CFD Apparatus status

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Number 6 pump is a very unique machine. It's not at all like any of the other pumps in the city, except that it is a truck that has water, hose, and a water tank - and for that reason, because it's not like other pumpers (and thus has to have its own unique spare parts), I hear CFD wants to get rid of it. It was another experiment as far as I know.

It's a Sterling chassis (Sterling is what the heavy truck division of Ford got renamed about 10 years ago), tandem-axle rear end, with a thousand-gallon water tank instead of the 500 gallons most other pumpers (in the City) have. It's more like a city tanker that carries 4 people.. city tankers are between 1200 and 1400 gallons (while those of us in the rural area have tankers that carry between 2200 and 4500 gallons of water).

I'll post a pic in this reply space when I get it uploaded... Photobucket is being a bit of a tool right now.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
wow that is a interesting pump/tank there, thanks again for the info and pics, i love the calgary fire department and always have questions about them =D

MrVelvet

Is 2 emerg a spare right now?

I saw an odd looking emerg downtown heading to a call that was marked 4 emerg, but not the new body style.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
was this 4 emerg.

- a freightliner chassis

- with only 3 seats in the cab

-with a staircase (on the back)

because i think thats the only spare emerg. that calgary fire. is using, im not to sure =D, (this rig isold 4 emerg.)

MrVelvet

was this 4 emerg.

- a freightliner chassis

- with only 3 seats in the cab

-with a staircase (on the back)

because i think thats the only spare emerg. that calgary fire. is using, im not to sure =D, (this rig isold 4 emerg.)

Thats the one.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Yeah, that's E0903 - it was #4 for a year or so, then every emerg in the city except the "new" #26 was replaced with a new Spartan truck... E0903 was the "best" of the older ones so it became the spare.

#26, for what it's worth, operates the old Autocar/VolvoWhiteGMC truck that was #20 Emerg since it was purchased in 1990. That truck moves - they work(ed) with me on Highway 8 for years and would easily do a buck twenty without breaking a sweat.

Jay911

Feed Provider
wow that is a interesting pump/tank there

I've actually dispatched them as a tanker in recent times because of the lack of tankers available. #30 Pump had a vehicle fire and the nearest available tanker was #22. Instead of sending 22 all the way across the city I (got permission to) back 'em up with 6.

MrVelvet

Although, that spare emerg went down after the alarm call they were on this morning due to an alternator failure.

Saw a picture of 25 tanker, the back end of it, and it looks really good. Let me see if I can find it again.

MrVelvet

Here it is:

2562073673_a8c95bfa03_o.jpg

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
dose anybody know of any new rig purchases?, possable new aerials since half the fleet is down =D

Jay911

Feed Provider
Is there a reason that they'd use that truck at 26 and not the 2003 spare in use right now at 2?

I don't know. E0590 is bigger and can hold more stuff (IIRC). It's better suited for highway use, which is more likely for where 26 would work.

E0903 might have even been part of the "light rescue" experiment I referenced earlier.

25's new tank looks like a beast, but I hear it still only has 1500 gallons (if that). Being a rural guy, I want my tankers to have at least 2200+ gallons on board. When you consider that most fire pumpers right now will pump 1250, 1500, or 1750 gallons per minute (gpm), it makes more sense to move as much water as you physically can. :)

Jay911

Feed Provider
dose anybody know of any new rig purchases?, possable new aerials since half the fleet is down =D

The most recent news I heard was that tankers were going to be bought or refurbished. However, in the interim, the aerial situation came up, and, CFD has made rumblings that they want to focus their attention on in-city responses - not leaving the city limits except as mutual aid/backup, leaving the rural responses to the rural departments. There are still areas inside the city limits where there are no (or few) hydrants, so tankers are still required, but I would not be surprised if aerials are on the list.

MrVelvet

I was at a small GIS conference a couple months ago and the City was there and showed a map of water supply in the city and it gave me a really good understanding of why the tankers are where they are - very informative.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
im surprised that calgary fire dosn't have more then 4 tankers in all it's fleet, i was just woundering is #18 aerial still running that new 2007 105ft. smeal aerial?

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
i have a question is 26 emerg. the old 14 emerg.?, and isn't 14 up at station31?

Last edited: