CFD Apparatus status

Ghostpolice24

YYC Filmer
Great perspective! Thanks.

How about the rat-rail? How often does it get utilized?

Also, does anyone have a picture, I'm not sure if it's more if a hand cart versus CPR truck?
Probably less given its still lime green and sitting in a yard at 16.

ENGINE_4

The parkade truck...

How often does it get used?

How much of an advantage is it versus an engine with hand lines (dealing with a fire in a parkade)?

It's one of the oldest front line apparatus in the city, do you think they will replace it or retire it without replacement?

Like Ghostpolice24 said, the Parkade Truck only goes out once or twice a year and only on parkade fires or special calls. One of they advantages is that it can bring hose, pump, tools closer to the scene.. it has foam on it too. But having the truck in a confined space with lots of smoke would have its disadvantages.. I highly doubt it will be replaced and i'm surprised its not used as a bush buggy. CFD could use another bush buggy lol

ENGINE_4

The Rail-rat was supposedly replaced in 2010 with CP Rail cart. I haven't seen it and I don't know where it is. But I have heard with the new Green Line starting up CFD tech teams will be ramping up training on underground c-train rescues so the cart would be vital to have

Ghostpolice24

YYC Filmer
That's the parkade, aka the former Red 5.

I haven't seen the RAT in at least 20 years. I think it's a little metal box which might have a motor. It's definitely not a hi-rail truck like a railroad would have.
It.s a trailer that a truck tows. Runs a very old motor. It's lime green and was at 11 when I got the tour back then. It has not been replaced as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

Ghostpolice24

YYC Filmer
CFD could use another bush buggy lol
That would be an ideal thing. But at that rate, if they did put up another Bush Buggy, they would just retire the Parkade and use one of the spares as the main Bush Buggy. Or, put the parkade as a spare Bush Buggy too,[either or].

JABoomer

That would be an ideal thing. But at that rate, if they did put up another Bush Buggy, they would just retire the Parkade and use one of the spares as the main Bush Buggy. Or, put the parkade as a spare Bush Buggy too,[either or].
What's the primary purpose of the Bush Buggies? Grass fires? I'm guessing even for small (dumpster) fires or medical calls, the Engine is still first out.

StampedeCityStringer

Photojournalist
Premium Subscriber
What's the primary purpose of the Bush Buggies? Grass fires? I'm guessing even for small (dumpster) fires or medical calls, the Engine is still first out.
Bush buggies are primarily for grass/wildland fires, they are 4x4 and carry specific equipment for these incidents. However, they also help out with medical calls where the patient is "off the beaten path" so to speak.

Being a smaller footprint, they can drive down some of the main paths in the parks to get crews closer to a patient and then drive the patient out.

I've heard them assist with medical calls in Fish Creek Park and Nose Hill Park. All the bush buggies are cross-staff, usually to an aerial, so when the bush buggy is needed, the aerial (or similar) crew will take it as long as they are in the station.

JABoomer

What would your ideal apparatus fleet be for a fire department about the size of Calgary's (say 40 stations)? I'd go with:

-40 engines
-12 aerials (4 single-axle 100' ladders, 4 100' platforms - something like the King Cobra, and 4 134' Bronto platforms)
-5 rescues
-4 HAZMATs
-4 interface engines (something like the Timberwolf)
-3 industrial pumpers/tankers (3,000 gal. tank with a large capacity monitor on top - serving both the wildland tanker and the industrial pumper role)
-3 air/light
-2 squad/water rescues (smaller units, say on a 5500 chassis)
-2 fire support (carries salvage materials, tools, fans, etc.)
-2 FRP/RAC
-1 rescue support (carries specialized equipment and the bulk rescue items)
-1 HAZMAT support (carries additional equipment, decontamination supplies, and transports collected materials)
-1 command post

Obviously I haven't accounted for spare apparatus.

RP201

Hello, I just moved to Calgary about 18 months ago. I have been following this thread for sometime. I think it's great!

CFD is a very interesting department compared to what you can see across North America. I look forward to further posts!

One question, does every CFD Engine carry a combi tool?

Thanks

Cochrane_Fire_Buff

Bow Valley Fire Buffing
What would your ideal apparatus fleet be for a fire department about the size of Calgary's (say 40 stations)? I'd go with:

-40 engines
-12 aerials (4 single-axle 100' ladders, 4 100' platforms - something like the King Cobra, and 4 134' Bronto platforms)
-5 rescues
-4 HAZMATs
-4 interface engines (something like the Timberwolf)
-3 industrial pumpers/tankers (3,000 gal. tank with a large capacity monitor on top - serving both the wildland tanker and the industrial pumper role)
-3 air/light
-2 squad/water rescues (smaller units, say on a 5500 chassis)
-2 fire support (carries salvage materials, tools, fans, etc.)
-2 FRP/RAC
-1 rescue support (carries specialized equipment and the bulk rescue items)
-1 HAZMAT support (carries additional equipment, decontamination supplies, and transports collected materials)
-1 command post

Obviously I haven't accounted for spare apparatus.

Honestly, I feel like CFD is doing pretty ok apparatus-wise in terms of WHAT they have. Now staffing and age of the vehicles are a different story, haha. One thing I do feel that CFD should do if funding ever comes around (which I doubt it will), is adopt Edmonton's style of Tankers. Having the ability to operate as a pumper but have that extra water supply for fires that may not have hydrants in the area.

Not an informed thought, just my two cents.

Thought you might find this of interest...The pump in the back of Parkade Truck 2.

52004878804_213cdb577a_k.jpg

ENGINE_4

Hello, I just moved to Calgary about 18 months ago. I have been following this thread for sometime. I think it's great!

CFD is a very interesting department compared to what you can see across North America. I look forward to further posts!

One question, does every CFD Engine carry a combi tool?

Thanks
Welcome RP201! Yes, every CFD Engine and Quint has a combi tool. Eventually (if CFD hasn't already begun doing so) an electric combi tool will replace the current set up

RP201

Thanks for the welcome! That is interesting considering the number of Rescue units in the city.

Do you think CFD has considered Rescue Engines or Rescue Ladders? I know Toronto has had great success with rescue pumps, reducing the number of Heavy Rescues in the city, and adding more ladders.
A FF friend of mine in Ottawa was telling me about a study, turning Quints into rescue ladders, apparently suppression equipment on one side and rescue gear on the opposite. I don't know if it went anywhere, but it's an interesting concept. I wonder if CFD would ever consider something like that?

ENGINE_4

Hard to say what CFD will do, they do seem to be moving away from the Quint concept so we could see Rescue Ladders coming in the future. I personally would like to see Rescue Engines but the future is up to CFD brass. I believe some sort of pump to population ratio (or something to that effect) has to play into the mix. The current Quint Aerials in Calgary are set up like Engines, so essentially 10? pumps have to or should be made up somewhere. CFD did just get 6 new Engines for growth though. The Tech Rescues will be staying for sure. Will have to see what happens when these new Pierce rear-mount Tower Ladders and dry Aerials come into service. The SVI Rescues are pretty new.. but their is nothing saying you can't sell newish fire trucks and replace them

RP201

It always comes down to the all mighty dollar... The union is pushing for four person crews, which is a great idea. More boots on the ground at a scene is always better. How many staff on a Hazmat?

Hazmat 39 at a job

Attachments

• Haz39.jpg
    Haz39.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

JABoomer

The rescue/ladder is interesting. I'd imagine much of the typical tools carried by an aerial (for forced entry and ventilation) are useful for rescue operations too.

But if you loose the water tank and pump on the ladder, now you're reliant on an engine to put water on fire.

There's no doubt that apparatus design as well as fire fleet planning are a series of compromises.

I really like the engine having limited medical and rescue gear, so it can handle the majority of call-outs.

RP201

Traditional firefighting, Engine puts the cold stuff on the hot stuff, and truck companies look after forcible entry, overhaul, search & rescue, access, and extrication. The truck would carry a ton of equipment. Montreal does not have a single quint to my knowledge, and they run a pile of ladders.

Does anyone know what NFPA recommends for Engine to population ratio?