Cell Phones cannot be heard with scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
For all of you who came here to ask questions about recieving cellular voice transmissions with scanners

You CANNOT hear cell phone conversations with scanners, it is NOT possible!
Cell phone transmissions use a special digital signals that cannot be recieved with scanners
The cellular band in the 800MHz range of scanners are BLOCKED!
Even if you have an unblocked 800MHz scanner, you simply cannot recieve cell phone conversations

and also it is ILLEGAL!

Its over, not anymore! You cant hear cell phones and thats final

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

That is incorrect

Cell phone transmissions use a special digital signals that cannot be recieved with scanners

Not all of them

On new production US scanners, but there are lots of old scanners that can receive all the 800mhz frequencies

Even if you have an unblocked 800MHz scanner, you simply cannot recieve cell phone conversations

Once again, that is incorrect

and also it is ILLEGAL!

In the US, that is correct

That is incorrect

zz0468

QRT
Banned
What is the point of this thread? This has been discussed before, over and over, ad nauseum... Does anyone have anything new to be said about it?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Does anyone have anything new to be said about it?

This is usually all I want to say...

motivator2977597.jpg

We can always use this one :D

motivator413520sssssssss.jpg

n1das

Grog said:
chrismoll said:

That is incorrect

chrismoll said:

Not all of them

chrismoll said:

On new production US scanners, but there are lots of old scanners that can receive all the 800mhz frequencies

chrismoll said:

Once again, that is incorrect

chrismoll said:
and also it is ILLEGAL!

In the US, that is correct

chrismoll said:
That is incorrect

I love it when the OMGWTFILLEGALs get their chops busted by somebody that actually KNOWS what they're talking about. :D LOL LMAO!

Last edited:

n1das

Not true. I always hear my cell phone when I'm using it and have it in my ear so I can hear what the other person is saying to me. I wish the earpiece volume was a little louder though. I've often got the volume cranked all the way up and sometimes have to struggle to hear the other person when I'm in a noisy environments. Some cell phones I've owned in the past had LOUD audio in the earpiece and that was nice...at least I had the option of turning the volume down if it was too loud.

:D

LEH

Premium Subscriber
The people who keep raising this dead horse must be cat haters.

Me I don't like cats, but I would never hurt one because of it. My mother had a poster on her wall for many years that expressed her (and mine) opinion of cats.

Large Garfield looking cat sauntering toward you, tail up in the air and saying.

"Places to go.
Things to do.
People to annoy."

More on topic, being the pack rat that I am (maybe that is why I don't like cats, they don't like pack rats), I still have two or three scanners that are unblocked, either made that way or modified to open the coverage.

Even when I was inclined to listen in (and I will admit, cell phones were not as prevalent then), they really were BORING, impossible to track when they changed cells and just generally a waste of time. I just lost interest in listening.

I pulled one of the unblocked scanners out last night because we'd lost power during a storm and I have the power company frequencies in it. Good old PRO-43.

hoser147

What is the point of this thread? This has been discussed before, over and over, ad nauseum... Does anyone have anything new to be said about it?
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114143
Its my understanding that with the flood of recent Cell phone Scanning questions that Chris is hoping that this would be a sticky to avoid the subject being posted over and over again..................Good Scannin Hoser

Status
Not open for further replies.