CFD Apparatus status

Ghostpolice24

YYC Filmer
Station 45 In Belvedere (East Calgary) is supposed to be operational in Q4 2022 (Oct,Nov,Dec) At least that's what it says here on page 6, bottom right - https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=169000

I've driven around but I haven't found where this station will be located. I'm thinking it will be a pop-up station like station 43 in Waldon. Anyone have anymore info?
I was told it'll be made just by the first stretch of houses nearest to the East Hills Plaza and 17th Ave SE. Aside from that, no further info.

RP201

Station 45 In Belvedere (East Calgary) is supposed to be operational in Q4 2022 (Oct,Nov,Dec) At least that's what it says here on page 6, bottom right - https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=169000

I've driven around but I haven't found where this station will be located. I'm thinking it will be a pop-up station like station 43 in Waldon. Anyone have anymore info?

This is a quote from the 2021 annual report; As of January 2022, the CFD does not anticipate any new stations to open during the upcoming year, however, Belvedere Temporary Response Station No. 45, located within the East Hills Shopping Centre, is slated to be opened and operational in the first half of 2023.

I guess the new station 1 & 3 might happen in 2023/24.

ENGINE_4

Apparatus moves so far this month - Engine 23 has a new 2021 Smeal, there truck has moved to 34. Old 34 Engine is in the Spare fleet

looks like Rocky view county has put there new Ferrara Engine in service. Its running out of headquarters near Cross Irons mall

ENGINE_4

I thought I saw it in a news video a few days ago that I conveniently now cannot find. A Engine and Tender 107 were on scene on a MVC on the QE2 near Cross irons. The truck looked like a brand new Spartan/Ferrara FC-94, Safetek said this was a 180 day build truck, but things change. DO you know when it will be delivered?

Cochrane_Fire_Buff

Bow Valley Fire Buffing
I thought I saw it in a news video a few days ago that I conveniently now cannot find. A Engine and Tender 107 were on scene on a MVC on the QE2 near Cross irons. The truck looked like a brand new Spartan/Ferrara FC-94, Safetek said this was a 180 day build truck, but things change. DO you know when it will be delivered?

Safetek was wrong. Those 180 day build trucks are another topic, but from my connection who's at 107 he said it hasn't even gotten to Safetek yet.

RP201

This came across my Facebook news feed.

CFD is looking for hi rail system to respond/shuttle equipment into the deep tunnel that’s going to run under the Bow River as part of the Green Line construction project.

Calgary (Canada) Fire Department Gets $4.2M for Vehicles, Equipment for Underground Tunnel Emergencies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm interested to see what they do, if they actually do outfit something with a hirailer. I saw a NJ Port Authority heavy rescue with hirailers a couple of weeks ago online, looked weird on a truck that size.

StampedeCityStringer

Photojournalist
Premium Subscriber
I've heard from a source that the first new Pierce aerials will be arriving in March/April, so keep an eye out.

Along with that, I've been told that CFD will be moving away from the "aerial" designation and will be moving to "Platform" and "Ladder," this change will supposedly be happening imminently.

RP201

I've heard from a source that the first new Pierce aerials will be arriving in March/April, so keep an eye out.

Along with that, I've been told that CFD will be moving away from the "aerial" designation and will be moving to "Platform" and "Ladder," this change will supposedly be happening imminently.
That is great news, it gives a clear distinction and when an officer wants to special call at platform, there won’t be any confusion, or an additional ladder.

ENGINE_4

Some cool things happening within CFD right now and we have a lot to look forward to in the future! I don't know who edited this on the wiki fire site but it appears there's a 6th District Chief in service. They're running out of Station 5 and using an old MRU unit. Calgary Fire Department
I did see a SUV in Station 5 last night, but I thought it was an AHS PRU or Supervisor. Anyone have more information?

RP201

Some cool things happening within CFD right now and we have a lot to look forward to in the future! I don't know who edited this on the wiki fire site but it appears there's a 6th District Chief in service. They're running out of Station 5 and using an old MRU unit. Calgary Fire Department
I did see a SUV in Station 5 last night, but I thought it was an AHS PRU or Supervisor. Anyone have more information?

I noticed Investigator 3 is running out of Station 9. The new District Chief is designated COR and is running out of Station 5. Beyond that I don’t have further information. The fact that they are using an SUV is interesting. Maybe CFD is looking at moving away from the vans.

255-Jacobs

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys. I've been watching this thread for a long time and looking back at posts that date back to 2008 so I've learned a lot about the CFD. I have a question for the guys who know their districts well.

It was to my knowledge that stations in the core such as Station 1 or 2 were overseen by the Central District Chief. But with the very recent addition of the Core District Chief running out of Station 5, what stations does the Central Chief oversee now?

Also a reply to RP201's post. I don't think the CFD is looking to move to SUVs for the DC's. It is to my knowledge that there is one more Transit van at Fleet Maintenance that is used as a spare DC van when one goes into the shops. I think the new Core Chief runs an ex-MRU because the additional Transit van can't be used. That's my idea, I could be very wrong.

ENGINE_4

CFD does have a 6th 2020 Ford Transit high roof van which is used as a spare and I imagine rotated out often, maybe the new District Chief will be assigned that unit one day?

Welcome to the thread,255-Jacobs!
I don't know the specifics to CFD, but I would imagine there is an a good structure in place and that each District Chief has their assigned stations/crews to take of while on duty, with the new Chief. Each District Chief should have about 7 (more or less) stations/crews to take care of. One of the Chiefs (maybe Central Chief?) used to be responsible for special teams as well (aquatics/tech rescue/hazmat) so that factors in as well.

Interesting though you could get any District Chiefs on working fires, etc.. it doesn't matter where the call is in the city.

Anyone know if District Chiefs get assigned to calls based on who's closet/available rather then who's district it is?

RP201

I think it’s safe to say that CFD is entering a transition, the union and it looks like the city agree that Ladders, Rescues and Hazmats are under staffed. The talk is converting some of the Rescues to Ladder companies. On the Transit vans, they are really interesting design, like little command posts. I expect there will always be a DC running out of station 16, in order to help the Battalion Chief run the platoon.

With Station 1 being broken up into two new stations (1 & 3) and the Chief telling the media that Station 2 needs replacing, I can see it being moved a bit further east and maybe a block or two further south. You may see the COR Chief moved into the new two.

I doubt the CFD is going to suddenly dump the Transits. But in the interest of saving money, we could see drivers get moved to the floor. Many city have gone from vans to SUV's.

Personally, I’d like to see some sort of hybrid Air/Light High Rise (tunnel unit) to replace the current Air Light and High Rise units. I’d also like to see two new tandem Rescues to replace Tech Rescues 10 & 11.

Welcome 255-Jocobs!

255-Jacobs

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the welcome guys!
I was taking a bus today which rolls behind Station 31 and the 8th Police District. I saw a stick ladder extended out in the air instead of the usual 115' articulating platform of A0406. Does anyone know if 31A (A0406) went to the shops again or is there something bigger at hand?
(Highly doubt it's one of the new Pierce aerials and I'm pretty sure 31 is gonna get one of the 100' towers not a 107' ascendant but it could be a possibility)

I may head out there later today if the weather is fine later today.

ENGINE_4

I doubt the CFD is going to suddenly dump the Transits. But in the interest of saving money, we could see drivers get moved to the floor. Many city have gone from vans to SUV's.

Personally, I’d like to see some sort of hybrid Air/Light High Rise (tunnel unit) to replace the current Air Light and High Rise units. I’d also like to see two new tandem Rescues to replace Tech Rescues 10 & 11.
Calgary Fire is on there 3rd generation if you will of hightop command vans. They have bench seating and a huge table, along with monitors and computers and such - I think CFD still loves them. They are literally a mini mobile command post

The Tunnel unit is probably going to be a F550 flatbed with rail wheels attached or something similar, I did see one X-Calgary Transit Works F550 at the shops last week. Maybe they will use that and either fab it at the shops or send it out and put a box or something on it. It'll probably end up like the Dive Unit or the Parkade Unit - sitting in the back of a fire hall and cross staffed when needed, just like the old rat rail unit at Station 1 was.

I was told a new High Rise truck and Air Light's were being spect'd awhile ago... I'm not sure if CFD still has a contract with SVI trucks or if those would go back out to tender, but we can expect a much shorter High Rise unit then what we have now lol

What CFD is doing with Tech Rescue's in interesting. New tech support's are needed for sure - but will current Tech Rescue 11 replace one of them?

ENGINE_4

Thanks for the welcome guys!
I was taking a bus today which rolls behind Station 31 and the 8th Police District. I saw a stick ladder extended out in the air instead of the usual 115' articulating platform of A0406. Does anyone know if 31A (A0406) went to the shops again or is there something bigger at hand?
(Highly doubt it's one of the new Pierce aerials and I'm pretty sure 31 is gonna get one of the 100' towers not a 107' ascendant but it could be a possibility)

I may head out there later today if the weather is fine later today.

The Bronto's go to the shops constantly... they are old and expensive to fix, that's why one of them was moved from 23 to 25 Station. Also why CFD went with straight stick rear-mount towers and not articulating trucks like the bronto's - all around too expensive; up front, training and maintenance.

31 is likely using a spare truck atm. And I hate to burst anyone's bubble... but the new Towers could very well change stations when they go into service. hopefully CFD adds a 4th tower ladder to the order and then there can be one in each quadrant of the city