CFD airport com's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago2210

Quick question dose the CFD at Midway and Ohare every use Main
or Engelwood insted of the J radio talk group on ORD's 800 MHZ trucked system or Midway's UHF P-25 system? Please let me know thank you.

oemctx4

I have read this and I'm not sure what your asking? Well at Midway they rarely ever use that "fire" talk group. There is no connection between Midway's trunk system and OEMC. Most communications at Midway goes thru MCC. There is a link between Ohare 800 trunk system and OEMC. I live on the south side so I don't listen to Ohare radio systems often.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Quick question dose the CFD at Midway and Ohare every use Main
or Engelwood insted of the J radio talk group on ORD's 800 MHZ trucked system or Midway's UHF P-25 system? Please let me know thank you.

@Midway...yes we do. As oemc stated, their is no direct link between the MCC and the OEMC. Over the past 6 months, we've have been told to use the CFD Talkgroup at Midway as our primary channel to talk to the MCC. We have an 0845 Hrs. radio check each morning too. All appartus have the capabilities to speak on the Fire channels.

oemctx4

Ok, Good to know I have to admit that is been some time since I have listened to Midway's system there is onlt so much time in the day. I've heard some radio checks on Admin around the time of the daily CFD radio test from airport radio signatures.
Don

Chicago2210

What about "aircraft stand-by's"? Do they use Main/Engelwood in addition to the trunk systems?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
What about "aircraft stand-by's"? Do they use Main/Engelwood in addition to the trunk systems?

@ O'Hare...Batt. 6 calls Main to request "a box and a plan" for their stand-by/emergency/crash alerts. The OCC (O'Hare Communications Center) Trunking system is used too. They normally use Fireground on the field.

@Midway...Batt. 16 does the same as Batt. 6 "if in quarters". Usually Fireground is used too, but the Midway Trunking System "CFD Fire" Channel is used too.

With the new and upcoming conversion from VHF to UHF, they're will be a wider array of channels to use, so Firegound may or may not be used the same as it is now.

Chicago2210

Don't the rigs at the airport have aviation band radios in them? And are these used to communicate with the tower during aircraft stand-by's? Thanks

Chicago2210

@ O'Hare...Batt. 6 calls Main to request "a box and a plan" for their stand-by/emergency/crash alerts. The OCC (O'Hare Communications Center) Trunking system is used too. They normally use Fireground on the field.

@Midway...Batt. 16 does the same as Batt. 6 "if in quarters". Usually Fireground is used too, but the Midway Trunking System "CFD Fire" Channel is used too.

With the new and upcoming conversion from VHF to UHF, they're will be a wider array of channels to use, so Firegound may or may not be used the same as it is now.

Have you ever been stationed at the fire houses @ ORD or MDW? If so how common are aircraft emergencies? I've caught several of them on my scanner and they seem to happen several time a month.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Have you ever been stationed at the fire houses @ ORD or MDW? If so how common are aircraft emergencies? I've caught several of them on my scanner and they seem to happen several time a month.

Yes...and O'Hare is almost a daily occurence, Midway is less often.

Chicago2210

I have noticed that @ ORD whenever companies are responding they say, "engine 127 crossing Mannheim," why do they do this? Thank yo

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber
When is the next disaster drill scheduled? They are usually the best time to see/update talkgroups in use. Wondering if O'hare's 800 trunked system will ever transition over to the new P25 UHF T band just like much of the airfield operations already have. Brooms, Sanders, Salters, plows, snow units and Vamma's are now on this system and no longer on the city 800 MHz system.

Status
Not open for further replies.