Central Indiana Snow Plow Freqs

cubn

Database Admin
I love trying to identify streets, public works and county highway talkgroups and frequencies this time of year. But I need some help for some agencies that are just out of range or I have not been able to identify the color codes or PL tones yet. Hoping to get your help...

Bartholomew County Government Services
FrequencyLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
151.085KJH290RMBrthlomw HwyCounty HighwayDMRPublic Works
Boone County Government Services/Utilities
159.18KSH473RMBoone RoadsCounty Highway DepartmentFMNPublic Works
155.6025KJC944RMZville DPWZionsville Public WorksDMRPublic Works
151.085KNIH350BMLeb StreetsLebanon Street DepartmentFMNPublic Works
Brown County Government Services
151.115KNGZ738RMBrown HiwayHighway DepartmentFMNPublic Works
Decatur County
453.95WPZE737RMLicense Expired, maybe now they use Baltus LTR?
Johnson County Government
151.025KNAU425RMJC HIGHWAY DEPTHighway DepartmentNXDNPublic Works
Montgommery Government Services/Utilities
453.8WQHG684RM54-HWY-MAINMontgomery County Highway DepartmentDMRPublic Works
453.8WQHG684RM146.2 PL54-HWY-MAINMontgomery County Highway DepartmentFMNPublic Works
151.13WQBJ806RM54-CO-GOVTMontgomery County Government ServicesFMNPublic Works
453.225WPLX295RM54-CPW-STRTCrawfordsville Street DepartmentDMRPublic Works
Putnam County Government Services
159.165WQFM773RMPutnamHwyPutnam County Highway DepartmentNXDNPublic Works
156.165WPVY670Greencastle StreetsStreet DepartmentFMPublic Works
Rush County
155.115WYV336BMRushville StreetsStreet DepartmentFMPublic Works

INDaviation

Custom title goes here
Premium Subscriber
I'll see what I can hear in Johnson and Boone.

Wish I knew what Speedway Street Dept was using. I've seen antennas on our plow trucks, just not sure what they're using.

west-pac

I know it's not on the list, but I'll share because it's odd. Blackford County Highway uses 854Mhz conventional FM.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I think Speedway is the ONLY one I have not heard on the System 2 TG's... Lawrence has one dedicated TG that I have heard, possibly others, Beech Grove I hear usually on the South Zone ones.... Speedway probably is on, but I have not caught them yet. Same with the Solid Waste TG's.. I need to do more dedicated monitoring of S2 again, maybe can find the Lawrence ones for SW, and the Speedway ones. As for Johnson County, Matt and yourself have indicated they are using NXDN, but as of yet, none of us have caught the RAN. Greenwood is on the DMR, and so far is using 2 TG's, possibly more but have not caught more yet.

INDaviation

Custom title goes here
Premium Subscriber
In Speedway, solid waste and recycling are contracted to Ray's (now Waste Management.) But I'd bet the other towns have their own TGs for that.

I would not be surprised if Speedway is using something like cellular PTT and the antennas are just leftover from an old system.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
In Speedway, solid waste and recycling are contracted to Ray's (now Waste Management.) But I'd bet the other towns have their own TGs for that.

I would not be surprised if Speedway is using something like cellular PTT and the antennas are just leftover from an old system.
So the City of Speedway has actually marked trucks doing the plowing? Just curious as Lawrence is the same IDPW dumptrucks with plows and spreaders, same for the rest of Marion County with highways and all the access ramps to the I's by INDOT. Oh and the contracted smaller plow trucks for side streets if it gets bad enough that they call out the "Hired" Snow Force guys. IPS has its own trucks with plows for school properties, not sure what they use for radios, if they are on the old VHF, or have an TG yet on S2. All I have ever seen on IPS vehicles is the VHF ants. Also kinda surprised that IDPW Solid Waste is not putting plows on the trucks like other cites do. Indy never plows the alleys that the garbage trucks use. Also saw them hooking a plow on one of the KIND trucks so they are finally getting ready too. Also shocked IDPW does not have tractors for the sidewalks yet.. Also something other cities do.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Oh correction needed for Boone County per the FCC license... 151.2125 Repeater out, 155.9175 Repeater in from License FCC Callsign KSH473 (BOONE, COUNTY OF) And its also possibly DMR. The listed freq of 159.1800 is actually 159.1875 and is a Mobiles only one. That may explain why its not heard?

Lebanon DPW 151.0850 possibly also DMR now.

Last edited by a moderator:

INDaviation

Custom title goes here
Premium Subscriber
So the City of Speedway has actually marked trucks doing the plowing?
Yep. We have about 4 or so International WorkStar plow/salt trucks with SSD logos on them. The whole fleet of Street Dept pickup trucks have plow mounts too, same for the Water Works vehicles. I've seen DPW plows on Crawfordsville Road before and that's about all they do here.

Speedway Schools plows all of the school lots with a pickup truck and they're on conventional NXDN.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Noticed Mods to the Johnson County lic.. They added DMR with the NXDN now... SO will give that a listen too and see if they may have gone that route with G'wood. (Though with SO and Fire using NXDN would have thought it cheaper to have everyone through same vendor and radios. Think County Parks & Rec is still analog)

cubn

Database Admin
Noticed Mods to the Johnson County lic.. They added DMR with the NXDN now... SO will give that a listen too and see if they may have gone that route with G'wood. (Though with SO and Fire using NXDN would have thought it cheaper to have everyone through same vendor and radios. Think County Parks & Rec is still analog)
Why would the ERP for analog and NXDN be 73 and only 10 for DMR on KNAU425 151.025?

I just heard NXDN on 155.610 (which is now an expired license) and DMR on 155.550 (Greenwood PW) this afternoon while search the VHF band.

I don't think I've ever heard anything on 156.180 (Co Parks) ... always figured I was just too far away.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Why would the ERP for analog and NXDN be 73 and only 10 for DMR on KNAU425 151.025?

I just heard NXDN on 155.610 (which is now an expired license) and DMR on 155.550 (Greenwood PW) this afternoon while search the VHF band.

I don't think I've ever heard anything on 156.180 (Co Parks) ... always figured I was just too far away.
@cubn ERP is most likely an mistake in the license.. Typo etc. As for G'Wood I kinda expected all their VHF to go to DMR with Public Works/Operations, after all, its all through one shop, where JoCo is going NXDN. I would expect a renewal pretty soon on the JCSO stuff. I heard digital on Boone, but not strong enough signal to decode today... Hoping for a band opening with the weather getting interesting so I can get the tone. Also still working on getting the Hendricks School stuff nailed down. Also if you want I will do a sub on the correction for Boone as its listed wrong. (See above)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomcu96

Plus, if you looked at the radio stuff on the P25 system. They always stuff from in dot on there. if you look at the different radio stuff. I have me some listening to the local schools too

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I've been wondering about this for a long time as I hear it active on an analog scanner but I don't have a NXDN radio to log the RAN. Mission accomplished!
And yes, I subbed it in.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Score again:
155.6025 KJC944 RM Zville DPW Zionsville Public Works DMR Public Works
Color Code: 6
Talkgroup: 200 - Streets
Slot: 1