• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM not programmable by remote head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
As a dash mount, programs fine...when remote mounted with OEM remote cables, not able to read or write. CPS is R06.12.05. Is this a thing? Old Dell Windows 7 32 bit with actual serial port programming cable to mic jack. Banging my head here.

Paul

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Yup, known issue. Plenty of previous posts here going back many years on this.

FWIW, I use a genuine Motorola RKN4081C ribless, serial cable and have not encountered this issue. Most of my work has been on remote installations. This is strictly my observation not at recommended solution.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Well ain't that a b*&^h. I guess I will have to make sure I keep my case pry aparter tool with my programming cable now...

Paul

K2NEC

I believe some people have had luck with plugging the cable into the brick instead of the remote head however I havent tried this myself so I cant confirm whether it works or not.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, ran into this once. When I was using a real Motorola RIB, I didn't have the issue. Some after market cables/ribless cables don't like it, though.

And like K2NEC said, you can program through the rear 20 pin connector. You could probably make an RJ-50/RJ-45 to a 16 pin adapter pretty easily.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
I have had the same issue using aftermarket programming cables, using an OEM Motorola RKN4081B I have no trouble.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
I believe some people have had luck with plugging the cable into the brick instead of the remote head however I havent tried this myself so I cant confirm whether it works or not.
I have been able to program directly from the remote jack on the front of the chassis without having a head connected, just have to give the radio ignition power to get it turned on.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I guess I've been lucky. All the CDM's I used to have were remote head and all of them programmed thru the control head with an aftermarket ribless cable. Now if I can just apply some of this luck to the lottery!

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I have been able to program directly from the remote jack on the front of the chassis without having a head connected, just have to give the radio ignition power to get it turned on.

HKN9327 on the rear, connect to power, enable follow ignition in CPS and the remote deck will be hot and read/writable by CPS?

I guess I've been lucky. All the CDM's I used to have were remote head and all of them programmed thru the control head with an aftermarket ribless cable. Now if I can just apply some of this luck to the lottery!

Which aftermarket cable are you using? Parallels for Windows no longer seems to support 32 bit Motorola USB to serial adapters so I will have to fallback on my old Dell with USB and actual serial port for connection and flashing. Still easier than reassembling a radio into dashmount every time I need to touch it.

Paul

K2NEC

I've programmed a few remote heads too that didnt seem to give me much grief. I think my cable is a Valley Enterprise USB cable. I've used it on both windows 7 and XP without any problems. It did not like windows 10 though.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Paul, I use a ribless serial cable from KAWA-Mall (ebay store) and an old Dell latitude running WinXP 32 bit. The cable is about 15 years old. For what its worth I use a cable from the same place and a Motorola rib to program several remote head MCS2000's. No problems with them either.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
My cable is serial and since I will be using it on my Dell with serial port I went and ordered an ignition sense connector. Was going to play around holding a hot lead to accessory pin 10 for testing but I am too lazy to effort that :)

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
So I programmed my CDM1550 low band for follow ignition, then proceeded to take apart my doner CDM750 remote for parts and install them onto the now disassembled CDM1550. Deck went together fine, but then when I tried to put the remote part on the back of the CDM1550 head, it would not fit. The speaker mount location has been modified on the CDM1550 to make room for the wider LCD display board, and this causes the speaker driver to be pushed back far enough that it cannot fit in the remote back. Does this mean there is a different CDM1550 remote head kit, or is the remote capability only for the CDM750? :(

Paul

20211025_165445.jpg

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
That's just perfect. To make things more convinient, I just installed the ignition sense kit I bought and after reprogramming the radio in dashmout for ignition sense and then remoting it and plugging the programming cable in, I still cannot read it. :(Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 5.22.41 PM.png

Paul

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's just perfect. To make things more convinient, I just installed the ignition sense kit I bought and after reprogramming the radio in dashmout for ignition sense and then remoting it and plugging the programming cable in, I still cannot read it. :(

Paul

The remote head kits are not interchangeable. Remove the remote head kit and put the radio back together. Should work.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Egads...I guess with all the parts I have I will end up with both a remote 750 and 1550 CHP...thank you for the clarification. :)

I think I found someone who can sell me a used 1250/1550 kit. Wish me luck. o_O

Paul

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Egads...I guess with all the parts I have I will end up with both a remote 750 and 1550 CHP...thank you for the clarification. :)

I think I found someone who can sell me a used 1250/1550 kit. Wish me luck. o_O

Paul

Before you buy, make sure you check prices on new ones from sources like wiscomm.com I found they had new ones cheaper than the used ones being sold on e-Bay.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
That was my first stop months ago, but being discontinued I had no luck. I bought a CDM750 remote for cheaper than a remote kit and thought I outsmarted the system. I got the CDM1550 36-42MHz brand new in OEM box for $250.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.