CFD Apparatus status

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Aerial 23 is still in service at 16 station - no 23 Rescue. Maybe their were no spare Aerials left on Monday?

Seeing as how 23,25 and 39 have Aerials and 9 lost their Rescue, maybe we could see 25 lose there Aerial and get a Rescue and then cross staff the Tender? Have 5 spare Aerials in the fleet again and a 3rd Rescue back in the South.. would be nice

JABoomer

Aerial 23 is still in service at 16 station - no 23 Rescue. Maybe their were no spare Aerials left on Monday?

Seeing as how 23,25 and 39 have Aerials and 9 lost their Rescue, maybe we could see 25 lose there Aerial and get a Rescue and then cross staff the Tender? Have 5 spare Aerials in the fleet again and a 3rd Rescue back in the South.. would be nice

Isn't that overkill? CFD has roughly 8 aerials, a tower, 2 Brontos, and the HLA. With 4 aerials as spares. 4 spares seems like a lot to me for 12 apparatus. Between regular maintenance, mechanical failure, accidents, etc. I find it hard to believe they'd ever find all 4 spares in service. Do the spare apparatus get used more often than I'm imagining?

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
The spares are kept quite busy... we would have to look at day to day operations, but from what I see all 4 Spares are in front line service regularly. Hence why CFD ordered a new stock Aerial to use for training.

It appears I have been bamboozled. CFD received 6 - 2018 SVI Rescues. (4,8,X-9,10(Tech rescue configuration),12,26) and re-decorated one of their 2011's to look like the 2018's - which is why I thought 31 Rescue was a 2018 Rescue - here's a picture. Rescue 31 is (R0311)74886

technocardy

Isn't that overkill? CFD has roughly 8 aerials, a tower, 2 Brontos, and the HLA. With 4 aerials as spares. 4 spares seems like a lot to me for 12 apparatus. Between regular maintenance, mechanical failure, accidents, etc. I find it hard to believe they'd ever find all 4 spares in service. Do the spare apparatus get used more often than I'm imagining?

There's currently a recall on aerials according to a firefighter friend of mine which is causing Calgary to be critically short on aerials. They're having to get shipped out to Vancouver for the recall repairs. At one point we were completely out of aerials and aerial 23 went out of service and was replaced with rescue 23. So yes, at one point all the spares were in service and we still didn't have enough.

technocardy

It appears that the renovations at Station 23 are complete. All construction equipment has been moved out and the Engine is back in its bay. I'll keep checking to see when Aerial and Bush Buggy 23 return to 23 and will update accordingly.

ahp309

Aerial 05 11 was northbound on Hwy 2 on Monday loaded on a flat deck. Taking the north route to the beach.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
There's currently a recall on aerials according to a firefighter friend of mine which is causing Calgary to be critically short on aerials. They're having to get shipped out to Vancouver for the recall repairs. At one point we were completely out of aerials and aerial 23 went out of service and was replaced with rescue 23. So yes, at one point all the spares were in service and we still didn't have enough.

Fun timbit, if you go waaayyyyyyy back in this thread you'll find that before the 2011 Smeals were delivered/ put in service Aerials were out of service so much that Bush Buggies and spare Engines used to run as Aerials - sometimes for days or longer on end

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
That would have to come down to the insurance estimate and what the Chiefs/Maintenace department wants to do with it

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Confirmed Fleet movements from '49NorthMedia' on Calgary Fire's wiki page - 21 Boat Tow and Jet Boat to 35 station, Aerial 40 to 31, Rescue 31 to 27, 18BB to 31, Rescue 4 to 39, Aerial 39 to 30, Airlight 7 to 4 and Highrise 5 to 2

Ghostpolice24

YYC Filmer
Parkade 9 is now at 2. Also where was Station 6 located before they built the station they're using now?
couple pictures of Parkade 2 from yesterday.

ahp309

Station 6 was originally at 11 st and Memorial Drive (building is still there on the SW corner of 10st and Memorial Drive). Then moved west to 19 st and Westmount Blvd. (Now an EMS station). Moved to a temporary station in Bridlewood which was renumbered 37 so that the current 6 could be in the downtown.

Last edited:

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
So Aerial 1 is back at Station 1, why was it at Station 2 for a few weeks?
The side walks in front of Station 1 were being redone. The crews had to switch bays a few times so they could get out on to the street. It was a bit to much to have the Aerial there and I don’t think the truck would have made the sharp turns

Is the rat rail at station 2 as well then? It usually goes with the parkade truck - it tows it

Ghostpolice24

YYC Filmer
The side walks in front of Station 1 were being redone. The crews had to switch bays a few times so they could get out on to the street. It was a bit to much to have the Aerial there and I don’t think the truck would have made the sharp turns

Is the rat rail at station 2 as well then? It usually goes with the parkade truck - it tows it
When I was there I didnt see it unless its behind the Engines or HR