CC-Dump on 500 & battery usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
A quick question here guys:

Does leaving CC-DUMP on all the time accelerate battery drain on the PSR-500?

mikey60

A quick question here guys:

Does leaving CC-DUMP on all the time accelerate battery drain on the PSR-500?

I don't think so, but I suppose you never know. There was an update to a firmware version (I don't remember which one) that added a command to the PC/IF port where software that uses the CC_DUMP data (like my Pro96Com) can turn that on remotely. I don't know if Unitrunker has implemented that command or not.

If you're using Pro96Com, you can just leave that setting off, and the program will turn it on when it needs it.

Mike

DonS

Looking at the schematic, it's conceivable that running "CCDump" will cause some additional current drain. However, if you don't have anything plugged into the PC/IF jack, it's on the order of microamps.

SCPD

QRT
Prior to the firmware updates that allow software to change the CC dump (other than re-loading the radio's memory) I normally ran the radio with this feature on - even when using the radio as-is. Unless there was lots of audio or I needed to use the backlight frequently ... I got decent battery life.

mikey60

Out of curiosity What is the CC Dump anyways? I'm not sure if mine's on or off, I'll have to look but curious what it is ?

It's a feature of the PSR-500/600 that will feed the received control channel data out the PC/IF port of the radio. Decoding software like Pro96Com and Unitrunker can then use this data to display the system information on the computer screen.

Mike

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
It's supposed to send out information about the communications between the DSP and the CPU. I don't know of anything available that would decode that information to anything usable, so it would be best to leave that option off.
When I found the bug with P25 and 3xx NAC's I used this dump to send to them.

So it's basically for debugging and makes it easier for the support team.

Status
Not open for further replies.