Certain feeds come and go, is this normal?

RenoHuskerDu

Longtime VFD, rusty old scanner
Premium Subscriber
Howdy, I'm testing the waters with Broadcastify to decide whether to buy a scanner. I'm primarily interested in my county, Burnet TX. It's in Broadcastify feed 37983 together with Llano and Blanco Counties. But I never hear Blanco. I only hear Llano and usually Burnet.

For whatever reason, the scanner feed for Burnet seems to come and go. Sometimes it's gone for over a day. I even wondered if they encrypted. Then ... it came back. One day I even had no feeds. Just those CNN-style ads. I tried the Report Problem option on my android but it does nothing.

Should I turn this issue in via the Broadcastify web site? Or is this just the way things are when your feed is based on some other guy's scanner?

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Are you using an app to listen to this? Are you trying to listen to the calls platform or through a feed on Broadcastify?

As for ads, if you are not a premium subscriber all feeds on Broadcastify start with ads. Listening to the feed through Broadcastify that you mentioned (#37983) I'm hearing traffic, though I do not know which units they are.

Looking at the database, and listening on the calls platform I'm hearing traffic from Blanco SO dispatch and it shows a lot of calls in the stats.
Screenshot 2023-04-20 13.07.39.png

Perhaps you can post a link or screenshot to what you are trying to listen to and we can better respond to the issue you are having.

Last edited:

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Are you trying to listen to the calls platform or through a feed on Broadcastify?
I'm primarily interested in my county, Burnet TX. It's in Broadcastify feed 37983 together with Llano and Blanco Counties

Looks like this feed (37983) for Llano, Burnet, and Blanco counties:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Howdy, I'm testing the waters with Broadcastify to decide whether to buy a scanner. I'm primarily interested in my county, Burnet TX. It's in Broadcastify feed 37983 together with Llano and Blanco Counties. But I never hear Blanco. I only hear Llano and usually Burnet.

For whatever reason, the scanner feed for Burnet seems to come and go. Sometimes it's gone for over a day. I even wondered if they encrypted. Then ... it came back. One day I even had no feeds. Just those CNN-style ads. I tried the Report Problem option on my android but it does nothing.

Should I turn this issue in via the Broadcastify web site? Or is this just the way things are when your feed is based on some other guy's scanner?
Looking at the sites it's monitoring I can easily see you not always hearing Blanco County. All 4 sites are well north of the county line.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
Are you using an app to listen to this? Are you trying to listen to the calls platform or through a feed on Broadcastify?

As for ads, if you are not a premium subscriber all feeds on Broadcastify start with ads. Listening to the feed through Broadcastify that you mentioned (#37983) I'm hearing traffic, though I do not know which units they are.

Looking at the database, and listening on the calls platform I'm hearing traffic from Blanco SO dispatch and it shows a lot of calls in the stats.
View attachment 140420

Perhaps you can post a link or screenshot to what you are trying to listen to and we can better respond to the issue you are having.
I'm listening on Llano, Burnet, and Blanco County Public Safety Live Audio Feed via android

Today Burnet is there. SO dispatchers out here go by their County name to avoid confusion. Also, the LE unit numbers are different by country.

Unclear to me why you hear Blanco but I don't. Maybe you're Premium? I'm fine with not hearing them. I'm a fireman in Burnet so only that county interests me anyway. Once I get my own scanner I can choose only those talk groups.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the sites it's monitoring I can easily see you not always hearing Blanco County. All 4 sites are well north of the county line.

Are you referring to the scanner feed? I don't know who it is or where their shack is.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Howdy, I'm testing the waters with Broadcastify to decide whether to buy a scanner.
If you buy a scanner, and receive the said agencies, it's yours and will work when you want it to unless at some point the agency encrypts. With the feeds, your at the mercy of the feed provider and if there's action going on and his/her scanner takes a dump, your left with nothing to listen to.

With feeds, common issues may include, scanner lock up or getting hung up on a channel, lose of internet, loss of power computer issue or any other problems feed providers may face.

With your own scanner if a hand held, it will work during a power outage, does not need internet to listen and if it gets stuck on a channel, you have the ability to lock out the channel. My SDS200 can be run off a car battery if needed.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
If you buy a scanner, and receive the said agencies, it's yours and will work when you want it to unless at some point the agency encrypts. With the feeds, your at the mercy of the feed provider and if there's action going on and his/her scanner takes a dump, your left with nothing to listen to.

With feeds, common issues may include, scanner lock up or getting hung up on a channel, lose of internet, loss of power computer issue or any other problems feed providers may face.

With your own scanner if a hand held, it will work during a power outage, does not need internet to listen and if it gets stuck on a channel, you have the ability to lock out the channel. My SDS200 can be run off a car battery if needed.
Good points, thanks. I haven't been scanning since the Pro-2067 days. Still use a couple of those but only for 60cm here on the ranch. And yes the old 2067s do lockup at times. I finally hacked them to start scanning on power boot. They are sturdy but outdated for trunking.

Would you recommend the SDS200?

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber

View attachment 140420

You heard Blanco SO Dispatch in feed 37983? Looking at Blanco County, Texas (TX) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference I would think that the reason I don't hear them in the feed is because they are using GATRRS. Are you hearing them perhaps because you are a Premium Subscriber? I wasn't aware that is a benefit.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Now I notice that Blanco is all D, digital non encrypted. So that couldn't explain why I don't hear them. But you do.
A Blanco County unit needs to be affiliated to one of the sites that feed is monitoring (Llano North, Llano South, Kingsland or Marble Falls) for you to hear them. If no unit is affiliated you will never hear them.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber

View attachment 140420

Were you perhaps listening here? Blanco County Texas Live Audio Feeds

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
A Blanco County unit needs to be affiliated to one of the sites that feed is monitoring (Llano North, Llano South, Kingsland or Marble Falls) for you to hear them. If no unit is affiliated you will never hear them.
Is a unit a feed provider?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the link. But I don't see anything to read there. Is it an audio stream?

As for trunking, I ran PRO-2067s for some time, which is Motorola trunking as I recall and I mastered that. P25 is digital and what you call a unit would be a control channel, right?

Now I only use those 2067s for 60cm monitoring here on the ranch.