpsTN

I am thinking of getting an compact inexpensive CB radio to listen to traffic or other people in the area. To this end, I am wondering if there is still a decent number of people who communicate with CB radios in the NW Rutherford and SE Davidson counties area of Tennessee (Antioch, La Vergne, Smyrna). Also, is there still a lot of CB traffic on I-24 in the Nashville - to - Murfreesboro area of Tennessee? Thank You.

APTN

CB Traffic

You may hear truckers if you are close to Lavergne. (There is a Pilot Truckstop there.)

cpsTN

You may hear truckers if you are close to Lavergne. (There is a Pilot Truckstop there.)

I am rather familier with that place. I worked less than a mile from it for 9 years. Also, there is the larger TS (TA Travel Center) two miles up just inside Antioch. I was getting mixed sentiments on the uses of CBs these days from the CB forum. I am simply curious if there are a lot of people still out there using CBs for general BSing to friends the way they did in the '80s and early '90s, and also if truckers still use them, in THIS area, to a large degree with all the other comm tech we have today.

Last edited:

TypeZero

I dusted off my portable Cobra about a year and a half ago, and couldn't pick up anything. That day, it just so happened that I had to go to Clarksville. Aside from two farmers talking to each other from opposite sides of the interstate somewhere between Nashville and Clarksville, I didn't hear any CB traffic at all (Not even when I was passing by truck stops). Your mileage may vary.

SCPD

QRT
Quiet

I dusted off my portable Cobra about a year and a half ago, and couldn't pick up anything. That day, it just so happened that I had to go to Clarksville. Aside from two farmers talking to each other from opposite sides of the interstate somewhere between Nashville and Clarksville, I didn't hear any CB traffic at all (Not even when I was passing by truck stops). Your mileage may vary.

Same here. For a few months, after I first got my Pro-96, I would keep it on the seat with a CB antenna on it, on scan, and never heard anything but the occasional trucker. Seems like there's more activity on FRS radios than CB anymore, when I'm going state to state anyway.

dukeblue021

I am a Ham radio operator (and scanner enthusiast of course) in Knoxville, and I've noticed quite a few truckers that come through town are Ham operators as well.

I had always just assumed they were all burning up the CB airwaves, but surprisingly (to me at least), many of them are Hams.

Status
Not open for further replies.