• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Centralia, PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I have no idea what the equipment is in the second picture. it was on a dirt road (if you could call it that) that I would not attempt with a car.

about the only people we saw were doing the same thing we were except for one lady who was hanging up clothes. if it were me, I would just lay them on the ground...they would dry quicker.

when we were walking on the "road", you could feel the heat coming from the cracks.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

Being quite familiar with the case thanks to an uncle who was a foreman at the Glen Burnie Mine I can tell you that it's been burning since long before you were born unless you're about a hundred years old. It started in a bank near the city of Shamokin and follows the coal seam underground which just happens to be one of the greatest in North America. This thing will still be burning when your grandchildren are born.

That is monitoring and telemetry equipment, the government keeps a careful watch on such hazardous conditions, especially one spreading and creeping underground. Centralia isn't the only place it appears above ground, it's a very big fire and I have seen vents near the mine up close and personal that look volcanic complete with fire and brimstone. That's not simply a Biblical description of Hell, brimstone is an ancient name for vapor deposited crystaline sulfur.

It's best to heed the sign, those sulfurous gasses ARE POISONOUS and can kill you before you know it, you probably know all about carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide and the worst of all, hydrogen sulfide. They're not kidding, the ground CAN open under you and plunge you into the fire, it has happened to houses, it can happen to you!

I can't stress it enough, the town of Centralia Pennsylvania no longer exists and the area is NOT a tourist attraction.

PJH

Global Database Admin
Database Admin
The fire has only been burning since 1962.

It was started by burning a pile of garbage near a coal seam which caught. They thought they had it under control once, stopped the efforts but it kept going. The town has just a handful of residents that refuse to leave. As the people move or die off or sell to the state, the state comes in and demo's the house.

Nobody had any idea that it advanced so much under the town until 1981 when a hole opened up under a kid, even though they had monitoring equipment nearby.

I live not tooooo far from the site but yet to visit it. Its been on my list for some time.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
kb2vxa said:
Hi all,

Being quite familiar with the case thanks to an uncle who was a foreman at the Glen Burnie Mine I can tell you that it's been burning since long before you were born unless you're about a hundred years old. It started in a bank near the city of Shamokin and follows the coal seam underground which just happens to be one of the greatest in North America. This thing will still be burning when your grandchildren are born.

That is monitoring and telemetry equipment, the government keeps a careful watch on such hazardous conditions, especially one spreading and creeping underground. Centralia isn't the only place it appears above ground, it's a very big fire and I have seen vents near the mine up close and personal that look volcanic complete with fire and brimstone. That's not simply a Biblical description of Hell, brimstone is an ancient name for vapor deposited crystaline sulfur.

It's best to heed the sign, those sulfurous gasses ARE POISONOUS and can kill you before you know it, you probably know all about carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide and the worst of all, hydrogen sulfide. They're not kidding, the ground CAN open under you and plunge you into the fire, it has happened to houses, it can happen to you!

I can't stress it enough, the town of Centralia Pennsylvania no longer exists and the area is NOT a tourist attraction.
I figured the equipment was for something like that. I thought it look pretty cool. there was another site like that but beside a house. as for the gases and the ground opening up to swollow us up, it didn't happen and we're still here. we figured if there are a few people still alive and you can drive though the town seeing from the road the gases coming up, we'd be OK. if it were REALLY bad, they would have put up tall fences (no, not to keep the gases in) and closed the roads for miles around.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
we've been wanting to go for a few months and just had a chance. not really a lot to see. there probably is more then what we saw. we went down a few really bad "roads" that seems to keep going but we thought it would be best to go back. like I said in my first post...it's a little creepy. you can see where houses used to be and roads are overgrown.

Status
Not open for further replies.