CFD Apparatus status

JRPhotography

Photographer
Had a busy day Out and about but was able to catch a few apparatus at a structure fire and water rescue. Also, was great to meet Ghostpolice24.

All Calgary FD units
Aerial 6
HazMat 17
Tech Rescue 10
Engine 17
FRP 20

CFD aquatics teams did an amazing job pulling a man from the Bow River today. Big shout out to all the First responders involved!!

Attachments

• 6ABB2688-CB3B-4834-8F38-FED4A84766B7.jpeg
    6ABB2688-CB3B-4834-8F38-FED4A84766B7.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 3D0FEC97-5DD5-428E-8482-4D9D29BFB79D.jpeg
    3D0FEC97-5DD5-428E-8482-4D9D29BFB79D.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 24
  • CE88796B-38D8-4214-B8F3-6CFA2166C24F.jpeg
    CE88796B-38D8-4214-B8F3-6CFA2166C24F.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 83CA06C6-FDC4-428C-9895-7FCC91262FC7.jpeg
    83CA06C6-FDC4-428C-9895-7FCC91262FC7.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 21
  • FC03B2C6-BB96-411B-A4CE-AF1F387D1797.jpeg
    FC03B2C6-BB96-411B-A4CE-AF1F387D1797.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 20

Ghostpolice24

YYC Filmer
Had a busy day Out and about but was able to catch a few apparatus at a structure fire and water rescue. Also, was great to meet Ghostpolice24.

All Calgary FD units
Aerial 6
HazMat 17
Tech Rescue 10
Engine 17
FRP 20

CFD aquatics teams did an amazing job pulling a man from the Bow River today. Big shout out to all the First responders involved!!

Love the photos, and it was great meeting you as well! Looking forward to bumping into you again some day. I also caught a picture of Air Light 7 a few hours after the water rescue call drive by Station 1, so I'll have to send a picture of that but, good news is the man that got rescued from the water is alive.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Yes, all the AHS ambulances moved out of station 14. Two of them went to that station? Engine 47 has its own bay now :)

Inside it’s only big enough for one truck, bathroom, and 3 recliners. It’s by far the saddest EMS station I have ever seen in my life.

JRPhotography

Photographer
Apparatus at Disaster Alley today
Tech Rescue 10
HazMat 17
The big Bronto 167’
Engine 16
Pod Truck
Boat Tow 21
Mobile Command
YYC ARFF Red 2

Along with some other interesting vehicles such as the new City of Calgary emergency management trailer and CPS collision reconstruction.

Cheers,
JR

Ghostpolice24

YYC Filmer
Apparatus at Disaster Alley today
Tech Rescue 10
HazMat 17
The big Bronto 167’
Engine 16
Pod Truck
Boat Tow 21
Mobile Command
YYC ARFF Red 2

Along with some other interesting vehicles such as the new City of Calgary emergency management trailer and CPS collision reconstruction.

Cheers,
JR

Wish we met up there because I was there too, haha. Oh, also the Big Bronto is officially retired. It's atm only used for showcasing at events and such.
I've got confirmation from a Firefighter that within the next couple years there will be a new Bronto type rig, since it's kinda needed due to the high rise buildings.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
The Bronto is an amazing piece of equipment and I love the truck and the idea of it, but it’s not really needed. Calgary is one of the only departments in North America that runs a truck like the Bronto. It’s great for high rise firefighting and high angle/ low angle rescues but that’s it. CFD already pulled the plug on an order to replace the current Bronto and given CFD’s current budget, they might just spend that money on other apparatus..

JABoomer

Finally made it to a Disaster Alley after missing the date the past few years.

I had a great conversation with the 10 Technical Rescue Lieutenant. Some things I did not know:

-10 Technical Rescue carries different equipment than the rest of the twin axle rescues, such as para-struts.
-11 Heavy Rescue will be replaced by an identical truck to 10 Technical Rescue. They've found the extra equipment carried by a tandem truck is equipment only used once every 5 years and will be placed in a pod when the new truck arrives.
-Hazmat trucks are commonly dispatched to structure fires.

The HLA Bronto is a really impressive apparatus, but even the below grade rescue capacity can be covered by the regular brontos in the fleet (23 and 40). So is the extra 50 feet of reach for the HLA cost effective? I don't know the answer but it strikes me as a nice to have and not must have based on what other cities are running. If I were CFD I would split the aerials between 100' sticks and 117' Bronto aerial towers.

JABoomer

It seems CFD (and cities in general) prefer the larger tandem aerial apparatus, whether they be aerial ladders, ladder towers, or aerial towers. Are smaller twin-axle quint-type aerial ladder apparatus ever considered for the mobility of driving the alleys to set-up at the rear of a residential structural fire?

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
It seems CFD (and cities in general) prefer the larger tandem aerial apparatus, whether they be aerial ladders, ladder towers, or aerial towers. Are smaller twin-axle quint-type aerial ladder apparatus ever considered for the mobility of driving the alleys to set-up at the rear of a residential structural fire?
I imagine they are, but departments typically want 100’+ foot aerials with pumps and water so the weight of the truck means you need that third axel. Of course a truck could be engineered to be smaller and have only 2 axels and still be a Quint, but they typically can only have a 75’ ladder on it (Like the 75’ Pierce Quint in CFD’s fleet) Unless you dump the pump and water - like Toronto recently did with their E-One aerials.

Then again - what are departments SOP’s for setting up in an alley way? Are they allowed too? And space too... in an alley there isn’t much room and with that extra 25’, crews might as well set up on the next block where they can probably plug there own hydrant.

Piece has come out with there Ascent series of Aerials. You might find what you’re looking for with 100’ quints in two axels..?

JABoomer

I imagine they are, but departments typically want 100’+ foot aerials with pumps and water so the weight of the truck means you need that third axel. Of course a truck could be engineered to be smaller and have only 2 axels and still be a Quint, but they typically can only have a 75’ ladder on it (Like the 75’ Pierce Quint in CFD’s fleet) Unless you dump the pump and water - like Toronto recently did with their E-One aerials.

Then again - what are departments SOP’s for setting up in an alley way? Are they allowed too? And space too... in an alley there isn’t much room and with that extra 25’, crews might as well set up on the next block where they can probably plug there own hydrant.

Piece has come out with there Ascent series of Aerials. You might find what you’re looking for with 100’ quints in two axels..?

Yes, Pierce (Ascendant 107') and E-ONE (Metro 100) both have two-axle 100' quints. Your point about hydrants renders the whole concept pointless, I did not think of that!

JABoomer

CFD HAZMAT units...I'm wondering what do they do and how do they operate? Maybe I can lay down my current understanding and someone may be able to correct or add to it.

HAZMAT apparatus (4, 17, 19, spare) - Respond when hazardous materials have been spilled. Carry HAZMAT suits and PPE, material containment equipment such as absorbent and booms, and presumable neutralizing/collection equipment. There's a large interior space which I'm assuming is used for office/command functions as well as donning/doffing suits in all weather. Not sure if there's a lab, material analysis, or decontamination equipment on board.

HAZTEC vans (1, 2, support vehicle) - Presumably perform the same function as the larger apparatus but respond to small scale incidents.

Air monitoring vehicle - Deployed to major spills to ensure public safety not at risk by air contamination?

HAZMAT recovery 34 - Used to bring larger collection containers for clean-up and to take containers to safe disposal site?

HAZMAT pod - No idea what's in the pod or when it would be deployed.

I know that CFD engines are equipped to deal with motor vehicle incidents. How much or what type of liquid has to hit the ground before HAZMAT is called? I've been told that the large HAZMAT apparatus are very busy and that they are frequently at structure fires, what would their role be at a structure fire? What else are they frequently called out for?

Appreciate any insight!

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
At a working fire or above the Hazmat crew is monitoring the scene and surrounding scene for hazmat hazards, checking/monitoring chemicals in said fire building, checking water/foam run off (taking samples)? And also assisting in firefighting at the scene - ex. 19 Hazmat crew can go in for fire attack

You’re also missing hazmat Engines and Task Forces. 4 Engines - 4,17,19 and 30? T.F’s - 17 Aerial, 4 Rescue, 19 Aerial, and a couple other trucks that I’m missing... These crews have special detectors, training and equipment

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
CFD's 3 Hazmat units are quite busy as you said JABoomer, Responding to different calls including gas leaks. They used to be staffed by 2 Firefighters, now depending on how many Firefighters are on shift its 3FF's - One being a Haztech Officer.

Also, judging by CTV's news video of a vehicle that crashed into a pond earlier today - it looks like Engine 41 is running one of the 7 - 2018 Smeal Engines

JABoomer

Okay, I give up. I can tell the Rosenbauers from the Smeals, but how can you tell this is a 2018 Smeal and not a 2016 or 2017!?

CFD Engine 41.png

I have to hand it to CFD. Of all the major cities, they have the most compact front-line engines. They are as short as a lot of interface engines I bet, yet apparently still have all the equipment needed for structural fires, MVIs, medical calls, etc.