Cedar Point to move to DMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB6AMF

I am not certain but it wouldn't surprise me if they went with P&R, as they tend to have an extremely large customer base in the state.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Cedar Point now has a DMR Trunked license. Any clue if they are going to a trunked system for the 2021 season?

WRFU706

Who knows. Take your DMR scanner with you and you should be okay. Probably separate Cap+ sites. Or perhaps a single Con+ and some Cap+.

Mike

gtaman

Probably is going to be CAP+ Kings Island had multiple analog repeaters when I went back in 2016. They were still using HT1000s….

Last edited by a moderator:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Probably is going to be CAP+ Kings Island had multiple analog repeaters when I went back in 2016. They were still using HT1000s….

Apart from being owned by the same holding company, what does Kings Island have to do with Cedar Point?

gtaman

Apart from being owned by the same holding company, what does Kings Island have to do with Cedar Point?
The fact that they are both similar and would most likely both switch at the same time. Or would follow each other’s systems designs.

rcid1971

Premium Subscriber
The fact that they are both similar and would most likely both switch at the same time. Or would follow each other’s systems designs.

You're giving Cedar Fair way too much credit. Each park actually uses different radio providers, there's very little corporate push for vendor synergy.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I've seen some people with brand new Motorola digital radios, and Hotel Breakers has DMR operations now.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I've seen some people with brand new Motorola digital radios, and Hotel Breakers has DMR operations now.

Doesn't surprise me. They probably have all of their non-law stuff on DMR. Maint, Housekeeping, Electricians, whatever. I don't know that to be fact, but it's a good bet . That's why they'd have a trunked system in the first place (although we don't know for a fact that they have a trunked system either).

But it certainly would be nice for somebody to sleuth it all out.

Mike

HoytKlagwell

Premium Subscriber
I'm just across the water from CP I can hear the screams from the riders on the coasters. I programmed in the new DMR's into my 996P2 with DMR upgrade and have not heard a peep from CP. I also programmed the old analog in and those are still active.

wd8chl

Bearcom did the licensing, if you look at the actual FCC site. But I would say if they haven't moved by now, they won't this season. Also I'd be surprised if it's true trunking, probably more like a bunch of conventionals, and with DMR they have 2 talk paths per channel. That leaves them with 18 talk paths in the park, and 2 out in that "sports center" on US 6.
Educated guess...

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Well Security just started getting new Motorola radios, it seems like only Supervisors so far are the ones getting the new radios.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I have been interested in monitoring theme parks for a while. Loved listening to Disneyland and when they went encrypted, I fed my withdrawal by listening to the smaller regional parks.

Anyway, I'm out in Northern California. Cedar Fair runs Great America in Santa Clara (city). They also have some sort of agreement to run a smaller park in Gilroy. I have also just returned from a three day trip from Knott's Berry Farm, that is also a Cedar Fair property. I thought I'd share my experience with "commonality" across the parks. ;)

Great America has been UHF and UHF T-Band analog. Just within the last couple of years they've gone digital with "one frequency trunking" for a couple of channels, mostly security. Gilroy Gardens used to be UHF analog. They reused their frequencies for a two frequency CAP+ system. So no commonality across the three parks in my state.

A lot of the CA metropolitan areas have gone digital to be more spectrum efficient. I was surprised that Knotts in Buena Park is still using their VHF analog system. No digital as far as I can tell. One commonality I have found is that Cedar Point and Knotts seem to use the same "Signal Codes" over the radio to describe ride status and a few others.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
So I got this while in the park the other day. The scanner is saying it's DMR emissions, but tyr freq is transmitting a PL Tone. How does that work 😂

(The Picture is too big to upload, but the scanner says DMR for the mode, but it's flashing CTCSS: 146 2Hz

TJX400

Kings Dominion here in Virginia has been analog for years, and the radio guys over there (from what I've heard) have tried multiple times to get them to go DMR, but the park won't do it because of the cost associated with the upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the other Cedar Fair parks are the same way. I don't think they understand the significant enhancement that a digital system would bring. Especially given how good the Motorola vocoders are at noise cancellation. In a noisy roller coaster or largely crowded environment, that noise reduction alone would bring a serious improvement to clarity of radio traffic. That, alongside the doubled capacity a TDMA enabled system would bring, should (I would think) be enough to convince the big guys to invest in a new system. However, not everyone sees the value in such a system and more than likely see the radios as a "as long as they work good enough" kind of deal, which is unfortunate.

budevans

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I'm going through recordings I had logged on my SDS100 and see encryption on 464.4375 CC13. I had also logged CC7 on that freq. It'll definitely be interesting trying to figure things out.

rcid1971

Premium Subscriber
Park opening day was today, hoping to bump the thread to encourage anyone to add to the DB.

Status
Not open for further replies.