CDF BDU 1 dispatch low audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectr17

When CDF BDU 1 dispatches a call the audio is so low you can barely hear them. Mobiles are loud and clear. Any reason for this? It's just not a certain dispatcher either, it's all of them, male and female.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Any reason for this?

There's a lot of places the audio levels get set, and any one of them can cause low dispatch audio. It can be at the console's BIM card, a microwave channel, a voter, or a control station.

That being said, I just listened to a dispatch on BDU 1 and heard very little difference in level between the dispatcher and the response.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
also some dispatchers have the habit of placing the mic not even close to their mouth. I saw it a lot at LA County Fire dispatch. Most were loud and clear and some were "mud ducks"

Starman918

I have noticed the same thing listening here in Highland. Definitely low level audio. Last week, i noticed that they appeared to have trainee dispatchers working.

spectr17

This has been different dispatchers and going on for months. I haven't heard a dispatch with normal audio in a long time. It doesn't appear to be a timid Timmy/Tina behind the mic.

SCPD

QRT
I program "audio boost" into each of my narrow band channels. BDU 3 is used in the Owens Valley Division and the audio is very low in spite of the audio boost. Go figure, the CHP P25 extender frequencies come in so loud that I had to disable the audio boost from each of those channels. At 6.25 kHz spacing the audio is so strong it overpowers everything in the house. The BDU ECC patches all nets together in the morning for daily broadcasts such as staffing and weather, but then dispatchers forget they have it on so we have to put our ears down near the speakers to hear a bunch of medical aids down in the urban areas of the unit. I wish my scanners, primarily PSR-500/600s, had several levels of audio boost so we could equalize the volume of all the BDU transmissions with the rest of the channels we scan.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Maybe receive set for wide band and they are now transmitting on narrow???

Unlikely. If that was the issue all the traffic would sound low. I'd agree with the others, somewhere in their audio chain from their ECC to the repeater they've got a level issue. Many places that it could be. Likely the guys in the field are just accustomed to it and have cranked up their volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.