cell phone amp and antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr9876

I use the mini magnet Wilson antenna and the dual band amp.
I'm on Verizon.
With just the antenna I get 1 extra bar. With the amp and the mini I get
2.5 bars extra.
If I get the regular size wilson antenna,about 3 times the height..
will that help a lot..?? I want a full 3 bars improvement from the existing level. That amp was 200$ and 3 bars is the minimum that would make it
worth all that $. what do you think>>????

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
rr9876 said:
I use the mini magnet Wilson antenna and the dual band amp.
I'm on Verizon.
With just the antenna I get 1 extra bar. With the amp and the mini I get
2.5 bars extra.
If I get the regular size wilson antenna,about 3 times the height..
will that help a lot..?? I want a full 3 bars improvement from the existing level. That amp was 200$ and 3 bars is the minimum that would make it
worth all that $. what do you think>>????
You didn't say where your antenna is mounted/located or what your local conditions are, such as hills/mountains or flat terrain, and you didn't give any part numbers for reference so it is hard to compare. The amp probably does more for you than the larger antenna would. If I am guessing correctly on the P/N, the larger antenna will probably increase the signal strength, but it is hard to say by how much. The gain spec on the larger antenna looks to be about twice the mini.

Is your signal unacceptable now? Are you in a bad signal area? If your signal is acceptable now why change?

I use the same Wilson mini mag antenna, with no amp, sometimes when I have to drive in low signal areas and it does pretty well for me.
Dave

rr9876

I guess its a lot of little things.. I guess I will get the bigger antenna..

mjthomas59

If you get a good benefit from the small antenna, then changing to the larger one would be worth a shot. The better signal in and out of the amp can't hurt anything. Where you may run into trouble is if you start driving through dense metro areas, which are completely saturated with radio frequencies. Then you will more than likely see a negative effect, but i'm sure there is a way to disconnect from the amp when necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.