• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM Alarm system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio_Shop

Hello gents.

I have a question for you I set up station alarm packages in multiple fire and ambulance stations using either a cdm 1550 or 1250. I do this by obviously programming the a/b tone format in the quick call II part of the cps. I then use pin 4 on the back of the radio to trigger a relay, this relay is powered off the same inverter the radio is being powered from.

Now here is the problem, sometimes pin 4 triggers the relay like its suppose to and other times pin 4 does nothing when the radio gets tones. Ive tested it by simply holding my power probe to the bare pin itself.

Now I am aware of the tab under the cps titled accsessory pins. and i have the drop down box selected to external alarm for pin #4.

Now here is my theory and it may or may not have anything to do with the problem. sometimes i ground the relay usiung the ground off the inverter, and other times I have used pin 7 on the radio plug. Do you guys thing that the relay needs to get its ground from the radio in order to have pin 4 trigger?

your thoughts?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hello gents.

I have a question for you I set up station alarm packages in multiple fire and ambulance stations using either a cdm 1550 or 1250. I do this by obviously programming the a/b tone format in the quick call II part of the cps. I then use pin 4 on the back of the radio to trigger a relay, this relay is powered off the same inverter the radio is being powered from.

Now here is the problem, sometimes pin 4 triggers the relay like its suppose to and other times pin 4 does nothing when the radio gets tones. Ive tested it by simply holding my power probe to the bare pin itself.

Now I am aware of the tab under the cps titled accsessory pins. and i have the drop down box selected to external alarm for pin #4.

Now here is my theory and it may or may not have anything to do with the problem. sometimes i ground the relay usiung the ground off the inverter, and other times I have used pin 7 on the radio plug. Do you guys thing that the relay needs to get its ground from the radio in order to have pin 4 trigger?

your thoughts?
Your suspicion is correct, I think. We have a similar setup on our CDM1250 base radio. We use the QC-II to set the alarm pin. That triggers a relay which activates a Zetron store and forward recorder. When it's finished recording, the Zetron then triggers our home receiver tones and replays the voice message via a PTT relay.

Looking at the schematics, all ground is referenced to the radio's ground.

Radio_Shop

Intersting setup you have there. My system is just used to set off multiple led lights in each crew members room then the speaker is driven off the normal 1-16 pins. Next one I build I will make sure the ground comes off pin 7 instead of the inverter and let you know how it works.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Intersting setup you have there.
It's actually a back up system. Our dispatch is normally via a repeater located here in town that the county 911 can reach easily. (We have geographic challenges here at the north end of our area.) If the repeater fails, dispatch can switch to simplex off a tower far to the south. It won't hit our pagers, but it hits our base station radio just fine. A different set of tones is used for the back up alert. That triggers the Zetron. In turn, the Zetron sends out our normal pager tones plus the recorded voice message. Our radio shop put this together for us many years ago when the base radio was a GM300. We bought the CDM1250 a couple of years ago in preparation for narrowband. The shop had to come back and make a minor change to the circuitry between the Zetron and the radio. But it works just fine.

pete7919

It's actually a back up system. Our dispatch is normally via a repeater located here in town that the county 911 can reach easily. (We have geographic challenges here at the north end of our area.) If the repeater fails, dispatch can switch to simplex off a tower far to the south. It won't hit our pagers, but it hits our base station radio just fine. A different set of tones is used for the back up alert. That triggers the Zetron. In turn, the Zetron sends out our normal pager tones plus the recorded voice message. Our radio shop put this together for us many years ago when the base radio was a GM300. We bought the CDM1250 a couple of years ago in preparation for narrowband. The shop had to come back and make a minor change to the circuitry between the Zetron and the radio. But it works just fine.

That's a cool setup. I tried to do some research and it looks like the Zetron 19 is discontinued. Is that what you use or is there a newer model?

Midian has a PR-10 which looks to be similar. Anyone have experience with that one?

Thanks.

pete7919

That's a cool setup. I tried to do some research and it looks like the Zetron 19 is discontinued. Is that what you use or is there a newer model?

Midian has a PR-10 which looks to be similar. Anyone have experience with that one?

Thanks.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
The GM300 and the encoder/Zetron 19 system were purchased in 1993. Still going strong today.

Best bet is to try to find a gently used one. The one we have seems bulletproof.

Radio_Shop

Very clever good thinking on their part always have to have a plan b .......and sometimes c d e f

Status
Not open for further replies.