• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM CDM1550LS+ Remote Mounting Question

KN6FCR

Hey everyone! Recently purchased 2 Motorola CDM series radios inside 2 vehicles. I’d like to remotely mount one of them. Problem is that the radio is not technically the remote mountable version of that radio. Would it be possible to buy a remote control head plus the proper cables connect it to the radio and have it controlled remotely?

Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes. The remote mount kit is the same for the CDM-1250 and CDM-1550 RLN-4802. A bit pricy, but shop around. Used on eBay is rarely the best price.
I think the last one I bought was from Wiscomm, but they are sold out. When they had them, they were about $75 for the kit and you needed to buy a separate cable for around $10. Cheapest price I usually found on eBay was in the $80 $90 range.

The remote mount kit for the CDM-750 is NOT the same and will not work with the 1250.

iowajm780

I also want to remote mount a 1550 due to pratically mount the radio. I remote head would solve my issues but I have yet to locate one. All the usual suspects have nothing since they are EOL'd which sucks since would be the end of my installation nightmares. Pretty much have given up for now and just use a 1250 with a battery eliminator in the car, not ideal of course but that's all I have for now. My companies radio system has excellent coverage until you get out into the boonies. Maybe I am just having bad luck or not searching hard enough to find one.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I also want to remote mount a 1550 due to pratically mount the radio. I remote head would solve my issues but I have yet to locate one. All the usual suspects have nothing since they are EOL'd which sucks since would be the end of my installation nightmares. Pretty much have given up for now and just use a 1250 with a battery eliminator in the car, not ideal of course but that's all I have for now. My companies radio system has excellent coverage until you get out into the boonies. Maybe I am just having bad luck or not searching hard enough to find one.
There’s THREE of them on ebay as I type this.

KN6FCR

Yes. The remote mount kit is the same for the CDM-1250 and CDM-1550 RLN-4802. A bit pricy, but shop around. Used on eBay is rarely the best price.
I think the last one I bought was from Wiscomm, but they are sold out. When they had them, they were about $75 for the kit and you needed to buy a separate cable for around $10. Cheapest price I usually found on eBay was in the $80 $90 range.

The remote mount kit for the CDM-750 is NOT the same and will not work with the 1250.

Got it. Will definitely look around for one in the future to have more mounting flexibility (y)

cpg178

You can use a Cat 5 cable as the remote mount cable if the kit you find does not come with the cable, but if it does use the cable it comes with. I dont recall if using a Cat cable prevents you from being able to program from the front keypad since the M cable is 10pin while cat is 8. Been a long time since I used CDMs

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You can use a Cat 5 cable as the remote mount cable if the kit you find does not come with the cable, but if it does use the cable it comes with. I dont recall if using a Cat cable prevents you from being able to program from the front keypad since the M cable is 10pin while cat is 8. Been a long time since I used CDMs

I've done the same thing on a few radios. Doesn't prevent programming. I think the two outer pins are used for telephone handset style audio, so not an issue with the standard mic.

iowajm780

There’s THREE of them on ebay as I type this.
You are very observant my friend. They come and go and the last time there were none. Used with no cable, rather use one the proper cable and not some Cat 5 cable not designed for it. Used ones are hit and miss, if I am going to all that trouble to mount one I want new for a reasonable price. The one for. $125 is crazy. The radio cost me $150 so forget that. So if you would like to buy that one for me, I will send you my PayPal address. So thanks for your diligent detective work on finding those. At this point I already scrapped the project and will work on other radio option. Thank you!

K2NEC

I've done the same thing on a few radios. Doesn't prevent programming. I think the two outer pins are used for telephone handset style audio, so not an issue with the standard mic.
IIRC the outer 2 pins are used for the DTMF mics, nevertheless, not needed for normal operation with a standard mic