CFD Apparatus status

JABoomer

What is the difference between the equipment carried and dispatch between a standard 2-axle Rescue and the tandem 9 Heavy Rescue?

I assume 9 Heavy Rescue has tools, equipment, and cribbing for multiple types of technical rescue and the smaller rescues may have more generalized equipment. But in what situations is 9 called upon?

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
9 Heavy responds to calls in their first due area like any other Rescue in the city (Fires, MVC's, Alarms, etc..)
But 9 Heavy Rescue is the city's Heavy Rescue Team. You can think of them as a two piece unit - 9 Heavy and 9 Heavy support. The Rescue carries rope rescue equipment, cutting torches, special listening devices, some paratech equipment, larger trash pumps, concrete breakers,etc... where as the Support Truck carries the wood, way more paratech/ shoring tools, cutting station for said wood, etc......

The Heavy Rescue Team runs with 12 firefighters 24/7 6 FF's at 9 Station, 6 FF's at 25 Station. This will all change again when CFD adds a second HRT to the front line.

Here's a short list of what they do: The City of Calgary - Heavy rescue
If you want to learn a lot more about whats on the trucks a tour of the trucks is your best bet (I highly recommend it, you won't be disappointed): The City of Calgary - Fire Station Tours

JABoomer

Thanks. I guess I'm trying to figure out how the regular rescue trucks are utilized, given that every engine carries rescue and extrication tools for MVI ect. and the heavy rescue would be called out to anything requiring serious technical rescue equipment.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a run down on units that were at the second alarm explosion/fire this morning (Feb 17th, 2019) in Douglas Glen? I see Engine 16 in news releases, but no Engine 30 or 19. Thanks!

ahp309

In the videos I saw Engine 39, Aerial 39, South Chief, Engine 19, Aerial 19, and Heavy Rescue 9. There was also several other Engines, & Chiefs vans that I could not identify.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Yes! I did not see Engine 19, but I'll take your word for it. I'm more wondering about Engine 16, 25 and 25 Aerial. CFD doesn't seem to enjoy the term "Third alarm" or at least they don't officially say it to the media a lot which is fine. I am just wondering if the IC transmitted the third alarm given the conditions or did they request the Heavy Rescue Team for the explosion? And/if was Engine 16 on the third alarm or did they transport the pod truck with the hazmat pod or collapse pod? Just some thoughts..

technocardy

Happened just now.

Aerial 11 has permanently relocated to Station 40.

Station 11 as of right now only has the Engine.

Station 40 now has an Engine, Aerial and the K9 unit.

Is this to make room for the heavy rescue team that's supposed to relocate to 11?

technocardy

Happened just now.

Aerial 27 has permanently relocated to Station 32.

Will be out of service for tonight, tomorrow morning will be back in service as Aerial 32.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Finally!!!! Nice to see some better Aerial coverage in the NE, I wonder if one of them will get a bush buggy.

technocardy

More truck movement today.

Rescue 2 has permanently relocated to Station 9 and is now Rescue 9

Heavy Rescue 9 has permanently relocated to Station 11 and is now Technical Rescue 11

Heavy Rescue Support 9 has permanently relocated to Station 11 and is now Technical Support 11 (cross staffed with Engine 11)

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the updates Technocardy! Is 11 Heavy Rescue's call sign "Technical Rescue 11" on the radio?
There has to be a Rescue north of downtown, either Rescue 8 moved to 10 station or 10 Heavy Rescue is in service

technocardy

Station 10 is now a part of the rescue team!

Station 10 now has Technical Rescue 10.

They will be getting a Technical Rescue Support Vehicle, but until that is delivered E10 will act as the support vehicle.

The TR unit out of 10 (for now) is a regular rescue style 2018 unit (like what R4 is).

technocardy

Thank you for the updates Technocardy! Is 11 Heavy Rescue's call sign "Technical Rescue 11" on the radio?
There has to be a Rescue north of downtown, either Rescue 8 moved to 10 station or 10 Heavy Rescue is in service
You’re very welcome!

Yes, both Technical Rescue 10 & 11 will have the call sign both on CAD, through locution (auto dispatch) and over the air as Technical Rescue.

Ghostpolice24

YYC Filmer
My guess is that if there's no actual new Heavy Rescue/Technical Rescue unit, that they're using one of the new rescues as a temporary replacement or the 2011 Rescue as a temporary Technical Rescue truck until the new ones arrive. I'll try to make my way down there sometime Sunday and I'll update if I see anything.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Their are no new Rescues yet. TR10 is running as (R0118) which I believe was Rescue 31. But Rescue 31 is a 2018 Rescue. On firewiki we have 7 labeled Rescues, but CFD only has 6 2018 SVI Rescues. My guess is Rescue 12 is running the 2011 Truck

ahp309

They are using TR11 and TR10 on the radio.

Engine 17, Aerial 40 and Rescue 21 responded to the U of C for a wax fire. Did not know there is a rescue 21, but heard dispatch mention them 3 times on the call.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
That's a little drive for Aerial 40.... Station 21 Renovations might be done? Shifting 35 Rescue back to 21