CFD Apparatus status

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Are we talking straight stick dry Aerials or straight stick dry Tower ladders?

Also, the bush buggies run a lot of calls and even a lot of training stuff. It would be nice to see more bush buggies in service and spread out the booked down Aerial time but it comes down to cost. The 2 spares are 20 years old and they cover as spares for aquatic units too.. I could see CFD replacing the 2010’s and having 3 spares available. But with the cost of the new Tower’s coming in I don’t think there’s much left in the equipment/life cycle budget right now. But these things change

JABoomer

Originally the Special Events truck was a newer style (trial) mini pumper. It served as Engine 36 back in 2006. CFD was trying out mini-pumper/snuffer (CAFS) units to see if they could replaced bigger Engines. It failed.
CFD then moved the truck to Station 13 and it served as more of a bush buggy out of 13 on the city side for it bit..
Is there a difference between a mini-pumper and a bush buggy?
Does a mini-pumper have some Rescue/Medic equipment that a bush buggy doesn't, or does the bush buggy have more all-terrain features than a mini-pumper?
Curious if there is a difference or if there are more or less interchangeable designations.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
I think it was actually around 2004 that the mini pumper was in service. I’ll do some research and post it here between CFD bush buggies and the mini pump, but search the first few pages of this forum too. I know there’s info on it in the beginning somewhere.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Ok, after much searching I cannot find what I'm looking for, so I am improvising - attached are 2 pictures - 1 of the original "Rapid Response 3" and 1 of the truck in it's older "Bush Buggy" configuration (I believe they are from Jay_911 but I'm not completely sure, so credit to the photographer). Being that the truck is labelled "TR 1700" I assume the rapid response program ran from the year 2000 on until maybe 2001-02? that's a guess, but I don't imagine it lasted long..

This is a link to Hub fire truck's website Salmo — HUB Fire Engines - RR3 was similarly designed to the truck displayed here -notice the pump set-up! I can't find the other pictures I am looking for with regards to the pump set-up and model but it is similar.

Long story short, from what I recall (and if you have more info PLEASE chime in) CFD ran RR3 out of Station 36 (Used to be called Station 3 in Hidden Valley) as then a front line pumper - with 4 ff's. They responded once or twice on a house fire first due and simply didn't have enough pump capacity to knock the fire down let alone put a second line into operation (I don't remember if the pump they had could even run a second hand line) Regardless, a second Engine arrived (along with the rest of the first alarm) more lines were stretched and the fire was knocked down.

The big picture thinking of CFD at the time was maybe they could replace big front-line Engines with these smaller snuffer/mini-pumper style trucks, but they could not. They tried the same things with the Rescues - using a smaller mini-rescue from SVI, same thing. Just couldn't carry all the equipment and get the job done.

Anyways, from there RR3 was turned into a Bush Buggy (second picture) things were changed on the truck and it served all over the city from 8 Station to 13 Station and so on.. eventually the pump and tank were removed or at least the pump was and was replaced for a Rosenbauer UHPS Pump (what's on the current 2010/15 BB's) (That pump and tank are removable keep in mind) from there it served as an Medical Response Unit to today were it is the "Special Events Truck" - likely until its retired.

In theory (at least how I see it) it's essentially a spare Bush Buggy but the pump/tank can be removed (like the 2010/15's) and it can serve as a mini-rescue or whatever else its needed for.

I hope this answers your question JABoomer 😅

Attachments

• RR3.jpg
    RR3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 22
  • RR3B.jpg
    RR3B.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 22

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Is there a difference between a mini-pumper and a bush buggy?
Does a mini-pumper have some Rescue/Medic equipment that a bush buggy doesn't, or does the bush buggy have more all-terrain features than a mini-pumper?
Curious if there is a difference or if there are more or less interchangeable designations.
In CFD terms - the mini-pumper was a mini Engine. I don't think it was designed to go off road to much and had a minimal amount of hose, hand tools, medical equip, etc.. it might have carried a multi tool like CFD Engines do today, but you'll have to ask that question to someone with more knowledge about the Rapid Response program

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
JABoomer, just doing some more research about the rapid response unit - sorry it’s not considered a “mini-pumper” it’s purely a Snuffer truck - CAFS - Compressed Air Foam Systems - Fire247
This is a link to learn a bit more about Snuffer/CAFS pumps and you can get an idea about what kind of pump might have been in the rapid response unit at some point

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the shops there are 2 to 4 of the 9 - 2021 Smeal Engines getting outfitted and ready for deployment. We could see some Engine shuffles coming up in the next few days-weeks. Some downtown Engines could be moved to out lying areas potentially. Engines: 15,20,27,34,35,38,43,44 and 60? are all still running 2010's at the moment

Cochrane_Fire_Buff

Bow Valley Fire Buffing
Might have been a rescue shuffle at Station 27. Was there the other day and believe I saw one of the 2018 rescues there instead of the 2011 one listed on fire wiki.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Yes, Post 1,243 - page 63. I put up a picture when R0311 was running as 31 Rescue in 2019. It took me quite sometime to figure out CFD re-decaled R0311 ;) - CFD Apparatus status

Speaking of Rescue 27, does anyone know if they were covering for Engine 18 when the second alarm fire occurred in Beddington today? Looks like Engine 36 made it in as the first Engine on scene and plugged the hydrant out front. 18 was on scene but maybe made it in on the second alarm? If this is the case, it is really sad to see just how thin CFD has been stretched up until now

Cochrane_Fire_Buff

Bow Valley Fire Buffing
I believe I might've been on to something about a Rescue shuffle. Appears to be that 27 Rescue (R0311) is now at Station 11. So I might've been right about seeing a 2018 Rescue at Station 27 a week or two ago.

Now if this can be confirmed by anyone here I guess all we need to figure out is what is now at Station 27 and where did Station 11s old rescue (R0811) go?

(From Chef McToasts video on youtube)
Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 11.44.26 AM.png

Squad51

Premium Subscriber
I photographed R-27 on Sept 27 and it was "their" regular unit. A 2011 version.

Squad51

Premium Subscriber
I believe I might've been on to something about a Rescue shuffle. Appears to be that 27 Rescue (R0311) is now at Station 11. So I might've been right about seeing a 2018 Rescue at Station 27 a week or two ago.

Now if this can be confirmed by anyone here I guess all we need to figure out is what is now at Station 27 and where did Station 11s old rescue (R0811) go?

(From Chef McToasts video on youtube)
View attachment 110693
It could be a reserve unit and the heavy rescue is at the shop?

Cochrane_Fire_Buff

Bow Valley Fire Buffing
It could be a reserve unit and the heavy rescue is at the shop?

Could be R0411. It’s the only other 2011 Rescue they have. Otherwise all their other reserve Rescues don’t have the Canadian flag decals on the upper LRT of the box.

If the Tech Rescue moved from 11, that'd mean the Tech Support did too, right?

I don’t think the whole Tech Rescue Team would’ve moved if my hunch is correct. 10 and 11 station are in strategic locations so there would have to be a good reason to move them. My guess is that they might’ve just switched trucks as a Tech Rescue member was telling me that their tandem Rescue is looking to be replaced fairly soon.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
R0411 could have gotten re-decaled recently when the new Engines got there’s. R0811 will not fit in 27. Trucks barely fit in 27 😂