Ceist and desist letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunjerry

So who I thought was an up and up deputy. I was telling him that I was thinking about putting up a live feed for our 911 and sheriff office frequencies. Wow he went crazy. Says I will get a ceist and desist letter ,that would put deputies in danger.
I didn't tell him RR but I did tell him 2 fire departments were on line....any suggestion?

So who I thought was an up and up deputy. I was telling him that I was thinking about putting up a live feed for our 911 and sheriff office frequencies. Wow he went crazy. Says I will get a ceist and desist letter ,that would put deputies in danger.
I didn't tell him RR but I did tell him 2 fire departments were on line....any suggestion?

"Cease and Desist"

Cease and Desist: Everything You Need to Know

fredva

Feed Provider
You gotta realize that not every law enforcement agency wants to be monitored. Plenty of discussion on that topic over the years in the forums. Technically, they may not be able to prevent you from setting up a feed. However, they can always encrypt in the future, meaning that not only will there not be a feed, but everybody who owns a scanner in the area will be shut out. And unhappy.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I would just lay low and put it to sleep. There is no reason to throw up a feed unless you want that department to eventually say screw you and use encryption down the road. Just respect it and move on. If you want a personal feed then do it for your own personal use. Don't throw their comms out to the world. It scares these cops these days and its just not worth it. You do what you want, but if there is an action then there will be a reaction.

cajunjerry

You gotta realize that not every law enforcement agency wants to be monitored. Plenty of discussion on that topic over the years in the forums. Technically, they may not be able to prevent you from setting up a feed. However, they can always encrypt in the future, meaning that not only will there not be a feed, but everybody who owns a scanner in the area will be shut out. And unhappy.
I was hoping that someone knew of a 1st admenment law ...

diskmonger

Keep it up, once it's all encrypted you won't have anything left to listen to.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Keep it up, once it's all encrypted you won't have anything left to listen to.

Yup. You are exactly right. Our county is fully LE encrypted almost 20 years ago. Our fire departments are next on the chop block next month. So that means 100 percent end to end. They don't have to worry about some yahoo coming and saying that I am going to stream your audio to the world. They laugh and say go on your way. We are locked down. This is not even an option.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I remember back in the 60's-70's-80's... I always had been told, or read that it was illegal to devulge to others what you hear on your scanner when monitoring public safety communications. I don't know if that was actually true, or if anything over the years had changed. Of course I would tell family members and a hand full of personal friends, but that was the extent of it. A lot has changed since then, and now it's posted in forums and emails, newspapers, new broadcasts freely on radio and TV, often even actual 911 recordings. Then streaming came to be. But does anyone know where it all stands legally today?

I had a friend back in the 70's that overheard LEIN check on his boss regarding a DUI. His boss was absent the next day. Come to find out, he was out of the office for about a week. When he came back to work he told everyone he had been in the hospital. My friend confronted him in front of several coworkers regarding what he heard on the scanner. He was fired on the spot, and probably lucky he didn't get sued. Nothing more came of it. I wonder how that would go today...no well at all I'm sure.

Sometimes it helps the departments and their officers, some like it, some hate it, depending on what was said of course. However they can't have it both ways. They're should be a level of transparancy, but there are situations there should be a reasonable level of privacy. Comon sense on both sides should prevail. However common sense is a rare commodity theses days.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I do not believe there is any law that can stop you from streaming received audio out over the internets, at least nothing on the federal level.

A "cease and desist" letter might come with some strong wording, but I don't think there is often much to back it up from a legal standpoint. —disclaimer— I'm not a lawyer.

A police department could certainly ask nicely, then ask a bit more forcefully, then ask with more force, but ultimately I do not think there is any way they can stop you.

But….
As others have said, this is why encryption gets put in place. They can legally encrypt, and there's nothing you can really do about that.

So, you need to decide what you want to do.
You can wait for the cease and desist letters to start showing up. You can abide by their wishes or you can ignore them.
But then you might have to deal with encryption

My suggestion would be to not push this. Enjoy what you hear privately. If others want to listen, let them purchase their own scanners. Don't force the department to go encrypted and take away everyones options.

kg4pbd

Every issue of Police Call had an warning in the first few pages to keep what you heard to yourself. It’s too bad that has been forgotten in the social media/streaming era....

cmdrwill

Every issue of Police Call had an warning in the first few pages to keep what you heard to yourself. It’s too bad that has been forgotten in the social media/streaming era....

I remember similar text in the FCC Regulations that you could not repeat or rebroadcast.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I am really getting a kick out of this now. Don't stream. But support RR they stream

Very good point. I think our hobby got caught up along with the excitement of streaming music ,video and social media. Back in the day, it was cool to have a Police app, we didn't know what the long term effects were going to be. In the day of rights to protect vital information, HIPPA - "The HIPAA Privacy regulations require health care providers and organizations, as well as their business associates, to develop and follow procedures that ensure the confidentiality and security of protected health information (PHI) when it is transferred, received, handled, or shared. This applies to all forms of PHI, including paper, oral, and electronic, etc. Furthermore, only the minimum health information necessary to conduct business is to be used or shared." This applies to everyone, patients and first responders.
I think if our hobby would have went in different direction if we would have governed ourselves of not allowing streaming. We spend thousands of dollars buying expensive receivers, scanners, antenna's, computers, software and accessories and were take our hobby very serious, but we haven't taken responsibility.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Probably a good idea to not get on the bad side of your community's first responders. Appreciate them instead. Never know when you'll need their help.

Status
Not open for further replies.