CCDecode: New Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Ever since my forum post (http://forums.radioreference.com/project-25-technologies/228247-p25-control-messages.html) - I have been asked questions about what I learned. I have decided to start a new library for people who don't care about decoding the actual control channel messages but instead want to use the data within them for a project. I can't say I know much about control channels but I am willing to give to the community what I do have.

I will state now that I don't plan to give out the source code at this moment as I don't know what the legal implications of that are. I want to make this open source but don't want to get caught up in copyright infringement. Because I don't have access to many types of systems out there, my project will currently be limited to P25 (TIA/EIA-102.AABC)

This project will be called CCDecode and I will update this thread as I progress.

slicerwizard

a) You're worried about an open protocol (P25 control messages)? AABC warns of two patents - 4905302 - trunked radio repeater system (are you building one?) and 5502767 - method for maintaining secure information synchronization on a control channel (are you doing that?)

I suspect the answer to both is no.

b) Are you saying that to protect yourself from nonexistent copyright issues, instead of releasing source code (which, apparently, is protected free speech in the US), you'll be releasing a binary (library) that embodies the thing(s) that you fear may be protected/litigious? I assume that's what you mean, as you didn't indicate that you were working on some sort of printed library (AKA a wiki)

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm far from a competent programmer - the last time I did any programming was with Turbo Pascal in high school, 20+ years ago... would you consider another "example" version that reads from text files of hex dumps?

rock18

Hey ActiveHat,

Just wondering on the status of your project. Came across it and found it interesting.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.