Central New York Interoperable Communications Consortium (CNYICC)

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
I am in Herkimer Ny and this Central New York Interoperable Communications Consortium (CNYICC) is on Simulcasting and trunking would i be able to hear

Last edited:

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
I moved to Florida in 2007 so it was just before the changeover to the CNYICC but you may be able to hear the system in Herkimer Co. With a Mobile or Base setup I could pick up 154.205 from Onondaga County (better on the eastern end of the county) from what I can remember. Here's the thing though. VHF is better than UHF distance wise so that right there may prevent you from hearing it. The only way of knowing is try it. Let me know!!!!!!

k2hz

Database Admin
The systems are designed for coverage only within each county. With the simulcast issues a problem even within the county it depends on a scanner like the Unication or SDS100/200 that can provide proper reception. Outside the county or with other scanners it all depends on your location.

Oneida County CNYICC is VHF, other counties in the system are UHF, but the range is no longer a question of VHF vs UHF like conventional systems. There is no correlation with former VHF conventional system coverage.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Depending on your scanner and antenna setup you may be able to hear the Oneida County system. Check 151.010 MHz and see if you can hear the control channel.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I was in Herkimer about a month ago, with a mobile scanner, not designed for simulcast, and had no issues hearing CNYICC there.
However as with all simulcast systems, it can be very location specific. Your best bet is a SDS or Unication like k2hz said. The point I am making is, I was able to hear it there in Herkimer.

k2hz

Database Admin
I am in herkimer Ny i am using TRX-1 and the only thing i hear is NFM systems
The discussion was about the ability to hear the CNYICC system from Oneida and adjacent counties in Herkimer County. It did not imply that any Herkimer systems were digital at this time.

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
The discussion was about the ability to hear the CNYICC system from Oneida and adjacent counties in Herkimer County. It did not imply that any Herkimer systems were digital at this time.

Thank you for your information and you are the only person that gave me the best info thank you for your information

k2hz

Database Admin
I will be getting a SD100 maybe today I am so excited
Per a previous post, you should be able to receive the CNYICC Oneida Site in much of Herkimer County. When you program CNYICC as a Favorite I suggest you lock out the other County Sites and only scan Oneida. Otherwise the scanner is constantly attempting to find the other County Site Control Channels resulting in intermittent reception and probably frustration. Once you have Oneida working, you can experiment with attempting to receive the other sites.

A big, multi-site, P25 system like CNYICC can be a bit confusing at first. Once you are receiving it OK you will probably want to Avoid the Talk Groups that are not of interest. You have the options of ID Search or ID Scan. The default ID Scan means you only hear the programmed TGs which is what I recommend at first. ID Search also will display any new TGs it finds which you can then add to your favorites. I suggest you use this only after you are familiar with the system.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
@Jasonr80 Congrats! New toys are always fun. If you need any help, please ask. I highly recommend the advice K2HZ provided and lock out the other CNYICC sites. When you get comfortable with the radio, add in other sites and systems.

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
I am trying to get CNYICC to work and i didn't know what to take out of that system i am very new to this SDS100 i am confused a lot

Last edited:

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
I just got back from Cleveland last night so I didn't have a chance to respond to your post. Have you managed to read through the numerous forums to learn how to communicate with the scanner? Hopefully you are using Sentinel and have learned how to download updates. You will also need to know how to create Favorites Lists (FL) and save them to the scanner.

Assuming you know how to do a few things, I recommend that create a new FL in Sentinel and name it Oneida County. From Sentinel, look through the Database (USA) and find New York. Find Oneida and navigate to County Systems. Right Click Central New York Interoperable Communications Consortium (CNYICC) and "Append to Favorites List". Select the Oneida County FL you created. From the Sentinel top menu, select Edit and then "Edit Favorites List". Select Oneida County. The FL Editor opens. I rename the long CNYICC name to "CNYICC - Oneida". This simplifies what is displayed on the scanner. In the left pane of the FL Editor, click on the CNYICC-Oneida (or whatever you renamed it to). In the right pane, you can Avoid the non-Oneida County Talk Groups. If you click on the Sites tab, you can also Avoid the other Simulcast sites (Cayuga, Jefferson, Madison, Onondaga, and Oswego Simulcast). Don't Avoid the Oneida Simulcast. When you are happy with your new Oneida County FL, close the FL Editor. Sentinel will ask you if you want to save. Say yes! Now you can write the FL back to the scanner.

These instructions skip a lot of steps as there are plenty to instructions all of Radio Reference and YouTube. You can't hurt the scanner, so give it a try. If you mess up, do it again until you are happy with your work. Once you understand how FLs work, organize them by whatever method works for you. I organize my FLs by County (i.e. Herkimer, Lewis, Madison, Oneida, etc.) as well as by specific areas of interest (i.e. Aviation, Business, Ham Radio, Military, etc.). I switch the lists on/off via Quick Keys.

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
I done a backup onto my PC when i first got the radio and already made a favores list and there all set but i still am not hearing CNYICC it all I maybe to far away from the system to be able to hear it as I have done everything as you said and I am not hearing a thing of P25 digtal it all just only my local Conv in Herkimer County

k2hz

Database Admin
With it stopped on just the CNYICC try moving the scanner around and see if you get any flickering of the signal bars on the upper right of the screen. If it finds the Control Channel the word DATA will appear whenever it is not receiving an active TG.

Try taking the scanner to some high locations around your area to see if you get anything. If your programming is correct there should be some reception in your area and you may just be in a poor location.

You can also select ANALYZE from the menu to check signal quality. With the scanner stopped on the CNYICC Favorite, select ANALYZE then SYSTEM STATUS. When it says Input System Name just push the volume knob and it should fill in the name. The select the Oneida site (or other site you wish to check). If there is any signal present you should see strength indicated by the "S" bars. The Q will indicate Quality and A activity and it should show the System and Site ID.

ANALYZE is a useful tool when having reception problems with a new system.

NOTE - my original response mentioned the Remtronix antenna but I forgot Oneida is VHF so that was not appropriate.

Last edited:

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
ya I think i am just to far away from it and maybe i am in a bad location to hear it as mountains could be blocking the signal to me

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
this also kind of isn't good if i can't pick up that CNY system and also i don't have no way to upgrade DMR NXDN or ProVoice into my radio :( so i am going to be limted on what i can do with it

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
Ya i think the reason is i am not even in the red circle and the only way you can hear is if I was right inside the circle of the listening area then i would hear it but i won't hear it as it shows it's 15 miles inside the circle and if a person is outside of that 15 mile range outside the circle you won't hear nothing

k2hz

Database Admin
Those circles really don't mean anything for actual system coverage. The Analyze tool is worth trying with your scanner at different locations that might give better reception.

ProVoice is of no value in your area but DMR could be worthwhile. Mobiletech NXDN covers your area but may not be of interest since it is only school bus systems in your area. Why do you think you have "no way to upgrade"?

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
Those circles really don't mean anything for actual system coverage. The Analyze tool is worth trying with your scanner at different locations that might give better reception.

ProVoice is of no value in your area but DMR could be worthwhile. Mobiletech NXDN covers your area but may not be of interest since it is only school bus systems in your area. Why do you think you have "no way to upgrade"?

I don't have a credit card but i would like at least DMR and NXDN I do have 150 bucks if someone could help get me the keys for DMR and NXDN and i can pay the money to who ever would help me with it

k2hz

Database Admin
Get the upgrade directly from my.uniden.com. You register your scanner and then select and pay for the upgrade and they send you a "key" to enter to unlock the feature on your scanner. You go to Settings and Upgrade and then enter the key for the particular upgrade and you are all set!