• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM 1550 LS + error

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
Im trying to add some channels to my radio. When I click "read radio". I get the message "cannot create unknown radio component" on my laptop. Can anyone tell me why?

Im using Windows 7 and Vista. (laptop)
Worked on computer using Windows XP. (desktop)
CPS - R06.11.07

NCFire11

Depending on which version of Windows 7 you have, you should be able to run the program in "XP mode." That should work for any program. Its certainly worth a try.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Depending on which version of Windows 7 you have, you should be able to run the program in "XP mode." That should work for any program. Its certainly worth a try.

It is well documented that this won't work on a 64 bit Win7 machine. A lot of folks have spent a lot of time trying to do this, and they all report ZERO success.

A lot of folks have also reported problems with USB to serial adapters on the newer computers. Some have found combinations that work and some have not. Again, using a PC with a real serial port eliminates the potential for problems.

I installed the Pro CPS on an older XP computer that has a serial port, and things just plain work the way they should.

NCFire11

You say you have 7 and Vista? Which one are you exactly using, or do you have dual boot? And yes do you have 64 or 32 bit OS?

I have been able to read and write to a radio using a 64 bit Win7 desktop in XP mode. I guess i am the 1%.

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
You say you have 7 and Vista? Which one are you exactly using, or do you have dual boot? And yes do you have 64 or 32 bit OS?

I have been able to read and write to a radio using a 64 bit Win7 desktop in XP mode. I guess i am the 1%.

I believe it is the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit version that does not have a true Virtual XP mode available. The Professional version of Win 7 does. Unfortunately, the Home Premium is what most folks buy.

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input guys. Guess I'll continue to use my desktop computer that runs XP. My radio is mounted in a console and is hard wired. I was trying to get away with having to take it out of my truck but oh well.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input guys. Guess I'll continue to use my desktop computer that runs XP. My radio is mounted in a console and is hard wired. I was trying to get away with having to take it out of my truck but oh well.

I have exactly the same setup. I bought a 25' serial cable that reaches from my home office to the driveway. Since I have the serial version of the ribless cable and a regular rib (serial also), it has been no problem to pull the truck in the driveway, run the cable out there, plug it in, go back into the office and write to the radio.

I've also used a 9' plus the 25' with no issues so I expect that even a 50' serial cable would work just fine.

maxkelley

Download VirtualBox Oracle from here: VirtualBox Downloads and install it. Then, create a new virtual machine and install Windows XP (you'll need a disc, or a disc image). You can then route one of your physical com ports or your USB-serial adapter to the com port on the virtual machine, and it should correct your error. It worked for me on a Windows 7 64-bit machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.