CFD Apparatus status

RP201

Hi, I drove by 45 today. It looks like it might be ready by June. They still need to clad the exterior and of course landscape around it. It looks like a small station. The city is also going to have to relocate a lamp post out front and cut the sidewalk to accommodate the ramp.

I have a question, has CFD ever considered numbering the second engine “B”? For example, Engine 1A and Engine 1B, or E12A and E12B.
The way the city is growing, I expect station 46 will be right around the corner.

Hazmat 39 is running a spare today.

255-Jacobs

Premium Subscriber
It used to be like that, sort of. Engine 49 used to be Pump 2A, Engine 48 was Pump 10A, 46 was 12A I believe. The way the city is going there may be a station 46 and I guess the current 46E might just be re-numbered. Maybe one day we can see the return of Engine 61.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
About 10-15 years ago there were two different numbering schemes tried out.

The dual engine halls had the second engine get the suffix A, as @255-Jacobs mentions. Then, for a time, the dual engine halls had both trucks renumbered, labeled Engine 10-01, Engine 10-02, and similar for the other halls. Ultimately it became what you see now.

255-Jacobs

Premium Subscriber
Weren't the secondary engines at dual engine halls called Squads at one point? I think 48E used to be called Squad 10 before being renamed and reassigned to Station 1.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Weren't the secondary engines at dual engine halls called Squads at one point? I think 48E used to be called Squad 10 before being renamed and reassigned to Station 1.
They were squads for decades and the only trucks that would move to other stations to cover gaps. I think a good long time back there were four of them, but one got dropped in the 90s or early 00s. I can't remember them for certain, but there used to be 08SQ, 12SQ, 16SQ, and I think 8 moved to 10. It may even be that 8 & 17 both had squads until 17 was dropped and that's when 8 moved to 10.

RP201

That is interesting. Did the squads have extra equipment or extra capabilities? Many squads are rescue pumps or in some cases enhanced engines with various profiles like hazmat assessment or tech rescue.

I remember 61E when I moved to Ogden, I was encouraged to see a dual engine house in my community, then it was gone.

Jay911

Feed Provider
The only difference between the squads and engines (or pumps, depending on the era) was a name, to the best of my knowledge.

ENGINE_4

A picture of one of the new 107' RM Pierce Enforcer Aerials is up on Facebook's Canadian Fire and EMS group's page (no pictures yet on Pierce's website) I think this is the first of four of the original order of new Aerials. They all have Electric EQ2B's as well!!

All of the Quints will be replaced eventually and additional Aerials are coming in as well. These first 4 trucks should be replacing Aerial 1 and the 3 07/08 stock spares. I have not seen any of the Tower's in the city, but they should be here and soon to be in service.

255-Jacobs

Premium Subscriber
Saw the photo last night. They look amazing! Nice to see CFD starting to move along and get some new Ladder Towers. There should be 3 Stick Ladders and 3 Towers. A FF from 18E told me that the Towers are currently sitting at the Academy to get everyone trained on them.

I'm sure the 107 RM's will be there eventually. Nice to see the 107's have EQ's. I thought CFD would never go back to EQs. If anyone is interested the towers have the same siren every other truck uses. I wonder what CFD will order next to replace the Aerial fleet.

ENGINE_4

I'm sure the 107 RM's will be there eventually. Nice to see the 107's have EQ's. I thought CFD would never go back to EQs. If anyone is interested the towers have the same siren every other truck uses. I wonder what CFD will order next to replace the Aerial fleet.
I think the Towers have 2 different sirens on them - the Pictures show the EQ or possibly a Q on the drivers side on the front bumper, but those look like PA sirens in the middle of the front bumper - does anyone know more about sirens?
CFD will probably order more of the same 107' RM's, they want to standardize the fleet and and go back to dry Aerials (no pump or tank) keep everything the same for training/familiarity and maintenance

RP201

The sirens on the left side of the bumper definitely looks like a mechanical Q. Nothing blows through traffic like a Q. These new sticks look very nice.

ENGINE_4

I heard Engine 45 on the air @ 23 Station, the crew said later on they were "returning to 45 station" I'm thinking they have a trailer set up in the East hills shopping area?

RP201

That’s interesting, I was at East Hills last week and didn’t see anything. Someone suggested they might be running out of the training centre.

Might be worth a drive.

255-Jacobs

Premium Subscriber
I theorized that 45E gets 12E's main which is at the academy last I checked. Maybe they do have a trailer.

ENGINE_4

I took a drive through East Hills/Belvedere, I didn't see any sort of temp station set up. It would make the most sense and probably the cheapest solution for Engine 45 to operate out of the training academy until Station 45 is built

255-Jacobs

Premium Subscriber
So that has to mean that 45E (Using 12E's main) is running out of the academy. Guess that means 12E might get one of the 3 2021 engines CFD still has lying around.