CFD Apparatus status discussion (Non-Radio Information)

Pierce mfg has revealed a photo of CFDs new Volterra on their Instagram page and I gotta say it looks amazing. I would try upload a screenshot but this website won't allow me to do so on mobile.
Gotta say, it looks a lot like an FDNY engine, low roof profile, intake on the bumper, Q siren, large side mount controls. All it needs is a couple of hard suction on the driver side. (That Canada flag on the front is an added bonus too)

All in all really love how the rig came out, be interesting to here what the firefighters think

255-Jacobs

It gave me that FDNY vibe! The rig honestly looks amazing. The CFD decals, the Canada flag, the Q on the bumper. Looks like this engine has a side mount pump which is something new for CFD firefighters who are used to top mounts. All in all, really great rig. Should arrive in the city next week after it's done at the conference and I expect it to go onto service late June or early July after everyone is trained for it. Let's see if the rumor was true and it will go to Station 5.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Side mount pump too, I really hope CFD sticks with the TME style of Engine, though side mount might be cheaper on a custom chassis?

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
TME - What's that?
Top Mount Enclosed - so the pump panel is located on the top of the truck and enclosed. There’s really on top, side mount and rear. Front mount pumps are pretty rare these days

The reason I talk about the cost is because I read this article about Moose Jaw, Sask new commercial Pumper coming in around 1.2 Million dollars. MJFD wanted a top mount enclosed pump panel on a commercial chassis verses a custom chassis, but the top mount part was apparently $600,000. I don’t know if a company like Pierce would bring the cost down seeing as they make their own chassis. I’ll have to talk to a salesman!

Here is the MJFD article: Moose Jaw's new pumper truck to cost almost $900K

JABoomer

The CFD seemed to be nicely standardized, now they're trying a lot of things apparatus wise. Interesting. I guess that's progress before the next round of standardization.

Top Mount Enclosed - so the pump panel is located on the top of the truck and enclosed. There’s really on top, side mount and rear. Front mount pumps are pretty rare these days
Yes, I honestly think the TME is the optimal arrangement for an engine. I know a lot of FFs don't like that the engineer gets to stay warm and dry, but the layout lends itself to the most efficient use of space IMO.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Gives everyone a place to warm up/stand up and change too if need be.

I was looking more at the specs of the new electric Engine. It comes with a Waterous CMU 2 stage 1500gpm pump which is what CFD is using right now in all of the Smeal Engines. So there shouldn’t be a ton of difference in operating the pump from the Smeals (but we also cannot see the pump panel in the picture, probably less levers.. 😂)

Out of all the electric engines on the market right now between Pierce, E-One and Rosenbauer this might be the first one with a 2 stage pump?

Glad to see a Q siren on it too!

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Lit up like LA’s and Vancouver’s Rosenbauers!
But less hate then the Rosenbauers lol

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
They Alberta Fire Chiefs convention is being held downtown at the BMO Centre this weekend. I don't know the cost of getting in or anything but the new Pierce Electric Engine is there. Some pictures of it are on Facebook, but no good/detailed ones.

Looks like a completely different body/compartment configuration set up then the current Engines and all discharges on the pump panel are on the officers side, but again, I can't tell.

255-Jacobs

Does anyone know if this Volterra is still on a lease? I find it odd that Pierce would fully decal a lease model if it's coming back to them. Unless CFD decided to actually fully purchase it. Explains the decals, which also look really nice.

255-Jacobs

I wonder why CFD is starting to go towards 2 bay stations now. 14, 28, and 29 are all 2 bay halls but they were built ages ago. Newer halls such as 42 and 45 are 2 bay halls, 38 will be 2 bay and I heard something about new Station 1 being two bay. I don't know if it's going to start becoming the norm or if it's just because CFD Brass doesn't have any plans for stacking these halls with more than CFD apparatus.

I wonder why CFD is starting to go towards 2 bay stations now. 14, 28, and 29 are all 2 bay halls but they were built ages ago. Newer halls such as 42 and 45 are 2 bay halls, 38 will be 2 bay and I heard something about new Station 1 being two bay. I don't know if it's going to start becoming the norm or if it's just because CFD Brass doesn't have any plans for stacking these halls with more than CFD apparatus.
It's a 2 point system that the CFD is starting and building their newer stations on.

1) Resources. Halls like 8 or 34 are starting to phase out. Apparently, they are starting to go towards resources split up, instead of having "stacked halls" (3+ units). Especially with Ladder-Rescue swap, they want fewer halls with 4+ bays and fewer halls with only a single bay.

2) Station footprint. They want less "Fire Stations" and more collective buildings. IE apartment building (6/17), community hubs (42/10/43/30) or the Multi Service, (8,26,31,32,34). So having the fewer bays, they give more space up for those other buildings.

On another note, the plans for 17 Station show it's going to be 5 bays, and all folding bay doors. Be interesting to see the practicality of folding doors, as they may save time. But also love how 17 is breaking the mold and putting so many bays in one hall. I would imagine with the new hall comes a rig swap too.

JABoomer

Props to the CFD, who said they would honour (assuming no present emergencies) the parent council request at my daughter's school to bring an apparatus out to their community festival tonight. It will be coming from 17, hopefully it's not the bush buggy, haha!

Last edited:

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
17 is going to look beautiful when it's finished, 5 bays wide but only 1 bay deep. It will be a massive station with what looks like a super long apron

The design for Station 3 was updated, construction is possible to start in Q2 2025 - Inglewood Station

Hopefully 17 Engine and maybe the Ladder or Hazmat will come to your event JABoomer!

JABoomer

Success! They sent the ladder and the engine, but due to some bad street parking by some cars, the ladder couldn't maneuver into the parking area. 17 Engine crew was fantastic and stayed for over two hours interacting with everyone. They were very popular with the kids and dads, haha.

Screenshot_20240531-203441_Gallery.jpg