• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM1550 LS+ Not transmitting but very brief second

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple CDM1550 LS+ in UHF and have programmed them with GMRS frequencies. Channels 1-22

It receives without any issue on the channels.

When I try and transmit I can get a brief (very very brief) transmission out before I get a tone back from the radio and all further transmissions are stopped. It will break squelch of the other test radios on the correct channels but will not transmit out once that tone comes back.

At one point someone helping me suggested it was an LS trunking error as if the radio wasn't authorized on the net that was programmed for and would stop transmitting. I am not trying to use trunking nor would I want to use trunking.

I just want basic GMRS capability on a few conventional channels. Could I get some feedback on possible areas or settings to review?

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
assuming your programming is correct.....

1. Power supply issue - check connections, voltage and current capability
2. Antenna issue - try a dummy load see if it goes away
3. RFI getting back into the radio - relocate antenna away from radio/power supply
4. Internal error/ Failure of the radio (doubtful)

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I have a couple CDM1550 LS+ in UHF and have programmed them with GMRS frequencies. Channels 1-22

It receives without any issue on the channels.

When I try and transmit I can get a brief (very very brief) transmission out before I get a tone back from the radio and all further transmissions are stopped. It will break squelch of the other test radios on the correct channels but will not transmit out once that tone comes back.

At one point someone helping me suggested it was an LS trunking error as if the radio wasn't authorized on the net that was programmed for and would stop transmitting. I am not trying to use trunking nor would I want to use trunking.

I just want basic GMRS capability on a few conventional channels. Could I get some feedback on possible areas or settings to review?
If you search around the net, you will find that inadequate power supply is the #1 cause of the symptom you describe. The radio draws more power on transmit than it does on receive. With an inadequate power supply, it will receive just fine, but when you key it up, it wants more current. When it senses that added current is not there, it beeps and stops transmitting.

For this radio, if it is the 25 watt rf model, your power supply should be capable of supplying at least 10 amps continuous. If you have the high power model (40 watts of rf), the power supply must be at least 15 amps.

You guys nailed it. I didn't have enough current going to the radio and once I turned that up then I was able to resolve the problem. Thank you all for your help. I was chasing a rabbit but you all provided a fresh prospective and solve my issue.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
You guys nailed it. I didn't have enough current going to the radio and once I turned that up then I was able to resolve the problem. Thank you all for your help. I was chasing a rabbit but you all provided a fresh prospective and solve my issue.

I have a pair of the CDM1550 LS radios for a portable repeater. I've installed a 30amp switching supply to run both radios, and also provide enough capacity to keep the gel-cell batteries charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.