Central Florida / Orange - Seminole

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcomm

Hi,

I used to live in Seminole County and East Orange County.

If I go visit today, I know everything is trunked. If I had a Bearcat BCD436HP (homepatrol with Phase II), would this work to pick up Seminole / Orange County ? What about Orlando?

I'm intrigued by the "enter your zip code" and it works - is this for real? Does the whole zip code thing work? Everything is so advanced now.

Input welcome...

thanks guys.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I used to live in Seminole County and East Orange County.

If I go visit today, I know everything is trunked. If I had a Bearcat BCD436HP (homepatrol with Phase II), would this work to pick up Seminole / Orange County ? What about Orlando?

I'm intrigued by the "enter your zip code" and it works - is this for real? Does the whole zip code thing work? Everything is so advanced now.

Input welcome...

thanks guys.

Yes, your scanner will work for those areas. Just know that all law enforcement in Orange County and Orlando are encrypted. Pretty much everything else is in the clear last time I was through the area.

Since the HP series has the RR database included (make sure to update regularly), all you need is a zip code and it will scan the systems in that area.

I sold my HP's pretty soon after I got them in favor of the new P2's so I didn't get to play around with them that much.

emcomm

Thank you.

Ok, so police are encrypted, but on the same system---and the FD are not encrypted.

What portable scanner would you recommend. I'm in the market to buy one within a month.

thanks again

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Correct. Police and sheriff in Orange County are encrypted while city and county fire rescue is clear on the same system. Seminole county is pretty much clear all the way around.

There are a couple of systems capable of Phase II but are operating in Phase I for now. It's best to stay ahead in my opinion so I would consider a Phase II scanner.

If you like to program stuff on your own get the new BCD325P2. If you like everything already done for you the the BCD436HP will work too. Your preference.

I have only used Uniden products for scanning so I can't comment on the other P25 Phase II scanners. Browse around the forum as there's lots of other reviews as well.

RF-Burns

I was just in Orange and Seminole County 4 weeks ago for vacation. We stayed in Lake Mary with Family.
Seminole County is Phase 1 P25, No encryption what so ever at this time. Orange County Fire and Orlando Fire are all P25 Phase 1 Wih no encryption. Orlando PD and Orange County PD are all encrypted. Reedy Creek Fire (Walt Disney World Supporting Fire Department) Is all encrypted.
I brought along my 436 and 536 and they both worked fantastic! I never use the zip code thing, I always program my radios to the way I want them. The zip code thing I guess could be nice but it always throws way to much crap in there, so I never use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.