CFD Apparatus status

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Hey! As you probably know, Calgary's proposed budget for the next 4 years is out - CFD is on pages: 215-222.
As always it is an interesting read!
- Real emphasis on meeting a 90% target on getting the first alarm on scene in 11 minutes
-The "removing one ancillary apparatus from existing fleet" will occur in 2019 (To save money - possibly Engine 48,49 or 50????)
-The current Station 1 will be replaced with 2 - 2 bay fire stations (Station 1 and 3 (East Village) Doesn't look like it will be fully operational until 2022)
- Money has been requested for new Apparatus (Heavy Rescue Team and new Engines for new stations) $7.7 Million over 2 years - should get 2 - new 9 Heavy style heavy rescues, 2 - 9 Heavy Support trucks and the currents can become reliable spares!!!!! And 3 Engines?
-$3 Million each year for Apparatus life cycle replacements (New Tower Ladders/Tenders/Etc...)

Link: http://www.calgary.ca/cfod/finance/...-2022/Proposed_Plans_and_Budget_2019-2022.pdf

technocardy

Can someone shed some light on why the CFD Fire Wiki says that Station 10 has a new 2018 Rescue out of that hall?

Was edited on Nov 5 but I haven’t heard a single call for Rescue 10

ahp309

Also see Station 13 has been removed and the Bronto is out of 25. Interesting line in the "on order"....Gimeax 52m Articulating Platform Aerial.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
The budget process had messed up the plans for CFD's Rescues, though I believe they are back on track... I falsely assumed they were going to get rid of a Squad but instead CFD was going to cut a Rescue (Looks like 2 Rescue but I don't know and now it does not matter because the $1.7 Million has been put back in CFD's budget)

originally, a 2018 SVI Rescue was in station 10.. then it went to 2 Station. their is no Rescue in 10 Station at this time. It was never fixed on firewiki.

The Bronto has been out of #25 Station since June-August? and is still being served by the 2008 105' Smeal Sirius Quint - which i believe runs secondary out of 25 instead on the Tender.

YYC never renewed their contract with CFD in September and so the crew is out of there..

Keep your eyes out for that new 2019-2022 city Budget ;)

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
YYC never renewed their contract with CFD in September and so the crew is out of there..

I think you're not going to find they're "out of there" yet. I believe they are there until the end of the first quarter of 2019 or thereabouts.

For what it's worth, from this post on the Alberta Fire Chiefs' Association page, it would appear that FireFly Ltd (who IIRC is also providing services in Fort McMurray at YMM) got the job. (They're hiring FFs as well as captains, but get your papers in by Wednesday.)

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
I think you're not going to find they're "out of there" yet. I believe they are there until the end of the first quarter of 2019 or thereabouts.

For what it's worth, from this post on the Alberta Fire Chiefs' Association page, it would appear that FireFly Ltd (who IIRC is also providing services in Fort McMurray at YMM) got the job. (They're hiring FFs as well as captains, but get your papers in by Wednesday.)

Thank you for the clarification Jay!

Does anyone know the call sign(s) for reserve Engines? Their is a reserve Engine in Station #33, not sure about other outlying stations.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Station 21 is under renovation at the moment, only Engine 21 is in the station.
Rescue 21 and the Boat/Boat Tow have relocated to 35 Station and Tender 35 is in Station 34, I don't know where the Hazmat recovery unit is

JABoomer

Can anyone tell me what the Rescue trucks are typically dispatched for?

For example are they the first truck out for car accidents, medical calls, and CO alarms? Do they also get called to structural fires?

ahp309

Can anyone tell me what the Rescue trucks are typically dispatched for?
For example are they the first truck out for car accidents, medical calls, and CO alarms? Do they also get called to structural fires?

Yes to MVC's, fire alarms and fires. Will respond to medical and CO calls if operating as a primary unit in a district.

Last edited:

JABoomer

Yes to MVC's, fire alarms and fires. Will respond to medical and CO calls if operating as a primary unit in a district.
Thanks! Can you elaborate about what the responsibilities of the 'primary unit' in a district are?

ahp309

Each station has a district (response area). Engines are normally the primary response unit on calls. If an engine is tied up or has gone to training etc, another unit in their hall (ladder, rescue, haz mat, high rise support, tender, air light support) will be designated primary or if they are not available, another rig will be brought in to cover the hall as primary.

JRPhotography

Photographer