CBers Raiding BC Links Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

Yeah, freebanders have been down to the 26000 and 25750 range for years. Lots of Export radios sold in the lat 80's and early 90's would do 26000 to 30000. You can still find them in fact, but I think the 90's were the peak of that kind of sales.

T!

reedeb

YUP back thru the 90's you had to have a REAL radio that would do it. If you had just a regular CB [40 channel NO linear AKA kicker ] you were put down as a "Mud Duck" and considered a lowly person not a REAL CBer. { I took great pride to remain a mud duck] I think the best time I had was talking to a young lady and findin out she was in Austrailia and I had a guy n my home town running almost 2500 watts, a BIG radio, and a huge beam antenna sitting up as high as he could get it and always wanted to hit down under and found out I had done it on a cheap Radio Shack 40 chan mobile 4 watts on a 102 inch steel whip antenna. He didn't believe till i showed him the letter she sent me confirming the chat[neither one of us had QSL cards] Made me smile everytime he mentioned it oin the air [in disgust]

W2PMX

I think the best time I had was talking to a young lady and findin out she was in Austrailia and I had a guy n my home town running almost 2500 watts, a BIG radio, and a huge beam antenna sitting up as high as he could get it and always wanted to hit down under and found out I had done it on a cheap Radio Shack 40 chan mobile 4 watts on a 102 inch steel whip antenna.
He was probably using a flat map to aim his antenna, and had Oz in a deep null. I used to love listening to 11 meters and hearing the nonsense the "experts" spouted. If intelligence could buy clues, those guys would have been less than clueless. (Like the old "don't coil your spare coax, because the electrons can jump from turn to turn and get lost". That was a serious bit of advice I heard some "old timer" [probably about 18 years old] give to a newcomer.)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The old 25MHz 25W FM MARTI remote pickups haven't been used for decades so it's no longer a "BC Links Band". It's been a SWBC band for longer than I can remember and a haven for "freebanders" ever since CBers discovered how to tweak a primitive PLL controlled rig. They probably would have invaded the bottom end of 11M long before then if they could figure out that buying a few crystals and using a "golden screwdriver" on a single conversion tube rig was SO much simpler. (;->)

"If intelligence could buy clues, those guys would have been less than clueless."
I know where you're coming from and how the clueless fell victim to my friends and I pulling silly pranks. Funny enough when they realize they've been had but funnier still when a recording of the prank comes back years later to haunt them. (Long story of the local CB god sacrificed on his own altar.)

That using a flat map (Mercator projection) to aim a beam reminds me of the time I educated a fellow ham on the most astounding maritime discovery of all time, the Earth is round. He was calling his brains out to reach a weak station in the UK with the beam pointed due east, from NJ straight at the Mediterranean. When he wasn't looking I turned it northeast and the station came in 5 and 9, next call and he got him. After the excitement died down I showed him the beam heading, you can guess the rest. Hint: he's an Extra and I'm a lowly Tech. (;->)

It only goes to show you that CBers aren't the only ones who make stupid mistakes and just because you hold the highest class Amateur license doesn't mean you know everything.

ridgescan

My error.
However, the point is that there are still "BC link" users at 25 MHz.
Yup KOA's studio link is 25950, and two different stations in Texas come in strong here in SF. 25910 is WBAP's link out of Ft Worth and KSCS's link is on 25990 out of Arlington They float in here mainly during my daytime and late evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.