CERT Training Class In Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be a CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) training class in Louisville.

The class consists of one 2 1/2 hr (Friday) session and two
8 hr Saturday sessions. The Dates are:
Friday August 8th, 7PM at the American Red Cross Building
510 East Chestnut St., Louisville.
Saturday August 16th and 30th at the Middletown Fire Department
Station 2 and the training facility. Details for this part of the training
(including more exact location info) will come later.

For more info regarding CERT go to https://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/
To sign up call John Hesse K4JWH @ (502) 263-7829 space is limited.
Due to the difficulty in obtaining instructors/materials/training sites, there
is no plan to hold a class at a later date.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
I recommend CERT training for everyone.... Knowing some of the stuff, even if you never use it, will make life a lot more interesting listening to the scanner or watching the news....
For example, you'll learn what really went wrong with KATRINA response, among other things....

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
For example, you'll learn what really went wrong with KATRINA response, among other things....

CERT trains people on how to use school buses to move people? :twisted:

Yeah, if it was around me I would likely take it just to see if I can pick up anything new. I have taken enough classes over the years as a yearly requirement, so one more class that reinforces the basics would never be a bad idea.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
They are really good classes, the ones I attended in Woodford County were well planned, well taught by the Woodford Health Department and Versailles Fire Department (and agencies) and, as always, I learned something....

Well the first session went good and I left with a CERT manual half the size of the yellow pages. Next week's session will get hands-on, one of the first parts being a challenge to lift a 3400 lb concrete block off of a dummy.Next week we will also be issued our CERT gear.

OK, 2 out of 3 complete. This time we met at the Middletown FD station 2 and spent 3/4 of the day doing classroom work before moving to the MFD training center for hands-on work.Once we arrived at the training center we were given a Louisville METRO CERT helmet, safety glasses and work gloves and told to meet at the cribing trailer in the middle of the training lot.We loaded cribing into a truck, took it to the end of the lot and proceeded to lift a 3400 lb block of concrete about a foot off the ground. Afterwords we did some quick building search training and called it a day. The next and final session is in 1 1/2 weeks on the 30th.One of the trainees (who is also a member of the same ham club as I am) had a digital camera and took lots of photos. I'll post them as soon as I can get them.73

Here are some photos from the CERT training session at the Middletown (KY) Fire Department Training center on Aug. 16. We learned lifting and cribbing skills and used them to lift a 3400 lb block of cement 1 foot.I'm the BIG hairy dude in the photos.

These are only a few, if you want to see all the pics then go to www.W4CN.org and click on the "CERT Training" text.

More photos coming soon.

Last edited:
Well the class is complete. We passed the test and had fun doing it (although the 90 degree temps were not so fun).We'll get our signed certificates as soon as some final paper work is filed.I'll post a few pics asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.