CG channels in Great Lakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchman

I will be visiting Ludington Michigan and would like to monitor the comms from the CG station there. It is in sector Great Lakes and Group Grand Haven. My question is are their comms on the standard CG marine channels or are they using the CG channels (CGxxx)? if they are using the new channels are they in analog or P25?
Thanks for the help.

Scott

nsrailfan6130

I will be visiting Ludington Michigan and would like to monitor the comms from the CG station there. It is in sector Great Lakes and Group Grand Haven. My question is are their comms on the standard CG marine channels or are they using the CG channels (CGxxx)? if they are using the new channels are they in analog or P25?
Thanks for the help.

Scott

I don't think they use the P25 here. I'm probably mistaken though, but, their operations channels as well as the VHF marine channels would probably be my best guess.

ecps92

Best thing to do is program them all in [6 VHF Marine] and the 30 LMR's, you will be suprised what you find and can report back.

Been to areas, where everyone says they use VHF Marine, then I plug in Search and amazing, what is found.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Question

What are these "Other" channels(not the standard marine VHF Chan,) I have been reading about on this board "LMR" Channels and LANT Channels. Can someone explain can someone post a link where I can get the Freqs.Thanks

NML-21

Group Grand Haven doesn't exist anymore. All Comms on Lake Michigan have been switched to Sector Lake Michigan out of Milwaukee w/ an exception to the individual stations. They operate on 23 and 81 on the western part and 21 and 83 on the eastern part.

Mbk127k

I don't think they operate the net channels yet in the Great Lakes, i may be wrong but they still haven't installed Rescue 21 yet in the great lakes so they still might be operating on the old LANT channels and/or VHF Marine i read it somewhere that they will still be using VHF marine for operations until they get Rescue 21

ecps92

Guess everyones milage will vary [Highway vs City], my experience had been the CG VHF LMR were in use [LANT Retired] before Rescue 21 moved into various Sectors [East Coast]

Don't forget the new UHF CG LMR that is being found, here on the East Coast [Search MT Fedcom Blog]

I don't think they operate the net channels yet in the Great Lakes, i may be wrong but they still haven't installed Rescue 21 yet in the great lakes so they still might be operating on the old LANT channels and/or VHF Marine i read it somewhere that they will still be using VHF marine for operations until they get Rescue 21

MFD4305

Chicagoland?

So - given all of that good info - does anyone in Chicagoland monitor CG regularly? If so, what frequencies have the action?

patchman

Hello,

I have been able to confirm that the Coast Guard in Ludington Michigan uses the standard marine CG channels of 16, 21A, and 81A. I was able to confirm due to a plane crash offshore of Ludington State Park.
Assets included helo 6517 from AS Traverse City, 25' boat (ludington) and 44 or 47' boat(St. Manistee)
Thanks.

Scott

SCPD

QRT
I know in the Traverse City area you hear Air Station TC and Sector Lake Michigan East also the station out of Charlevoix they use ch 16/21a/and the marine information ch 157.100.

davolson

Premium Subscriber
In the green bay area I just monitor 22... but is that for "general" messages only then? Sounds like I'll need to do some re-programing.

ecps92

156.8000 Ch.16 is where the CG will start an announcement, unless URGENT, and then move to 157.1000 Ch.22 for the complete information broadcast [wx, obstructions, BOLO, etc]

The Routine CG Operations will vary by Sector on 21, 23, 81, 83 and now moving to P25 on the LMR Channels.

In the green bay area I just monitor 22... but is that for "general" messages only then? Sounds like I'll need to do some re-programing.

SCPD

QRT
If you are in the Traverse City Michigan area lots of talk on ch 21 due to Air Station Traverse City plus the Coast Guard Aux does shorline patrols along with the helios on and off thru out the day.

http://www.uscg.mil/d9/astc/

Last edited:

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Yeah over here in Bay City we have our Essexville station. USCG: Sector Detroit - STA Saginaw River
From what I hear though its the busiest in MI.
I have all the freqs programmed as in the links above, but all I get as stated are the usual channels 16,21,22,23,81,82,83. The air ops are rare, but only have picked it up when there are a couple helos and/or CG planes up talking to another.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Great Lakes Coast Guard

Picking up a lot more encrypted comms between coast guard and group Buffalo NY, they use secure comms more often this year.
Steve

ecps92

On which channels?? VHF Marine or the new LMR ??

The use of the LMR Channels has increased across the country as Rescue 21 was implemented

Picking up a lot more encrypted comms between coast guard and group Buffalo NY, they use secure comms more often this year.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.