Central County & North Central Fire Merger in the works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingnutStl

Premium Subscriber
Stltoday is reporting that St. Louis county executive Charlie Dooley has requested that the St. Louis County Council authorize a grant to merge the Central County and North Central Fire dispatch centers into one agency. His reasoning is that it will have money in the long term by only having to upgrade one center.

The text of the article is located here: Funding sought for merger of two emergency dispatch centers in St. Louis County

I understand the cost benefits, but I am not sure that the citizens of St. Louis county will be better served by this or not.

qubix

The funny thing is my boss was talking about it. She's apparently in the know, or knows someone who's involved in the project. She understood it would be built in Valley Park and open within a year from now.

KeyWest35

Premium Subscriber
The funny thing is my boss was talking about it. She's apparently in the know, or knows someone who's involved in the project. She understood it would be built in Valley Park and open within a year from now.

Central County dispatch will probably merge with North Central but it will remain in its present location. It just keeps the county from buying more dispatch consoles thus saving money. From what i understand St Louis County PD is probably going to build a new dispatch center near Valley Park. They may also dispatch for some fire agencies as well which would be better for them and us residents as they are much quicker to dispatch their cars than some fire dispatch centers dispatch equipment for the same call and at times it is a very long time lapse.
St Louis County PD gets their calls out extremely fast. Recently i called them reporting an incident and they were dispatching as i was talking to them. All of this proposed change is due to the 911 tax increase voters approved for new warning sirens and communications.

WingnutStl

Premium Subscriber
If memory serves me correctly, St. Louis County will be building their law enforcement dispatch center on property that was "purchased" from St. Louis County Parks in Olendorf County Park near Big Bend and Hanna Rd.

Personally I don't see the County Police getting into the fire/EMS dispatch business again anytime soon. That's not to say that Fire/EMS won't be dispatched out of the same building by a separate group of people. As a bit of history, the police department was responsible for dispatching "county ambulance" for EMS calls in Meacham Park and Kinloch. Around 1992 or 1993 those EMS services were absorbed by the fire protection districts. I always hated dispatching those calls.

KeyWest35

Premium Subscriber
If memory serves me correctly, St. Louis County will be building their law enforcement dispatch center on property that was "purchased" from St. Louis County Parks in Olendorf County Park near Big Bend and Hanna Rd.

Personally I don't see the County Police getting into the fire/EMS dispatch business again anytime soon. That's not to say that Fire/EMS won't be dispatched out of the same building by a separate group of people. As a bit of history, the police department was responsible for dispatching "county ambulance" for EMS calls in Meacham Park and Kinloch. Around 1992 or 1993 those EMS services were absorbed by the fire protection districts. I always hated dispatching those calls.

Remember what i said when they open their doors in close to 2 years without saying any more. You will be surprised with all of the changes.

N2JDS

What I find funny is the line " Funding sought for merger of two emergency dispatch centers in St. Louis County" , so they need money, to save money. I know, it is along term savings, it just sounds funny to put it that way.

KeyWest35

Premium Subscriber
Just heard another rumor from a usually reliable informant that the merger for the two dispatch centers has hit a serious snag and may not happen afterall which actually might be best for both dispatch agencies employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.