CFD Chief Assignments

Status
Not open for further replies.

h00sierdaddy

Can someone explain what the CFD Battalion Chief Assignments are on a Still & Box:

Box Chief:

Plans Chief:

Fire-Attack Chief:

High-Rise Chief:

Any others I missed? Thanks!

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
These assignments only apply to high-rise incidents:

Box Chief/ Fire-Attack Chief: Takes command of all operations on the fire floor.

Plans Chief: Reports to the Command Van , assumes command of all operations in the Command Van (2-7-1 thru 2-7-8)

Fire-Attack Chief: See above

High-Rise Chief : 2nd Arriving Battalion Chief (Designated by the OEMC), directed by the Incident Commander to duties as necessary.

***Incident Command may be changed depending on the degree of the fire. Higher ranking Chief Officer could arrive and may "assume command" and is supposed to be reported via the radio. ***

Mikepepd

According to the newspapers (!!) after the Washington St fire, the CFD revised procedures to limit the number of "assumes command" as higher Chief Officers arrive, using the Incident Command structure. I wondered about that - it sounds like you could have a Battalion Chief running a 5-11and higher chiefs doing support. In the above illustration, who would be the IC? The box/fire attack chief?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
For any confirmed high-rise fire, a Still and Box & EMS Plan 1 are automatically requested. A Deputy District Chief is assigned on a Still and Box so no, the fire Attack Chief would not be the Incident Commander (I.C.). They usually want the IC looking at the "big picture" from outside or in the lobby directing operations. I could see the DDC being the IC for the duration, unless some higher ranking Chief Officer comes on the scene and wants to be in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.