Cellular phone scanners??

Status
Not open for further replies.

OZ_Redneck

I think it's technically illegal to have a receiver that picks up mobile phones bit i've read a few articles that imply that some of the better uniden and realistic scanners can be modded to receive them, is this true?

What are the frequencies for cellular phones in Australia? I read that it was between 860-950 MHZ or thereabouts but im not sure if that is correct.

N

N_Jay

OZ_Redneck said:
I think it's technically illegal to have a receiver that picks up mobile phones bit i've read a few articles that imply that some of the better uniden and realistic scanners can be modded to receive them, is this true?

What are the frequencies for cellular phones in Australia? I read that it was between 860-950 MHZ or thereabouts but im not sure if that is correct.

Not sure what the laws are in AU.

I don't think AU ever used AMPS (analog) phones, and ETACS is dead, so I would guess there is no analog cellular to listen to even if it was legal.

OZ_Redneck

OK, we had analogue during the 90's and I listened to them a lot, they were in the 500MHZ range if I recall.

Are there any scanners that can pick up modern phones (digital?)...either in Australia or the US?

N

N_Jay

OZ_Redneck said:
Are there any scanners that can pick up modern phones (digital?)...either in Australia or the US?

NO! Due to the digital format, even if you get the band opened.

And some cellular even has encryption on top of that.

nfd_rescue

I can still pick up some cordless conversations between 875 and 902 MHZ using an old Bearcat 800XLT

SCPD

QRT
Yes we had analogue phones up until the year 2000 when the AMPS network was shut down. These were in the 800Mhz band and you could listen to them, Before the AMPS went into 800Mhz we had another networks years before that in the 500Mhz.

Now days with the digital networks we have, there is no monitoring of them on your scanner. They use a number of different ways to add levels of security that are almost impossible to crack.

Listening to the cell phones in Australia is not only Illegal, but impossible anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.