BCD436HP/BCD536HP: CCO programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikea19

Premium Subscriber
Hi all. I have had a 436hp for a few months ,so I am basically new at this . Can anyone tell me how exactly I would input a control channel only so I can try to scan a local PD??? I am trying to scan Somerset County , Nj and the dept I want is Bridgewater , nj .. Thanks !!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The Somerset County system is already in the scanner's database, so there should be no need for additional programming. In Sentinel, you can copy the specific channels you want to monitor into a Favorites List to easily monitor just the specific agency channel(s) you are interested in.

Here is a video how-to for making your own favorites list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECOUceSdVCo

Mikea19

Premium Subscriber
UPMan , Thanks for the quick answer but for some reason I can never hear much of anything. This is what it says in the RR DB, Bridgewater & Hillsborough operate on the 700 site in Phase-II mode. Their primary dispatch talkgroups can often be heard on the UHF site in Phase-I mode as a simulcast. Can you explain to a dummie what the heck that means to me ?? Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
UPMan , Thanks for the quick answer but for some reason I can never hear much of anything. This is what it says in the RR DB, Bridgewater & Hillsborough operate on the 700 site in Phase-II mode. Their primary dispatch talkgroups can often be heard on the UHF site in Phase-I mode as a simulcast. Can you explain to a dummie what the heck that means to me ?? Thanks
Looking at the trunked system in the database, https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7206

This system has two sites. One is based on 700MHz frequencies, and transmits in P25 Phase II mode. Bridgewater & Hillsborough use talkgroups 3711 and 743 respectively.

What the note is pointing out is that those Phase II transmissions on the 700MHz site are also simulcast (the same transmissions, repeated at the same time) in P25 Phase I mode on the second (Uhf) site. Your 436HP, or another P25 Phase II capable scanner can follow them on the 700MHz site, via the listed talkgroups. But a digital trunking scanner, only capable of receiving Phase I signals, would be able to monitor using the Uhf site instead of the 700MHz site.

Mikea19

Premium Subscriber
Hiegtx , Thank you for the help...Some times the simple stuff you can not find any where. I have a BCD 436 HP and should get it . The town has like 4 transmitters and two of them are within less than 10 miles from my house , with 1 being about 1 mile away..When I do hear anything its somewhat garbled but I read some things on how to try and fix that ! But I figured I would mess with that when I can actually hear all the transmissions... Thanks again for the help

Mikea19

Premium Subscriber
Just thought of another question from your answer, sorry , . So having a scanner that can receive both ,would it be better to listen to them on phase II or on the Phase I UHF site ? Would one come in clearer than the other ? Thanks , Mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just thought of another question from your answer, sorry , . So having a scanner that can receive both ,would it be better to listen to them on phase II or on the Phase I UHF site ? Would one come in clearer than the other ? Thanks , Mike
Which one is "clearer" would be hard to determine, except for programming both so that you could compare side by side.

Looking at the way that system is set up, I suspect that you'd hear more of the activity on the 700 MHz site. Obviously, I'm not in range of the system, so that's subject to verification by some local to it. IF your main interest was only the two agencies you mentioned (that are simulcast on the Uhf), and if the simulcast is on all the time, then by only listening only to the Uhf site, you would not be distracted by the other agencies on the system. However, if I were setting that system up, I'd likely use the 700 site, since that's where it appears that all the activity is taking place, with only a portion of it also being simulcasted on the Uhf site.

troymail

Silent Key
To add to Steve's comments...

I don't know the system you're monitoring either. However, at least for some UHF systems in my area, the UHF signals tend to extend further and seem to suffer less from simulcast distortion.

No, that is a different answer (question) than - will the same traffic be carried on multiple sites (be it neighboring sites of a given system or simulcast across UHF and 700 frequencies).

Both probably require a bit of experimentation since even others around you monitoring the system could potentially be seeing different results (I know this doesn't sound like it makes any sense but it can happen). We aren't all in the same place monitoring the same exact things with the same exact signal radiation patterns using the same exact radios....

Status
Not open for further replies.