Cell phone booster for 800MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramred

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Can I use a Wilson electronics cell phone booster with mag mount antenna to boost the 800MHz range of my scanner? I live in a rural area on the edge of the EDACS system I am scanning. I am using a BC346XT connected to a 9dB in line booster on a new mag mount cellular antenna. It works, but the reception is so-so.It is however much improved over the stock antenna. I only scan 800MHz.

Thoughts?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Absolutely you can use one, but unless it has more than 9db gain, it isn't going to work any better than your current set up.

If you are scanning at home, you might be better off using a directional antenna pointed at the repeater site.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
A few factors:
What is the frequency range of the cell booster...does it cover the frequency of the trunked system.

How will you place the inside antenna to prevent oscillation from the outside donor antenna.

It's illegal. (FCC has made it clear that cell boosters can only be operated with the permission of the licensee, and unless you are in an area with no cell licensees, you will be amplifying their signal without permission).

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A few factors:
What is the frequency range of the cell booster...does it cover the frequency of the trunked system.

How will you place the inside antenna to prevent oscillation from the outside donor antenna.

It's illegal. (FCC has made it clear that cell boosters can only be operated with the permission of the licensee, and unless you are in an area with no cell licensees, you will be amplifying their signal without permission).

How is it illegal? He's using it as a preamp for his scanner. It's not like he's using it to boost his transmitted cellular signal. His closest cell site would not be amplified if it's connected to his scanner.

n9zas

N8IAA

How can it be illegal if he is amplifying the received EDACS trunking system signal on his scanner:confused:
Larry

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
How can it be illegal if he is amplifying the received EDACS trunking system signal on his scanner:confused:
Larry

I was assuming he was talking about a 2 antenna (donor and inside) BDA style Wilson cell phone booster. If so, then wow, I was hoping he was not talking about connecting it to his scanner because he would toast the front end of the scanner.

Is there a Wilson cell phone amp that is meant for direct connection? Do cell phones even have antenna ports any longer?

Edit: I see they make two kinds, one with a cradle and one for buildings. I was thinking about the building types like this http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/Pr...t=192&title=iDEN+800+MHz+(804080)&Category=11

Second edit: Have you tried a directional (yagi) antenna? That can get you up to 9-12 dB gain over that mag mount without amplification, simply by "focusing" the antenna in the direction you need.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Hello,

Can I use a Wilson electronics cell phone booster with mag mount antenna to boost the 800MHz range of my scanner? I live in a rural area on the edge of the EDACS system I am scanning. I am using a BC346XT connected to a 9dB in line booster on a new mag mount cellular antenna. It works, but the reception is so-so.It is however much improved over the stock antenna. I only scan 800MHz.

Thoughts?

Where/what system? Indoors, or mobile? What inline booster? Have you tried the GRE/RS 800MHz antenna? The included duck that comes with the scanners doesn't usually do well.
Larry

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I was assuming he was talking about a 2 antenna (donor and inside) BDA style Wilson cell phone booster. If so, then wow, I was hoping he was not talking about connecting it to his scanner because he would toast the front end of the scanner.

Is there a Wilson cell phone amp that is meant for direct connection? Do cell phones even have antenna ports any longer?

Edit: I see they make two kinds, one with a cradle and one for buildings. I was thinking about the building types like this http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/ProductDetails.aspx?Product=192&title=iDEN+800+MHz+(804080)&Category=11

Second edit: Have you tried a directional (yagi) antenna? That can get you up to 9-12 dB gain over that mag mount without amplification, simply by "focusing" the antenna in the direction you need.

Not meaning to get off topic, just answer a question.

"Do cell phones even have antenna ports any longer?"

They do, remove the battery cover and there usually is a small jack for a ext antenna( with the correct adapter) on almost all TDMA/ CDMA phones.

n9zas

zz0468

QRT
Banned
All of the Wilson cellphone boosters that I have seen are actually bi-directional amplifiers (BDA) that are intended to have one antenna pointed at the donor cellsite, and another antenna inside to provide interior coverage.

Unless specifically authorized by the licensee of the system it's boosting, they are illegal. The FCC is taking aggressive action against these because of the interference potential to licensed users, and services outside the cellular bands, namely public safety.

I have personally DF'd these devices installed in private homes because they were interfering with public safety systems. And I mean SEVERE interference.

If the OP needs to enhance reception, then a low noise receive-only preamplifier and a better antenna is in order, not a Wilson cellular booster.

N8IAA

All of the Wilson cellphone boosters that I have seen are actually bi-directional amplifiers (BDA) that are intended to have one antenna pointed at the donor cellsite, and another antenna inside to provide interior coverage.

Unless specifically authorized by the licensee of the system it's boosting, they are illegal. The FCC is taking aggressive action against these because of the interference potential to licensed users, and services outside the cellular bands, namely public safety.

I have personally DF'd these devices installed in private homes because they were interfering with public safety systems. And I mean SEVERE interference.

If the OP needs to enhance reception, then a low noise receive-only preamplifier and a better antenna is in order, not a Wilson cellular booster.

Now I understand what Thunderknight was trying to say.
Thanks,
Larry

boosterplaza

With the fast-paced advancement in mobile phones, mobile phone booster is also at its rise. They are of great help in amplifying weak signal making a smooth and hassle-free communication.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
With the fast-paced advancement in mobile phones, mobile phone booster is also at its rise. They are of great help in amplifying weak signal making a smooth and hassle-free communication.
Perhaps, but that does not make them any more legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.