CCIC was down again

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
LAKEWOOD – The Colorado Bureau of Investigation's electronic information warehouse is prone to malfunctions, making it harder for police officers to do their jobs safely.

Most recently, the system was inoperable from 2 p.m. Tuesday until 4:30 p.m. Wednesday. During that time, police officers statewide were unable to access the system, known as the Colorado Crime Information Center (CCIC), when approaching potentially dangerous individuals.

The CCIC includes information on outstanding warrants, criminal histories, gang affiliations, stolen property, and even missing children.

'We have problems frequently," said CBI spokesman Lance Klem. "Usually, they don't last this long."

Several law enforcement officers say it's not unusual for the CCIC database to be unavailable several times a week. Klem did not dispute that characterization of the trouble-plagued computer database.

"It really has been outdated for a long time," he said.

Klem admits when the system crashes, it can pose a threat to officers' safety.

The CBI Web site says the CCIC allows local law enforcement, district attorneys, the Colorado State Patrol, jails and sheriffs to communicate effectively. Without the system, the Website says, "they would be handicapped in their effort to identify repeat offenders, fugitives, habitual traffic law violators, missing children and stolen property."

"[The system] is about as important as it gets," Klem said.

When CCIC is down, officers in the field and dispatchers must make multiple calls to different jurisdictions to track down warrants and drivers license information on a suspect, a more time-consuming and less-reliable process than using the computerized database.

Numerous law enforcement agencies declined to discuss how they deal with CCIS problems, several citing officer safety concerns.

9NEWS asked Klem if wanted fugitives had escaped capture because of gaps in the database's operation.

"I don't think there has been any situation of critical consequence," he said.

Asked if the CBI would know of such a near-capture if it had happened, Klem said, "Sure we would. We would hear about it."

Klem acknowledged there is no good substitute for a working database.

"There's no practical way to get around this problem," he said. "This is something that has to be fixed permanently and that's what we're working to do."

Klem says the Colorado Legislature appropriated several million dollars last year to remedy the problem with CCIS, but that fix will take three years to complete.

Until then, Klem says, computer technicians are on-call day and night to repair the database.

He said that during the Democratic National Convention in August, when security concerns will be high, the CBI will have technicians stationed right next to the computer database around the clock.

janandgwen

This is an ongoing problem as you know. It is hard to know whether this has actually resulted in officer(s) being in danger during traffic stops or on other occasions, but it certainly could. It would seem that with all the computer knowledge in the state there would be someone who could fix CCIC!. I hope the state is not depending on the IT people who worked on the welfare system that was "upgraded" but took months for to actually work.

Jan

jleverin

I know yesterday morning about 10 am the dispatcher kept informing the local police that the system was down whenever they'd call in a license plate to check. Guess they still haven't got it back up and running yet.

ch40n1k

jleverin said:
I know yesterday morning about 10 am the dispatcher kept informing the local police that the system was down whenever they'd call in a license plate to check. Guess they still haven't got it back up and running yet.

In Lakewood, this seems to be a daily occurrence. Seriously. Either that or the dispatcher is regularly telling units that they are "on the list" when they call for clearances.

rfburns

Sheriff Roger Coursey

jimmnn said:
9NEWS asked Klem if wanted fugitives had escaped capture because of gaps in the database's operation.
"I don't think there has been any situation of critical consequence," he said.
Evidently Mr. Klem and 9NEWS both have a short memory. Three people including the Sheriff died in Hinsdale County on November 18, 1994. At the time, LEO's said the suspect had been contacted on I-76 (in Morgan Co I believe) a day or two earlier and was released because CCIC was either down or extremely slow (I forget which it was). Do enough searching on the Denver Post site and it should all be there.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
CCIC is always down!! I have heard dispatch in Loveland say it was down many, many times for the better part of ten years!!! I have heard now that some officers can still get access on their laptops when it "reportedly" is down though. Who knows if sometimes its local, I.E. at the console or CCIC themselves...

Last edited:

Troop

Several Agencies have different ways to tap into CCIC and most commonly it's the tap that fails through their CAD system and like with us, the dispatch system that accesses CCIC is different from what we have in our cars.....so it's possible for us to be up and running when dispatch is down

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
That makes very much sense. I believe the MDTs are using an EVDO type connection with cell sites. So this would be a separate IP address or connection to the server. I base this on the fact I haven't heard a complete data talk group on a tower. Otherwise, I guess data could be sent on the same tower as voice.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Denver PD announcing everything will be down till at least Midnight for maint.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.